Weekly Rundown: October 17-23

This training business was hard this week.

Not that training and racing is ever easy- if I wanted easy, I’d do a color run.

I’m short on time and have a busy Monday (and week) ahead of me, so I’ll hit the highlights.

Monday 6 miles (garages)
Tuesday 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Wednesday 45 minutes strength + 7.2 miles
Thursday 4.3 miles
Friday No workout.
Saturday 8.2 miles including James Island Connector Run 10K (45:36)
Sunday 12.3 miles + 60 minutes BodyFlow
Total 46.2 miles

On Monday I ran parking garages. I was pretty wiped out from my Sunday long run. I guess your first 16 miler in several years does that. I didn’t push the pace or sprint the inclines.

I moved my normal Wednesday speedwork to Tuesday since we didn’t have track on Wednesday this week, due to the Fleet Feet Pub Run (I don’t feel like holding a track workout when there’s a group run, as Summerville is a small community and I don’t want running groups to “compete”).

The pub run was football themed so people wore their favorite jerseys or football team shirts- of course, I forgot about that and wore the same blue shirt I wore to lift that morning so I wouldn’t dirty another shirt. Everyone talks about how training increases the grocery bill due to hunger- well, laundry detergent isn’t cheap either.

14712957_1065755720188715_925681921232085618_o

After the run, we went to Homegrown Brewing for snacks, recovery beverages, and Fleet Feet’s raffles/giveaways. It was a lot of fun.

IMG_20161019_192821

On Thursday, I woke up extremely sore. I have no clue why- I lifted the day before, but I usually lift on Wednesdays and I didn’t increase my weight or do any new-to-me exercises. I took an epsom salt bath, rolled, and ran a few easy miles.

Although the race organization was great and for a very worthy cause, Saturday’s James Island Connector Run 10K was a terrible race for me. To clarify, 45:36 is  *not* a bad time for a 10K. I know many runners who would love to run that time. I was one of those runners at one time- even last year. However, 45:36 is not the time I was training for, and I know I’m capable of better. In fact, I ran a much faster time at the Isle of Palms Connector Run 10K, while sick with a cold!

It sucks to run a race that doesn’t reflect how much work you’ve put in, but I’m thankful that I’m able to run and not injured. As this photo shows, my pain train and my winter goals de-railed at Mile 5.

I did accomplish the #1 goal of not blowing off the James Island Connector. With a nickname like Tiny Terror and those winds, that was a real concern.

14708031_1568773469806111_6374858183772415315_o

I did run my 12 mile long run on Sunday morning and felt okay. The weather was cooler, which meant I had to put thought into what to wear. Melissa couldn’t run this morning since her husband was out of town, but Mark kept me company for 4 of my 12 miles. I met up with the Hampton Park group, so at least I had accountability.

As far as what’s to come, I’m honestly not sure. Maybe Saturday was just a bad day, but I’m paying attention to my body this week. Hopefully the best is yet to come.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Fleet Feet Pub Run, Fleet Feet Summerville, James Island Connector Run, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: October 17-23

1. Hollie says:

We have definitely all been there and run races that don’t reflect anything we’ve been through. Nice job finishing in tougher conditions. Good luck this week! Sounds like it’s going to be tough.

I’ll give it to you, you had some tough race conditions… I honestly don’t remember the last time you ran a race when it wasn’t hailing or raining or hot… unless I missed a recap. I’m just gonna keep plugging along this week unless my body says otherwise. Sunday and today were good on the running front, so I don’t think I’m getting sick?

2. Man it looks like you were pushing through some tough stuff! TINY TERROR INDEED! What made the run so difficult- the wind?

The wind, the inclines on already tired legs, and the added weight… :(.

I think the wind was the worst part, because at the highest incline, I didn’t have any guys around me to break the wind or draft off. Then at the 6 mile mark this really tall man passed me and I was wondering where he was during that tough incline!

3. I really like the “color run” quote and the point about laundry detergent! No one ever talks about the expense of that, but for real … it adds up! I don’t know about you, but I usually have unexplained soreness right before I am coming down with a virus. I wonder if you might have some lingering effects from your other sickness or either your body is trying to fight off something else? I understand the frustration of not being able to run the time you wanted, especially when you’ve put in the training to get there. Rest up this week and get that strength back!

The soreness was weird. I didn’t do anything new in the weight room- and I lift every Wednesday morning. Nothing super heavy- but a lot of squats, lunges, and glute bridges. My friend also told me I looked pale after the run, and the pics confirmed it. I didn’t feel bad yesterday or today, so maybe it was lingering effects of the last sickness? I’m just going to keep an eye on my body for the rest of the week and go to the doc if things don’t improve.

4. Ahhh sorry about your crappy race. Sometimes things go south for reasons we don’t understand. I can prepare perfectly for a run or a race and then have the worst one ever and then I can do a race hungover on no sleep and run a PR. It’s weird.

Seems like any race when I put some sort of expectation on myself goes sour, and that’s why I try to avoid having “goal races” and going all in on a race. That’s really the biggest dilemma with me ever running a marathon, I will have high expectations and am scared that it won’t work out and I can’t just race another one of those the next week, you know?

My 5K PR was set in a race that I didn’t really feel like running and I ate Superman cereal for dinner the night before. Sometimes the stars align. Of course, training hard helps them align ;).

5. Elizabeth C. says:

I definitely think listening to your body and just taking it a day at a time is super smart. I know someone else that runs parking garages and have often thought about that when it gets icy out. I imagine it would be difficult with so many turns? I don’t worry about boredom as much. And: “if I wanted easy, I’d do a color run.” LOL.

Sometimes I wonder just how beneficial the garages are. It is one way to run inclines, but I don’t think it helped me much Saturday because there is no wind in the garages. It is fun to run garages because it’s illegal and you feel kinda badass doing it, but I wonder if maybe I should find a different way to train that is 1.) easier on my body and 2.) more beneficial toward my running. Those garages can beat up your legs pretty badly.

6. wanderwolf says:

Oh, I know that several things are different when not running: less groceries, less laundry, more free time. Still… running is the best. Looks like a great race! Even if it’s not what you were hoping for.

My finish time aside, the James Island Connector Run is my favorite Fall race in Charleston. It is the hardest 5K or 10K you will find around here, but the money goes toward a good cause, and you get a great bang for your race registration buck, since the race has a medal and nice awards. Plus a great after party.

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Bad races happen, but you should keep chasing your goals! So many factors can make a race hard, including just a lot of training fatigue picking up or weather – and racing in winds is never, ever easy. If anything, think of how strong you are for pushing through a tough race and still coming up within a minute of your PR. Rest up this week – it’s the perfect week to enjoy a cutback 🙂

8. Amy I appreciate you making note of your time not being a bad time. You are right many included me, would kill for that time but I am glad you don’t leave it with that was a horrible time period. We each have our own race and own goals to meet. I’m thankful for runners like you who support all runners no matter fast or slow. I hope this was just simply a day everything didn’t line up for you and nothing else comes of it. I tell you I never thought wind would be such a huge factor until I ran in it for a race in Destin. It was a constant struggle just to not get off balance. It was that hard. Hoping you have a great week ahead!

I have been there with race times. My first 10K was 1:04 and I was stoked. I was a beginner runner and trained to run the 10K in just over an hour and was proud of my accomplishment.

Everyone has different goals in a race, and that’s why the term is “personal best”. It’s always personal. I mean, the 45:36 is like a cool down jog for the person who won the race ;).

I too hope it was just a bad day and that there’s nothing wrong like illness or overtraining.

9. The tough races and training days are what make you the Tiny Terror! You continue to get stronger and faster as you train and race through the hard stuff!

Also, I laughed about the color run. So true 😉

10. I think we’ve all been there- having a goal race and not doing as well as you know your body is capable of. (Happened to me at race the ARK!)
    “just because you have an unsuscessfull race doesn’t mean you are an unsuscessfull runner. It just means you are going to have a suscessfull race on another day…”
    Just keep your head up, keep training smart, listen to your body and then those PRs won’t stop!
    I have a feeling you are going to exceed your expectations when you start getting into the half marathons.
    You got this!

Yeah- it has happened to both of us this season. The good ones will come when we least expect them, I think taking the pressure off really helps. For me, it was hard NOT to set goals and feel a little pressure just because we have so few 10Ks here. I probably won’t get a chance for another until next year’s Shamrock Shuffle (the “hills” of downtown Summerville are nothing compared to connectors, at least).

I can’t believe how close we are to the half marathons. This Fall is really flying by.

11. While I do think you ran a GREAT time, I get what you’re saying (writing). It’s tough when you know you’re capable of better! But hang in there. Your training sounds solid and mentally pushing through a tough training week makes you all the stronger for the weeks to come.

Keep up your solid training and get some rest and recovery time. Better weeks are ahead!

12. HoHo Runs says:

I’m sorry you didn’t meet your goals for the 10k. I’m sure you will learn something from the experience that you can put to good use. Don’t forget — bad runs make us appreciate the good ones! You still had a strong training week and logged a lot of miles. I know you won’t let this one run derail your plans or change your goals. You are tough and will continue to train hard! Thanks for linking, Amy!

Thanks Holly, I really appreciate your insight. It’s been a few days and I’m feeling a lot better about it now and think it was just a bad day. I’m going to keep going unless I have a lot of bad days that make me really want to adjust my goals.