Weekly Rundown: August 22-28

I’m officially back on the training plan after our Seattle vacation.

This week was a little different because I had my first 5K race since Race the Landing #5. I did a few quality runs as well as a couple of recovery runs to freshen up for Race for the Ark.

Monday 45 minutes strength training + 7.1 miles (bridge)
Tuesday 6.3 miles
Wednesday 8 miles (treadmill intervals) + 3 miles (pub run)
Thursday 4.15 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday 7.5 miles including Race the Ark 5K (21:20)
Sunday 10.1 miles
Total 46.2 miles + strength training

The highlights of my week were my group runs and Race for the Ark, so I’ll keep it simple and talk about those.

On Wednesday, I went to Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant for the Luau Pub Run bash. As a Race 13.1 Ambassador, I wanted to formally meet Dan (series director) and promote their upcoming Charleston race. I blogged about Race 13.1 Charleston a few weeks ago and chatted with a couple of people about the race during and after the group run. If you live in the Charleston area or are interested in visiting, check out Race 13.1 Charleston on October 29.

14138108_647496252081448_7567361463455014576_o

Wednesday is normally my track day, so I did my workout on the treadmill and used the 3 mile pub run as a recovery run/extended cooldown. Shelby from Fleet Feet took pictures and I did my best to smile even though it was Mile 10 for the day (Side note: Shelby is super encouraging and would be really great at Mile 12 of a Half Marathon or Mile 25 of a full).

14054545_647496402081433_8978013372722407495_o

On Thursday, I ran with Charleston Beer Runners. I normally take Thursday off since it’s the day between track and my Friday tempo runs, but since I was racing on Saturday, I opted to do an easy shakeout run and take Friday off. I parked my car at the hosting bar, Edmund’s Oast, ran a mile to Hampton Park, then ran about three miles with the group back to Edmund’s Oast.

14138061_459472020917520_6106333464246381949_o

Edmund’s Oast has a great happy hour with $4 drink and appetizer specials. The appetizers are super small but the drinks are a great deal, and they have some unique ones on the menu, including a Peanut Butter and Jelly beer. I opted for a cocktail called the Olde Thyme and it was delicious and strong. I’m a lightweight and a cheap date- it only takes one drink for me.

IMG_20160825_195805

Charleston Beer Runners go to a different bar or restaurant each week, and it’s gotten me out of my comfort zone to try some new places. As you can see from Eryn’s pictures, we had a really big crowd for this run.

14068389_459472014250854_11468177114286012_o

Friday was my weekly rest day. I’m pretty diehard about taking a day off running each week to catch up on laundry and life. Dillard’s had a super sale, so I went to the mall and bought some new luggage for myself and some shirts for Clay. Clay’s lost a lot of weight with MMA/BJJ so we’re replacing his shirts! We went to a pool party and barbeque with his coworkers that evening.

Saturday was Race for the Ark 5K! I ran a good race and enjoyed hanging out with my friends and training partners. I ran a 21:20, and I’ll write a full recap of the race later this week.

14102401_10101431864359293_2604072698368832385_n

After the race, I bought groceries and got my car washed at a donation car wash hosted by the Summerville High School Band. While driving in town, I passed two more car washes hosted by the other two high schools’ bands. Everyone in Summerville should have a clean car. I spent the rest of Saturday afternoon resting until that evening, when we went to a Lowcountry boil and board games party with some friends.

Sunday was a typical post-race long run of 10 miles, then Clay and I went to Bluerose Cafe for brunch with our friends Kelsey and Ian. This was our first brunch experience at Bluerose, and it was a success. I had an eggplant parmesan frittata and Clay ordered the crab cake benedict. The brunch also came with a plate of breads and pastries for the table.

IMG_20160828_113846

IMG_20160828_120151IMG_20160828_120205

We didn’t wait long, the eggs benedict was runny (I love runny eggs!), and the price was right at only $12.50 a person. The staff at Bluerose gets to know you and recognizes you when you come back, and it’s truly a local gem away from the hustle and bustle and tourist destinations downtown. We’ve always loved Bluerose Cafe for breakfast and lunch, and it’s safe to say we’ll be adding it to our Sunday brunch rotation as well now.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Charleston SC, Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, Fleet Feet Pub Run, Summerville, Summerville Running, Training Log, West Ashley and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Weekly Rundown: August 22-28

1. Hey great 5k race! I can’t wait to hear about it. What was in your Old Thyme drink? I usually only get one drink but I like them STRONG. Shopping is a great way to spend a rest day. I haven’t had the urge to shop all summer (that’s a good thing) but now that the seasons are changing I have the urge… Not that I need anything.

The drink had bourbon, rum, madeira, lemon shrub, and nutmeg (taken from the menu pic I took for Yelp). It was actually on tap and not mixed in front of me because it was a cocktail special that night.

2. Those pub runs sound like a blast! The group I run with on Wednesday’s heads out for dinner/drinks after the run, but after 6+ miles I NEED a shower before I can do anything else so I usually bail on the post run shenanigans.

We used to do drinks and food after our track workouts and I wish we still did. Everyone’s lives just got so busy for it. It’s honestly not TOO bad if everyone else there is sweaty, though.

3. I love how many races you do and how many group runs you get in! Runny eggs are the BEST. Yum.

After the non-runny egg in my crab cake benedict at Toast of West Ashley last Sunday, I was a bit jealous that Clay’s was so runny and yummy! Still, my fritatta was the BEST.

We do have some great group runs here. I’ll probably always wish they were longer group runs, but I’m glad I can run with people any chance I get.

4. Laura says:

Such a great turnout for those group runs! Crazy how many people show up, love that though! Seems like such a nice running community you are in. Congrats on the 5k, looking forward to reading more about it!

Thanks Laura! The Fleet Feet run had 160+ people. That’s really fun and great for giveaways and well, fun, but it’s hard to run with that many people on a sidewalk. So, it was the best that I just used it for a recovery run. Charleston Beer Runners is a great group, you would love it and totally get along with everyone because… running + drinks = good times :).

5. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Nice mileage again this week! Runny eggs are the best type of egg, especially if served with some sort of bread. They taste even better after a long run!

6. HoHo Runs says:

There seems to be great camaraderie and support where you live in your running community. I’m very impressed by the number of people who come out for the different group runs. Having fun afterwards with good food and drinks doesn’t hurt either ;). Congrats on a great 5k. I know it had to have been quite warm. The Sunday brunch looks delicious. Thanks for linking, Amy!

7. Great time in your 5k. Your brunch looks delicious after your ten miler the following day.

8. Theresa says:

I see some consistent sub 21 in your future! I look forward to a good cool 5k thid winter!

9. Runny eggs are my favorite, too! I could eat them for every meal, haha. Also, Bluerose sounds amazing! All those pastries and breads that came with your meal! Yum 🙂

Nice work on your 5k, Amy!!

10. Melissa cunningham says:

Great training week chica!!!
    The running groups you go to seem like so much fun! I wish more stuff like that were available in Summerville. Maybe sometime soon we can start the pubs again after track?
    Anyways here’s to a good week ahead and Thank you so much for your encouragement over the weekend- as well as for listening to me complain, lol!
    Hope to see you at the track!

I really want to go out after track again but everyone is busy or just leaves! I want to go to Charleston Sports Pub as well as Persimmon Cafe near the Earth Fare.

I don’t mind listening to you complain and if you ever need to rant, just call me up or we can go for a random ranting run.

11. ksquared says:

Your food pictures always make me so jealous! Sounds like a great week!

It was awesome! You *need* to visit for the Charleston Marathon. If so we can definitely go out for a pre-race dinner or a brunch that Sunday morning (depending on how long you’re in town).

• ksquared says:

That sounds fabulous. I think the plan is to fly in on Friday morning and leave on Monday afternoon, so there is enough time there to make something work !

12. Ok you know the drinks really got my attention: A PB&J beer, I’m not a beer drinker but I’d so try this one! $4 drinks are great, some can be so expensive!!
    Great job on your 5k! You have an amazing group to run with in your area. I wish ours was that strong!