Weekly Rundown: September 26 – October 2

October is here! I’m excited because October means Fall temperatures, football, and my birthday month. But first, a training recap for your reading pleasure.

Monday 40 minutes strength/stretching + 8 miles
Tuesday 7.15 miles
Wednesday 3.15 miles AM + 6.2 miles PM (track)
Thursday No workout
Friday 5.1 miles
Saturday 8.4 miles including Isle of Palms Connector 10K (44:52)
Sunday 12.1 miles + 60 minutes BodyFlow
Total 50.1 miles + strength + BodyFlow

On paper (err, screen), this week looks better than it was.

I rode the struggle bus big time. I planned to run parking garages on Monday. It was raining pretty hard where I live, so I ended up staying close to home and running 8 treadmill miles. In another attempt for a hill workout, I set my alarm clock for 5:30 AM to run the bridge Tuesday morning, but ended up sleeping until 6:30 and running 7 miles in my neighborhood.

If I don’t train, I can’t complain so… I can’t complain.

Wednesday was track day. I ran a ladder workout, which was 1600m, 1200m, 800m, and 2 x 400m. I jogged a lap around the track between each one for recovery. I’m not a slave to the watch, but my warmup was too fast and so were most of my intervals. I realize I am the only runner who isn’t happy about a faster pace in a track workout… I would rather faster than planned in a race and not a workout.

12049112_10153572208236708_2583561647211178588_n_thumb.jpg

I can speak for the entire track group that we’ll be glad when middle school football season ends and we don’t have to share the track. The football players were especially obnoxious this week. One kid tried to “race” me during my recovery lap and kept telling me “You’re doing good girl! You’re catching up with me!” Then I reached the start line and took off at 5K pace. Also, one football player stole one runners’ Gatorades from the sidelines.

We ended up at Icehouse for food and recovery beverages and it was delicious and fun as usual. The middle school kid got Brent’s Gatorade, but Brent got a beer to make up for it.

14440868_885084856523_8836792485426105832_n

IMG_20160928_195509

When I woke up on Thursday, my throat was a bit sore. Since I did track the night before, I took off running. I worked, did laundry, and went to Triangle Char-N-Bar to hang out with Charleston Beer Runners. Since I didn’t run and had my car at the finish, I gave a couple people rides back to the start.

I ran easy on Friday and was still a bit congested. I called my mom and she commented on how nasal-y my voice sounded. I took an adult dosage of cold medicine and went to bed in hopes of feeling better for Saturday’s Isle of Palms Connector Run 10K. I didn’t feel well, but I completed the 10K. My time was not what I hoped or trained for, and I don’t think it represents my fitness. In life and running, you can only give your best for that particular day- and I did.

14450011_885480917813_8743688369754964496_n

I spent the rest of Saturday resting and watching football. The Gamecocks let me down once again, but if you’re a Gamecock fan, you get used to it. I went to bed at 10 PM because I was exhausted!

On Sunday, I ran 12.1 miles, sharing some of it with the Hampton Park run group and the last mile with Emily. My plan originally said 13-14, but I stopped at my car to blow my nose and decided to call it a day (it was not the only time I had to blow my nose during the long run). I’m not sweating the missed mile or two because some runs feel good and I end up running longer than planned other days.

After the run, I headed to Triangle Char-N-Bar for a Going Away Brunch for Anne Boone, one of my friends and Charleston Running Club member who is moving to California. I call her Iron Anne because she is an IronMan Triathlete and a rockstar runner. She was running back in the days when fewer women ran (especially in the South) and a trendsetter in that regard. The Charleston running and triathlon scene will certainly miss her.

We had a great turnout at the brunch and sent her off with some great pictures and presents.

14522742_10208980577686091_2142920179870540422_n

Good luck with any Fall races you have coming up. If you’re in the Charleston area and don’t have a run on the calendar, I highly recommend the James Island Connector Run on October 22. It’s one of my favorite events in the Charleston area, and proceeds benefit the Gavalas Kolanko Foundation, which helps students with disabilities go to college.

When you register for the James Island Connector Run, use the code Scott16 to save $5 on your registration fee. This makes the price only $30, which is a steal for what you get- a race, finisher’s medal, shirt, and free food and beer at the finish.

I hope everyone has a great week! Happy October!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Weekly Rundown: September 26 – October 2

1. Hollie says:

Hope you continue to recover too Amy. I think we all have weeks that look “better on paper”. Nice job though and way to still push under 45 minutes.

2. It seems like it was still a great week, but perhaps that’s because I’m just seeing it on paper 🙂 I hope your congestion clears up soon! Football players at the track is a no-go for me. I just can’t do it. I do my track workouts in the morning to avoid them. I know you have a great group that meets in the evenings though, so in your case I’m sure it is worth it to put up with their shenanigans.

Yeah, we only have to put up with them for 3 more weeks, I think. Then football season will be over for the middle schools here. Also, we only have permission for Wednesday nights, so we can’t really change the date/time. It’s so hard to find tracks here in town to use!

3. Yeah that sub-45 min 10k is amazing, especially since you weren’t feeling 100%. And ugh teenagers are so annoying! I hate sharing the track with them. They’re the worst! HA!

I feel like most kids are good kids but there are some bad apples out there. I guess they could be doing worse things with their time than stealing Gatorades (like, stealing cars), but we’re kinda tired of their antics. They also text while walking on the track… so they’re not paying attention and almost walk into us!

4. I hope you start feeling better soon! you still had a pretty good week despite the head cold-you have the right mindset about things!
    Dan and I also had issues with the middle schoolers. Branwin did too! She said they kept running in front of her on purpose as well as throwing the football in front of her when she passed by.
    It will be nice to have the track to ourselves again…..
    Great job on the 10k btw. I know you wanted a faster time but you had a solid tempo run and you will still benefit from this workout on race day. Redemption will be at the JIC!!!

Football ends in a few weeks… we have this week, next week, then pub run week, and I think that last weekend in October is it for football. I’m honestly okay with the kids being there and playing, just don’t like the disrespectful attitudes this past week.

5. I hope you are feeling better. I can’t imagine being sick and still trying race. What was your time goal for the 10k? I’m sorry you didn’t hit it but damn girl a sub 45 hopped up on cold meds is awesome! I saw you said on fb you get to try again next weekend? What’s on the docket?

We have a few local races here this weekend, but I’m waiting to see what Hurricane Matthew does before signing up. Don’t want to waste $30-35 on a race that ends up being cancelled and none of them stop registration until Wednesday night anyway.

Originally I was hoping to PR the 10K, which would be 44:40 or better. At least I wasn’t too far off despite being sick. I have another 10K later this month, and no matter what, they should both be great workouts.

6. laurenweiner says:

Unfortunately some of that sinus stuff comes along with the beautiful fall weather. Hope you feel better soon!

7. Those middle school kids would really bug me! And stealing Gatorade? Seriously!

8. Christine says:

Feel better! Running sick is no fun. Great job on your race even though you weren’t feeling great.

Thanks. Yeah, it was a struggle- so was the long run as well as today’s bridge run. Hopefully it builds some mental strength I can draw from at the end of a hard race, though!

9. So sorry you’ve been under the weather. Even though you didn’t reach your time goal for the 10K, I think walking away third in your AG award is a success! Heck, just finish while being sick is a success. Kudos!

10. HoHo Runs says:

Teens and their shenanigans…ugh. I’m sorry to hear you were under the weather. You still had a great 10k time and knocked out 50 miles for the week. Congrats on the age group placement! I bet Iron Anne was very touched with the brunch in her honor. We should thank women like her for breaking the ground for us — yes, especially here in the south. Thanks for linking, Amy!

I have no clue how I still managed 50 miles last week being sick for the second half of the week. Anne was definitely a groundbreaking lady for women runners especially in Charleston and the South (where it seems like female runners were still taboo until more recently). She was actually 3rd female overall at the Bridge Run back in the 1980s!

11. sarahdudek80 says:

I hope you are feeling better soon. Fall tends to hit me hard in the health department. But you still got the work done and I am totally impressed! I love that you get a good mix up with your runs. Healing vibes!

Thanks, yeah I try to mix up the paces and the places of all the runs. This sickness mess is lingering though, and between that and the hurricane, I may shut down the training for a bit…

• sarahdudek80 says:

I totally understand. We were stuck in Sandy and it was both scary and a great break. We also had the best time making meals ahead of time just in case!!

12. Well dang why can’t kids be more respectful? It would be aggravating to have to deal with a few bad apples in the bunch. I hope it gets better but like you said just 3 more weeks right!
    I think taking the meds and you not feeling up to par is the very reason you didn’t do as expected but you still had a great time and placement even with that. Some races are just that way. Sounds like you followed up your run with some much needed down time and rest that night. Thanks Amy for linking up each week with us! We appreciate you.

13. Elizabeth C. says:

Lots of obstacles like getting sick and having crappy weather, but you still managed high mileage! You knew when to shut it down and when to push. So, kudos to your good judgement.