Weekly Rundown: October 31 – November 6

I used to do a little but a little wouldn’t do, so the little got more and more.
I just keep tryin’ to get a little better, said a little better than before.

– Guns N Roses, Mr. Brownstone

Welcome to November and a race-free week for me.

12065944_10153739608315850_1444186405421150811_n_thumb.jpg

Whether I’m gunning for a PR or using them as a training run, I love races- but I’ll admit that it’s nice to have some flexibility in my schedule in weeks I don’t run a race. Wednesday is a track workout, so when Saturday is a race, that only leaves 2-3 days in between to recover. Recovery isn’t too hard when the race is a 5K, but 10Ks and half marathons are a bit tricky to schedule around. Here’s how the week went:

Monday 8 miles including 5 mile HMP tempo
Tuesday 8.1 miles
Wednesday BodyPump + 6.2 miles (track)
Thursday No workout.
Friday 6.2 miles
Saturday 12 miles (bridge)
Sunday 8 miles easy
Total 48.5 miles + BodyPump

I recovered pretty well from Race 13.1 Charleston. My easy/recovery days were a little slower this week but I was okay with that since it meant I was getting the most out of my hard days (I’m borrowing this line from Laura at This Runner’s Recipes but I feel like it’s very true). I ran a 5 mile tempo run on the treadmill on Monday and it didn’t feel too bad for just two days after a 16 miler.

Wednesday morning, I went back to BodyPump. Getting up for the 6 AM class is tough, and the class mostly consists of old people, but I found my spot in the back and didn’t talk to people. I’ll probably stick to BodyPump once a week, but my upper body strength was virtually nonexistent after I stopped a few months ago. My shoulders, triceps, and chest could tell it had been way too long (when I lift on my own, I stick to lower body exercises).

IMG_20160316_062250_thumb.jpg

We had a big track workout since the Ironman North Carolina peeps are back. It’s great to see that everyone finished injury-free and recovered well. The weather was a bit warm but it felt like Fall because the SHS football team and band were practicing. You can tell I wish we had more than two days of Fall in Charleston.

Since everyone is training for or recovering from different events, we all did different workouts. I ran 8 x 600m with 200m recovery and it went pretty well with consistent splits.

IMG_20161102_184219

Friday’s run was a weird one. I woke up starving and ate frosted mini wheats for breakfast with a bottled protein shake on top instead of milk. I figured it would be slower so I wore an old pair of trainers with a hole in them (because 6 easy miles, who cares) I ended up having a really amazing progressive run with the last mile around goal half pace. I guess that’s what happens when you eat carbs…

On Saturday I did a long run of 12 miles with two trips over the Cooper River Bridge. My knee started hurting at the end of the run and… ouch. At first, I thought it was taper crazies, but the knee was hurting after Sunday’s 8 easy miles (which Melissa and I took really easy since we had big workouts the day before). I’m scared it’s ITBS, but it’s so crazy that it came on suddenly!

I’m keeping my hopes up that things will be better in a few days with lower mileage, rest, and recovery. I’ve learned that positive thinking works best when you work, so in the meantime, I’ll be stretching, icing, foam rolling, and resting.

I hope everyone has a good week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: October 31 – November 6

1. Pam says:

My ITBS occurred suddenly, in fact in mid race and I thought it was my knee. I saw the Ortho doctor the next day and was diagnosed with ITBS. went to the physical therapist and after just a couple visits was so much better. Good luck Amy, I know your race is coming up soon.

2. Michelle says:

I’m dealing with ITBS right now too. I’ve gone to the PT twice now and it is helping immensely. I also went to my massage therapist and told her to wreck havoc on my IT band and she made it so that I could race Saturday with no pain at all. It was about 5 hours post race that my IT band tightened right back up and I felt the knee pain. I hope you get some relief soon, running with pain is the absolute worst.

I hope you get some relief as well. I’m really sorry that it started hurting again so soon after the race for you, too, because that means you can’t really celebrate your race and PR when you’re suddenly in pain again. It’s really frustrating to be this far along in training and experience setbacks like this :(.

3. Sorry about your knee! I hope it’s just a blip.My ITB bothers me from time to time- this has been going on for YEARS. But the past several months it has been quiet! *knock on wood*. I do a lot of hip/glute stuff and of course stretching, but it seems like whenever it pops up, it’s out of the blue and there is no rhyme or reason.

I don’t race a lot, but when I do, I hate the way the 10 days before the race have to be very thought out as to what workouts to do and how much resting. Races mess up my running “just for fun”. !

Yeah, 5K races aren’t TOO bad because I can recover quickly and do a long run the next day (although not a “hard” long run or a really, really long one). But anything over that really disrupts training unless I use it as a training run.

I too do a lot of stretching and strengthening, and probably the most frustrating thing is that if that’s the injury, it sucks to do everything right and still get that injury!

4. I hope your ITband feels better soon. You know your body the best so just listen to it and keep thinking positive!!!!
    Sending positive, healing vibes your way!!!

Thanks Melissa. I hope it feels better too. I haven’t been to the ortho to get DXed with ITBS, but I am getting a massage tomorrow and my little band thingy should be coming in today. I wish I could say I’m pain free today, but I am not… and I won’t run until I am. Taking today completely off then will think about cross training…

5. Ahhhhhh CRAP! Not good about your knee. Lots and lots of icing! Not just on the cupcakes, either. 😉

6. Elizabeth C. says:

Glad you survived a week without a race! 🙂 Sorry to hear that your knee is bugging you. Sometimes those things disappear just as quickly as they started, so hopefully that’s all it is. You are smart to be taking preventative measures, though and paying attention to it. I would kind of doubt ITBS because it seems like you’ve never suffered from that before (I could be wrong) and usually that’s caused by your form being a little off. Anyway, great week!

I’ve never had ITBS before (but there’s a first time for everything, I suppose).

As far as form goes, my arm swing is all kinds of wonky, but as we’ve seen in some of the major marathons (yesterday) and even the Olympics, even the fastest female runners do not always have the greatest form.

7. hilaryruns says:

You say you wore old shoes then the pain started the next day? Wonder if it was some irritation from a hard run in beat down shoes? That’s not to say you should ignore it, but just that since you are generally so sturdy and injury free that it seems like there was an actual reason, if that makes sense. Either way, hope it settles down quickly and you can get back to “normal” taper crazy before the half! I’ll be checking for results and your new PR 🙂

You know, that’s a good point about the shoes. And Friday’s run was a “tough” run for me- even if it was unintentional (even mile 1 was faster than my normal easy day pace, for what it’s worth).

I’ll let you know how things go and if I race or not. I do not race or run when injured so if it’s a DNS, it’s a DNS, and I have no shame in that because DNS stands for Did Nothing Stupid :).

8. HoHo Runs says:

Oh, no! Boo to knee pain. I know it’s frustrating when these things just come out of nowhere. Make sure you foam roll up high on the outside of the leg (not down around the knee). Hopefully whatever it is will be short lived. I’m sending positive thoughts your way. Thanks for linking, Amy!

9. Ah ITBS stinks! Get some rest, rolling and stretching time in during your taper and I have faith that you will be ready to rock soon! I love that you and Melissa are part of such a solid running group! And I’m a little jealous as well 🙂 What a great group pic!

10. IT Band pain is tough. I’m so sorry you’ve been dealing with that. Keep stretching and you’ll get through!!

Thanks Allie. Yeah, I’ll be fine in the end. Not my first injury, won’t be my last if I keep running. That’s just the nature of the sport. I’ve been lucky to be injury-free for over 2 years now and am normally very durable, so hopefully it heals quickly.

11. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Thanks for the shout out! I hope you don’t have ITBS, that’s a rough one to deal with. Be careful if it is – foam rolling directly on the band if it is inflamed can only make it worse! But like someone said above, maybe it was running in the old shoes – that always makes weird aches pop up for me.

12. The first time I dealt with ITBS, it came on suddenly, like I had no idea what the world was going on with my knee.
    I do hope it’s nothing and will get better as suddenly as it came about!