Weekly Rundown: September 5-11

This week was pretty uneventful as far as life goes, and I was happy about that. Work wasn’t super busy and I didn’t have a ton of real girl things to do. I had Monday off work for Labor Day, making the work week shorter and the workout week longer.

13690793_1068786609823184_2397134567276442872_n

I also added a race to my schedule- the James Island Connector Run, which is on October 22. I ran the James Island Connector Run in 2013, 2014, and 2015, and it’s one of my favorite local races. It’s a great tune-up for a fall half or full marathon, or a fun goal race if you’re looking to race a 5K or 10K. Proceeds benefit the Gavalas Kolanko Foundation, which helps students with disabilities go to college.

When you register for the James Island Connector Run, use the code Scott16 to save $5 on your registration fee.

Monday 8.1 miles (bridge) + weights/core
Tuesday 7.1 miles easy
Wednesday Weights/core + 6.2 miles (track)
Thursday No workout
Friday 7.8 miles, including 5 miles at half marathon goal pace
Saturday 14.2 miles
Sunday 7 miles + 60 minutes yoga
Total 50.4 miles

I was off work Monday, so I slept in a bit and decided to run later. I debated between running the treadmill and running the Cooper River Bridge, and I ended up on the bridge. Since it was Labor Day, traffic was minimal on my drive to Mount Pleasant, and when I got there I realized that everyone in Charleston had the same idea to run or walk the bridge, so it was packed!

I saw many runners and walkers violating the rules by running or walking in the bike lane, and worst of all, people brought leashed dogs on the pedestrian path/bike lane. That’s very dangerous because the dog could wander into the bike lane and a cyclist could run over the dog. It’s also against the rules posted on the signage at the start of the pedestrian path.

The bridge itself even has the lanes marked to remind people. No dogs are pictured.

bridge_markings

I had a pretty good 8 miler, and hopefully no dogs were harmed on the bridge. We didn’t do a lot to celebrate Labor Day, but Clay went to MMA/BJJ that night and we watched more football (it was a football filled weekend at our house).

On Wednesday, I hit the track with our track regulars. We have to start doing our workouts a little earlier and cool down on the roads now because of middle school football, but I’m grateful we still get to use the track on those Wednesdays. We were done 10 minutes before kickoff and no one was hit by a flying football.

My workout was 6 x 800m with 200m jog recoveries. It was 90 degrees out, and the track heats up fast- especially after the last few mornings of cool runs. My last rep was brutal, and I told myself it was the last half mile of the race to mentally get through it. Thank goodness it won’t be 90 degrees on race day, and I won’t be running on tired legs.

I wish I could say I hit my goal paces despite the heat, but I didn’t.

IMG_20160907_184111

Friday was tempo day. Since it’s so hot here, I run these on the treadmill but plan to swap them out for local races once the road racing season kicks up in Charleston (I swapped it out a few weeks ago when I ran Race for the Ark 5K).

Every week, I start this workout nervous and finish this workout with confidence. What a difference an hour on a treadmill makes…

IMG_20160909_124237

On Saturday, I set out for my long run, starting in Mt. Pleasant and running through downtown Charleston. I tried a different gel this time, a Hammer Nutrition gel that was espresso flavored. It contained caffeine and gave me a noticeable boost, plus it didn’t irritate my stomach and it tasted good (to someone who likes coffee). I only run 5K-half so I don’t need gels or fuel, but I’m experimenting with some on my longer runs in case I run a longer-distance race next year.

I recovered from my 14 miler with lots of college football! Unfortunately the Gamecocks lost, but I didn’t really expect any different. Clay and I order South of Philly for the games and it makes for a nice dinner and night in, at least.

Every pizza’s a personal pizza when you train hard enough.

IMG_20160910_183136

Sunday, I did an easy run downtown, which didn’t feel easy with the oppressive heat, humidity, and dew point. Add that to the miles that are already on my legs this week… yikes! I’m ready for Fall and cooler temperatures, not to mention pumpkin spice, hoodies, yoga pants, and more football. I ran near the water on Sunday which made it seem even hotter.

After my run, Charlotte, Emily, Nancy, and I did the Second Sunday Savasana yoga class downtown. It was a great class and perfect way to unwind, recover from the run, and center ourselves before another busy week begins.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Half Marathon, James Island Connector Run, James Island Connector Run Discount, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekly Rundown: September 5-11

1. You had a great week of workouts! It got really hot this week too. My morning runs were tough, I can’t imagine doing speed later on in the day so good job! It fascinates me when people don’t follow rules because I am SUCH a ruler follower… especially if it’s a safety issue. I don’t understand how some think the rules apply to others but not them?

Not just being a rule follower here, but I can’t imagine WHY someone would want to walk their dog on the bridge. It’s a hard surface, it’s hot, and there’s no water anywhere on it.

2. Laura says:

Looks like a great week of running Amy, solid miles!! I’m so happy football is back, such a great time of year and something Brian and I both enjoy as it seems to be the case for you and Clay as well!

YES! Every week, we watch our team play- and a bunch of other teams. The Gamecocks aren’t very good this year and haven’t been in a year or two, but we’re still fans and support them, and we still watch (although the game was delayed and ended late, so I had to go to bed to get up to run the next day). Plus, football means cooler temps are on the way.

3. 800m repeats are tough, but I can’t imagine having only 200m recoveries! I usually do 400m recoveries REALLY SLOW. That pizza looks amazing. 🙂 Nice job last week!

The recovery is supposed to be 200m, but I hate to make my friends and training partners wait on me (I have the longest workouts). Plus, we have to be off the track by a certain time, and it’s just easier to cut out parts of the recoveries. I do run them on the outer edge of the track, so it’s a little more than 200m, but it’s still pretty short.

4. Nice week of training! I usually will take one gel during a half marathon, but I’m intrigued by the idea of not taking anything. When I tried to eat a gel during my long run this week it made me feel awful (but I think I was just having an off day, I definitely wasn’t feeling great before it either). Do you drink gatorade/sports drink during halves or just water?

In my last half, I just had water during the race. I did have coffee and a pop tart before the race, though. I always eat something before 10+ mile runs. For my 7-8 milers in the mornings, I just wake up, drink coffee and water, and go.

5. another solid week chica!!!!
    those bridge runs will pay off during your fall half marathons!
    Wednesday track was just brutal for everyone. Cooler weather cant come fast enough…
    Ive told you this a hundred times already but you’ve done such a great job this year with your training. I envy your aerobic capacity and your ability to get faster over the longer distances!
    I ended up watching a lot of football with T over the week as well.
    To be honest, I mainly watch it with him because if I didn’t, I wouldn’t see him until February, lol!
    Each year we have the same debate when the weather gets (slightly) cooler-is it football weather or cross country weather??!

Thanks, yeah I am kind of an aerobic beast. That’s how I end up running a 5K at a faster average pace than 800m repeats at track (as that is what happened this past week). You had a really great race on Saturday too and I hope to see you Wednesday night… even though we will start and end early again!

6. Our Saturdays are pretty much filled with pizza and football as well. I guess that’s life in the south for ya 🙂 I’ve had good luck with the Hammer gels too. I think they are supposed to have less sugar than some of the other brands. I don’t do gels for a half or anything under either, so I (thankfully) don’t really have a huge need for them currently. Have a great week!

Yup- I think the South is especially obsessed with college football. We don’t have a professional team in SC (The Panthers are in Charlotte and technically NC), so I think that’s why college is so huge. I do love NFL as well though and after visiting Seattle, want to go to more pro games now.

7. HoHo Runs says:

Our weekends are all about football too (Roll Tide). Our heat is going to break soon, right? It has to! I wonder why people can’t obey rules. They are for their own (or their own pets) safety. It irritates me. There are no bikes allowed in my neighborhood park. Do I see bikers? Yes! That’s a huge week of mileage. I’m always very impressed. Thanks for linking, Amy!

8. Angela says:

This sounds like a solid and fun week of training!

9. Wow that doesn’t look like a lot of passing room on either path on the bridge. I can only imagine when a speeding cyclist comes by.
    I hear so many people who loose their track privileges when school is in session so yes be grateful you can still run there. I sure wish my school near me had a track!
    We’re college football junkies too! One of my favorite fall past times, although we’ve had a few games but fall weather is no where in site! 😦

10. chasingthekenyans says:

Motivational quote: “Every pizza’s a personal pizza when you train hard enough.” hahaha. That’s a framer!