Weekly Rundown: September 19-25

Happy Monday guys! It’s a new week and the last week of September- so let’s make the most of it. Here’s how my training looked this week.

Monday 45 minutes strength + 7.1 miles (bridge)
Tuesday 6.2 miles AM + 3 miles PM (all easy)
Wednesday 8 miles, including tempo
Thursday 6.1 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday 7.2 miles, including Smokin’ Fast 5K (21:27)
Sunday 12 miles + 60 mins. BodyFlow
Total 49.6 miles + 45 min. strength + 60 min. BodyFlow

Monday was an uneventful morning lifting session followed by a bridge run with Steve, Richie, Kaitlyn, and Dustin. It was warm out and the bridge wasn’t packed at all, but I was glad to be done because a thunderstorm came just as I got home. I would not want to be on that bridge in a storm.

On Tuesday, I ran easy that morning, followed by the Charleston Running Club group run that evening. We ran the West Ashley Greenway, then had pizza at Mellow Mushroom Avondale. The Charleston Running Club is doing a great job with monthly events. Each month, we do a 3 mile group run in a different area of town, followed by snacks or food at a different venue. The runs have been on Tuesday night, so they don’t conflict with other groups/stores.

If you’re not a CRC member (or if you are but not attending the events), you’re missing out on a lot of fun lately. Plus, you can’t beat pizza after a run- and Mellow Mushroom never disappoints. We had a private area upstairs reserved for the club to eat and socialize.

IMG_20160920_191820

Wednesday was Pub Run Night, so we didn’t have track. With a 5K this weekend, I did a tempo run at half marathon pace to get some long miles on my feet at a faster pace, and it went well. I feel nervous each time the tempo run distance increases, but I always surprise myself. I think the pace runs will set me up for a strong half marathon when I eventually run one.

This weekend, I visited my parents and ran the Smokin’ Fast 5K in Lake City, which is a part of the South Carolina Tobacco Festival. My mom came out to the festival and race, and you can’t beat a good day with family. Our families are always our biggest fans! I was the first overall female at the race (it wasn’t a very big race), and I will recap it later this week.

IMG_20160924_093126

On Sunday, Melissa and I ran 12 miles on the Sawmill Branch Trail in Summerville. We had a great run and it was a bit faster than last week because it was foggy outside, which meant NO SUN! It was still humid, but the clouds helped a lot. I felt like I could’ve run 3-4 more miles, but I have to save something for next week and for later on in training. Why push it and have it backfire later? Sometimes that backfire includes burnout, injury, or having to take days off, so I stuck with 12 miles.

IMG_20160925_093546

With the increasing mileage and speedwork, I’m focusing on recovery big time over the next couple of weeks. I came home, put on my compression socks, and drank a delicious protein smoothie made of Orgain chocolate grass-fed whey, Fairlife milk, 2 tbsp. of caramel syrup, and 7 cubes of ice. The smoothie was like a dessert!

IMG_20160925_120314

Good luck with any Fall races you have coming up. If you’re in the Charleston area and don’t have a run on the calendar, I highly recommend the James Island Connector Run on October 22. It’s one of my favorite events in the Charleston area, and proceeds benefit the Gavalas Kolanko Foundation, which helps students with disabilities go to college.

When you register for the James Island Connector Run, use the code Scott16 to save $5 on your registration fee. This makes the price only $30, which is a steal for what you get- a race, finisher’s medal, shirt, and free food and beer at the finish.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Charleston Running Club, Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Weekly Rundown: September 19-25

1. Hollie says:

It’s funny because Mellow Mushroom is one of my favorite places too. I wish we had one closer by! It sounds like you had a great training week Amy.

Mellow Mushroom is our favorite chain/franchise pizza place because the food is consistently good, and every restaurant is a little different. Each one has some different menu items and different decor inside. The Summerville location is gorgeous, too.

2. Emily says:

I bought that milk yesterday and I am going to try it today! You always have so great advice and recommendations in your blog. I love waking up Monday mornings and reading it!!

I really like the Fairlife milk. It’s lactose-free and has a lot of calcium. The milk protein in Fairlife”fluffs” the shakes and adds volume, so consistency is like a restaurant milkshake.

3. Congrats on first female! Excited to hear about the race.:)

4. First place? YEAHHHHHHH!!!! That’s frigging awesome! Love it so much!!!

5. Laura says:

Congrats on the race win! Tempos can be such tough workouts but definitely help you have the endurance at Speed- bodes well for those longer races for sure!

Thanks- yeah, that’s why I’m trying to do the longer tempos. Track intervals and short tempos might be OK for 5K and 10K but I think the longer ones will help for half and maybe eventually full training.

6. Congratulations on placing first female overall. Who cares if it wasn’t a big race. A win is a win. Yay!

7. Congrats on your race! I can’t wait to read the recap 🙂 Very smart to be focusing on recovery. That smoothie sounds amazing! We love mellow mushroom as well! Obviously their pizza is delicious, but I also like to do the “build your own” salads sometimes. I like all. the. toppings! I hope y’all get some of the cooler weather than is supposed to be out there this week. It’s going to be 58 here tomorrow morning! AHH!

I like the Enlightened Spinach salad at Mellow Mushroom. I didn’t realize you could build your own there, but we have some restaurants here that offer that and I like being able to.

58 degrees sounds so wonderful right now- It’s more like 85 here!

8. Melissa Cunningham says:

I need to start going to the CRC social events!!!
    Great job on the 5k. LOVE that pic of you and your mom!!!
    I’m so glad we got to run together on Sunday. im feeling better about my endurance as the 12 didn’t destroy my legs and like you, I felt I could have done more. You are going to be more than ready for your fall races!!
    🙂🙂

Once the weather cools down both of us are going to see some big time drops.

I am hoping the CRC will have some events in North Charleston/Summerville area as well. I hope they will rotate various areas, not just because runners live in these areas. Even those of us who don’t live there still like to run different places sometimes. I love changing my routes up.

9. I love Mellow Mushroom, your right it never disappoints. You know most times I go I make a meal out of the pretzels, they are my favorite!!!! How awesome your mom got to see you run! Sound like a fantastic time at the festival Congratulations to your overall female too!
    Wow that smoothie does sound like dessert! Interesting putting the caramel syrup in there too!

The pretzels are good- along with dipping the whole wheat pizza crust in the marinara sauce.

I love making smoothies that are basically milkshakes/desserts. It tastes really good after a hot run too.

10. HoHo Runs says:

It’s wonderful that your Mom was there to support you at the 5k and share in your first place female win! Congrats. I love putting vanilla protein powder in low sugar chocolate milk. I’m lazy…no ice. LOL. It still tastes like dessert though. As always, I’m so impressed with your weekly mileage. Mellow Mushroom pizza is always good! Thanks for linking, Amy!

11. wanderwolf says:

Great job on first place (it’s always about who shows up, but it’s a fun experience 🙂

12. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on the first place win! No matter the size of the race that is a huge accomplishment!

13. Pam says:

We have Mellow Mushroom here in Wilmington, and it does have delicious pizza. Congrats on your first female win in the 5k last weekend. The photo of you and your mom is sweet. It is always nice to have support from family members. I’m looking forward to your race recap.

14. Elizabeth C. says:

Another great week and all of your training from over the summer is making these slightly cooler runs feel good. And it’s great you are focused on recovery, both in terms of nutrition and in the physical nurture of your muscles!

15. Can’t wait to read about the race! I am glad you had time with family. It’s the best! Also, the smoothie you made for yourself sounds delicious!