Weekly Rundown: October 3-9

Nobody running downtown, Nobody running the beach

Hurricane Matthew’s in the ocean, Charleston’s out reach

Empty bridge, empty streets, Ran my long run all alone

You boarded up your house, Hope it’s there when you come home…

It’s time for the Weekly Rundown, Hurricane Matthew Edition!

Monday 7.1 miles (bridge)
Tuesday 6.3 miles
Wednesday 8 miles with 6 miles HMP
Thursday 14 miles (long run)
Friday Cross training: stairstepper, strength, and stretching
Saturday No workout (Hurricane Matthew/Power Outage)
Sunday 7.3 miles
Total 42.7 miles

I kicked off Monday running the Cooper River Bridge with Stevie, Dustin, and Steve on the bike. We had a great run and ran the entire bridge, and the weather was a bit cooler. With lower humidity and cooler temperatures, the guys I ran with could actually breathe. I was still struggling with breathing through my nose and low level fatigue from this lingering cold.

Steve took a great picture of us, and the camera angle and two tall guys make me look like an even tinier terror.

14494859_10208937705791351_6566847289527909319_n

I usually lift on Monday but didn’t lift this week. Truthfully, I was too tired to wake up and go to the gym, so I slept in and skipped it. My body needed to sleep until 8 AM more than it needed to lift.

On Tuesday, the hurricane talk intensified. I went out for an easy run, and between the stress of hurricane news and the congestion, it was even slower than usual. I went to bed early that night and Clay said he could tell I still didn’t feel good. Our gym cancelled classes from Wednesday until the storm passed, so I decided to sleep in on Wednesday as well.

By Wednesday afternoon, I was feeling better so I did my 6 mile pace run on the treadmill and watched TV. It was nice because I watched mindless game shows instead of hurricane coverage!

14563394_10209128395521075_2832049883972511251_n

Clay worked from home on Wednesday and we prepared some things for the hurricane and talked about evacuations and plans. Both of us had cabin fever that evening, so we went to Charleston Sports Pub for dinner. We knew restaurants would be closed on Saturday for our weekend date, so we celebrated a bit early. The roads were empty, so we made it to the restaurant in record time. It was weird driving in Charleston with so little traffic.

With the wet weekend, I decided to do my long run on Thursday morning, so I carb-loaded with the mahi sandwich and broccoli. It was really yummy, and I’m glad Charleston Sports Pub was open for everyone to eat, drink, and keep our minds off the hurricane.

IMG_20161005_191524

On Thursday, I woke up at dark-thirty and ran 14 miles before work. It was hard to get going, since I started before daylight and my body was fatigued from Wednesday’s tempo run (and still a little congested). The roads and bike path were empty, and I saw more police cars than people. Once my body woke up, I had a strong pace for the last 10-11 miles and finished just in time to shower, rehydrate, and work.

We evacuated to Hartsville on Friday to be with Clay’s family, but both of us got a quick workout in at the Fitness World Gyms there in town before the major stuff hit on Saturday. Saturday was a complete washout- with wind and rain all day, and no power at his parents’ house (they still don’t have power). We headed back to Charleston that night to beat the crowds of other evacuees.

On our way home, we saw a LOT of damage in the Florence/Hartsville/Darlington area. Many have trees in their homes, flooding, property damage, and power loss. Some will not have power until Wednesday. My parents had several trees fall on their property, and my uncle had a tree fall into his home, but he is okay. Our families and friends are all safe. While I know thoughts are cheap, mine are with everyone affected.

14572401_10153940303126658_8916829367043438102_n

Charleston was certainly spared. Hurricane Matthew ruined my birthday, but thankfully that’s all it ruined. Our yard had some limbs and debris to pick up, but that makes for good cross training and Sunday was beautiful weather to do it. I also ran around my neighborhood and checked on some of my friends’ homes to give them updates because they evacuated.

On Sunday night, Clay cooked a wonderful dinner- steak for him, salmon for me, and lots of veggies. It’s one of my favorite meals ever, and my husband is truly a grill master. It was a wonderful belated birthday celebration.

I am one lucky lady.

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Rundown: October 3-9

1. Happy belated birthday! I’m so glad that y’all are okay and had little damage. You managed to still get in a solid week of workouts, which is pretty incredible considering the storm and your lingering cold. Btw, I just gotta ask … how tall are you?!

2. I’m glad you’re ok from the storm. And happy birthday!

I’m 5’0″ too! Not as fast as you, though 😉

3. How scary! I would be so nervous if I had to evacuate my home. I know the only thing that matters is the safety of people and pets, but home is… home. That would just be so scary. I’m glad you didn’t have any damage and you are safe! Also, you do look tiny in that picture!!!

Agreed, home is home. I know that material items can be replaced and have heard and read that many, many times (that seems to be the “it” thing to tell someone, although I’m not sure it’s always what they need to hear). Obviously human lives come first, but both Clay and I are pretty self-made with our degrees, jobs, and purchased our own home and cars. We take a LOT of pride them and don’t want to see anything happen to our material possessions, either.

4. Laura says:

Happy belated birthday, so sweet of Clay to make you a nice dinner at home. We were down south this weekend, but far enough inland that the hurricane wasn’t a threat- we just got a good amount of wind/rain on Saturday. Glad to hear no major damage at your house, and hopefully the rest of your family gets power restored ASAP and your uncle doesn’t have crazy damage from tree coming through. Ugh, i cannot even imagine!

I saw your posts from Charlotte- congrats on winning that half marathon. Looked like you had a good race. A lot of people I know evacuated to Charlotte, too. It is very rough where my family lives but Charleston is okay. Still, some people here do not have power yet, though… :(.

5. Happy belated birthday my friend! I am so glad to hear you’re safe and sound. That would be so incredibly stressful. I think it’s cool that you went to the pub the night before though. It would have felt surreal.

Charleston Sports Pub did a great job of staying open to feed people who were having cabin fever or provide a hot meal if someone didn’t have power and needed a place to chill, charge phone, etc. They were open a lot. Also some restaurants here are giving free meals to power workers and first responders. The community has really come together.

6. mommyrunfaster says:

I was thinking of everyone in the storm’s path- glad to hear you and those you know are okay! You are really nailing your training! Nice work!!

Thank you, I wish I could say I’m nailing my training, but I don’t feel like that. Running is just hard lately! I am hoping I have a good race soon- Fall has been a long time coming and is just tough…

7. wanderwolf says:

Happy belated birthday! I was so worried about Matthew hitting us in Florida, I didn’t think about what happened after it spared most of us. I hope your family’s property can be repaired soon. I hope the power outages end sooner rather than later, and I hope you’re feeling much better now!

I am feeling great now, fortunately. My coworkers are slowly but surely getting power back (my parents bought a generator but I haven’t heard if theirs was restored since yesterday). I totally understand how worried you were about the hurricane too because Florida gets some bad ones. It is much worse in the rural areas of SC than Charleston.

8. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Happy belated birthday! I am glad you stayed safe during that storm! Smart of you to move your training around as well. You’re doing so well in your training – each week is strong and your mileage is so consistent!

9. laurenweiner says:

I’m sorry the storm ruined your birthday! Glad that everyone was safe, despite some damage to their homes. Happy belated birthday!

It really wasn’t ruined- we just celebrated on Sunday instead :). I’d rather have a ruined day than a ruined home or not survive the storm. NC and rural areas of SC are a real mess right now.

10. way to get in a solid training week despite the hurricane!
    so glad you stayed safe!
    happy belated birthday too,glad you are starting to finally feel better!
    Did your race you had planned on your bday get rescheduled?

Thanks, yeah I felt a lot better toward the end of last week. The Avondale 5K hasn’t been rescheduled and most likely will not be. I would not be surprised if it’s never held again, in fact, as the City of Charleston is very stingy with permits and never supported the race in its original location anyway (they wanted to move it to the West Ashley Greenway, which would have been the nail in the coffin because no runner is going to race there).

Hopefully I can find a flat, fast 5K eventually. I’ve mentally accepted that my 2016 PRs may not go down with how training and racing schedule looks for the rest of this year.

11. Pam says:

I am so glad you and your families survived Matthew. It was weird because Wilmington was first in the path, then the weather forecasters said we would be fine (and Tom made the decision to come to Chicago) and then it was bad again on Saturday when he was with me. He worried a lot, but thankfully we had no problems other than 3 uprooted recently planted trees. Our neighbors kept us in the loop while we were away. Sorry your running has not felt stellar lately, but I think it is fairly common to have up and down periods. Keep it up and you will get to those better days.

12. OMG that’s so funny about Cantore like and Ex-Wife! 14 miles before work! Wow, that is awesome but at your pace that would be like a 5 miler for me, lol. When my husband cooks steak I usually get him to fix me salmon too!
    I’m so glad you and your family were safe from Matthew. I hate you didn’t get to fully celebrate your birthday, but hey here’s to another one to celebrate right! Thanks Amy for linking up with us each week!

Oh come on, it can’t possibly take you 2+ hours to run a 5 miler?

In fact, my long run pace is quite a bit slower than my goal race pace… as in, about 90-105 seconds slower per mile. All about endurance and time on my feet rather than pace, really.

We celebrated my birthday very well on Sunday. I didn’t mind waiting an extra day and really enjoying it. I’m not special about celebrating on a particular date anyway!

13. I was thinking of you with Hurricane Matthew. I’m glad to hear you and your family are all safe and I’m sorry it fell around your birthday! How sweet of Clay to grill you salmon! Also, way to go on the 14-miler before work!

Thanks girly, I had to get in the 14 when I could. I am thankful I do not have to be at work too early and work from home, so I didn’t have to run too much earlier than people usually do. Also, we have street lights now!