Weekly Rundown: September 12-18

Another week of hot and humid summer training is done. Most places are experiencing Fall temperatures, and here in Charleston, we finally had some high temperatures that were below 90 degrees. I guess that’s progress.

I don’t have a goal race for the Fall and doubt I will. I’d like to say I’m enjoying the process rather than training for a specific race. I’m running two workouts each week and recovering well to stay injury free. Hopefully two quality days per week, with some easy runs sprinkled in there, will help me see faster race times whenever the time is right.

Monday 45 minutes strength + 6 miles
Tuesday 7.2 miles
Wednesday 40 minutes strength + 8 miles
Thursday No workout
Friday 5.1 miles
Saturday 6.7 miles
Sunday 12.1 miles
Total 45.2 miles

Running was pretty uneventful this week. We had a pop-up tropical storm that affected my training schedule. Typically, you have a lot of notice for tropical weather, but Tropical Storm Julia formed over land, which is highly unusual.

TS Julia made Wednesday track a washout, so I took my workout to the treadmill. Props to everyone who ran outside or ran on the treadmill on Wednesday. I don’t think running outside in the rain makes anyone a “better” or more “hardcore” runner than someone who chooses to run indoors or take a rest day. Everyone has different comfort levels and priorities.

2016-09-16_15-49-17

The forecasters thought the storm’s rain would stick around for a few days, but fortunately things dried up on Thursday and Friday. None of the local meteorologists predicted Julia’s arrival, so I guess you can’t expect them to know when the storm will depart, either.

On Saturday, I ran and hung out with Ashly who I met when I first moved here. Both of us used to be a part of the TrySports store running group before that store closed. She’s running again and training for some half marathons and an eventual full marathon. It was great to see her and run with her again.

IMG_20160917_092716

We ran the Laurel Hill Trails in Mt. Pleasant. The trail and the “Avenue of Oaks” are so Charleston. Kind of like heat and humidity.

IMG_20160917_092745

Sunday’s long run was 12 miles. At 8:30 AM, it was already 81 degrees with 89% humidity, and the sun was high in the sky in Downtown Charleston. Melissa and I ran the first 11 miles together and the views were beautiful. We ran a different neighborhood, then joined the OnShore Hampton Park group for 8 miles. Each mile was the same pace or a little faster than the last.

After the group run, I still had one more mile to run. Running after everyone else is done is difficult, but I want to follow the plan and that means finishing when I’m done, not when I’m “ready to be done”. As soon as I turned on my iPod, the song “You Get What You Give” by New Radicals came on. That song is so 1999, but it applies to running and set me up for a solid final mile. I told myself I could do anything for nine minutes. That final mile was my fastest, and much faster than nine minutes.

Last, I want to remind everyone about the James Island Connector Run, which is on October 22. I am a race ambassador again this year, as this is one of my favorite events in the Charleston area. The race includes a finisher’s medal and is dog and stroller friendly. Proceeds benefit the Gavalas Kolanko Foundation, which helps students with disabilities go to college.

13690793_1068786609823184_2397134567276442872_n_thumb.jpg

When you register for the James Island Connector Run, use the code Scott16 to save $5 on your registration fee. This makes the price only $30, which is a steal for what you get- a race, medal, shirt, and free food and beer at the finish. If you’re local, I hope to see you there!

I’m off to light my pumpkin spice scented candle in an attempt to summon Fall temperatures. I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in James Island Connector Run, James Island Connector Run Discount, Trail running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Weekly Rundown: September 12-18

1. Hollie says:

Nice job. It was hot and humid in the greater Philadelphia region so I can only imagine how it was there. You got in the mileage in that so I think fall will be good to you.

I hope so! We had a random cool day a few weeks ago after Tropical Storm Hermine but my legs were so shredded from a tempo run that my pace wasn’t any faster, lol. I’m hoping we have a nice day on a race day soon.

2. Heather says:

I feel ya on the fall thing… a) it will never be pretty in FL for fall, b) it won’t get cold for a few more months and c) the humidity is killer… I too lit a pumpkin cupcake candle this weekend to “get in the mood” haha

Haha, someone on Facebook recommended I burn a Christmas candle because it seems like burning the pumpkin spice one isn’t working. Today’s candle is buttercream icing.

It’s not pretty for Fall in SC either… at least now in the lowcountry. I’d have to go to the Greenville area to see that!

3. You guys have way more tropical stormy stuff happen over on that side, eh? We just have rain. Grey, cloudy, windy, rain. And more rain.

Great job hitting those workouts last week. I’m inspired to do some strength stuff today at the gym once Callum wakes up. He HATES the child minding section there so it’s going to be a bit of a shit show. Fingers crossed.

Good luck leaving him in childcare. I have friends whose kids struggle with that so much. It’s gotta be hard to have and pay for a gym membership that includes childcare and not really be able to use it.

This last tropical storm was more rain… the one we had 2 weeks ago was more about the wind. It really varies.

4. Omg I was obsessed with that song and got the CD from one of those Columbia House music club things. 🙂 That’s basically how I got all of my music in HS. Today I ran in the rain for the first time in a long time. It just hasn’t rained in a while! It was really hot out so I didn’t mind. The only time rain bothers me is if it’s cold. I HATE BEING WET AND COLD!

I also hate being wet and cold- even after a run from sweating, I have to change clothes if I’m “hanging out” afterwards. I get cold quickly.

I was also a member of Columbia House CD club. I had so many CDs… mostly all pop music and boy groups, some Christian stuff. Times have really changed!

5. Christine says:

I’m so over this weather. Over it. And I know we probably still have another month or so of hotness and who knows when the humidity will back off. It never really did last year, save for a few days here and there.

I love running at Laurel Hill County Park – such pretty trails. Haven’t been out there in a while, but I need to get on that. While I hate racing on trails, I enjoy running them, just for the change of pace, footing and scenery, plus it makes me a stronger road runner (same with beach running).

Good job on your workouts this week (again)!

Last year, November 14 was a beautiful day. I remember it because I raced Bridge2Bridge Half that day and set a new PR. But I remember running a 12 miler a week before and how much we struggled at a 9:00 min/mile pace then running a 7:45 over bridges a week later in cooler temps. It makes a difference.

You know you live in a hot place when you remember the *exact date* of a perfect running day, too!

I try not to complain about Charleston’s weather, because it could be a whole lot worse with snow or ice. I love living in a city where I don’t really need to own pants or tights to run in, but I am ready for cooler temps and lower humidity. Even a slight decrease in humidity is noticeable at this point (i.e., Friday).

6. Theresa says:

WHERE IS FALL?!?!?!?

7. liz says:

Great mileage, Amy! It’s been so hot and humid here and the struggle is real. ❤

Yeah, it was crazy hot and humid today, but this evening there were some storms in the distance which made it a little breezier. Tonight’s run was 86 with 70% humidity but it seemed like it cooled off during the run at least and wasn’t too bad.

8. Great job on your wk of training. Especially the long run. I had a humid 12 miles too the other day. Looking forward to the fall weather.

9. HoHo Runs says:

Well, I hope that candle worked it’s magic for you. Nada here. Got nothing. But summer!! It sounds fun to connect with an old friend. I bet all the catching up made that run seem effortless. Great job pushing through the last tough mile on Sunday. Love the Avenue of Oaks!! Thanks for linking, Amy!

The candle did not work. Other ideas that did not work include eating Count Chocula Cereal and drinking a Pumpkin Pie flavored protein shake. But hey, hopefully cooler temps are on the way!

10. Elizabeth C. says:

Another great week! You’ll definitely see an increase in speed when you pick a target race– you’ve been so consistent with your training over the past few months. Here’s hoping that fall arrives soon and 80’s and 90’s are things of the past!

Thank you! I feel like I’m in good shape, so I’ll most likely pick a target race the week of a race, cut back a little, and just race it all out :).

I’ll say the weather has kept me from targeting a particular race. If the weather looks iffy before any race, I’ll just use it as a race-out and train through. It’s not like we have a shortage of races in the coming months.

11. chasingthekenyans says:

Holy geeze you don’t start your long run until 8:30?!? I’d die. I have to get some miles over with before the sun comes up in order to survive. I reallllly don’t like winter, but I am ready for it to be below 70* and 928434% humidity on my 5am runs.

I’d die if I had to run at 5 AM. I don’t even know if it would be worth going to bed… :).

I try to do my long runs, or at least a portion of them, around the time when races are held.

Typically if I run a long run on Sunday, I start later to run with the Hampton Park group. If I run on Saturday, I start early because I have to be done by 9 AM since that’s when downtown parking meters start charging. I don’t want to pay for parking in metered lots, so I finish up by 9 on Saturdays (which means starting at 6:45 or 7 to give myself wiggle room for stops and getting back with a few minutes to spare).

12. The picture of the trees! Is that Spanish moss? Beautiful!

I’m glad you’re just enjoying running right now and staying injury free in the process 🙂