Weekly Rundown: August 15-21

With a vacation to Seattle and averaging 45-50 miles per week all summer, this week was perfect for a glorified cutback week.

Clay and I don’t take many vacations, so when we do, we make the most out of them. In my daily real-girl life, I’m one to plan my workouts, schedule meetings, and track most details of life… but on vacation, I live in the moment. It’s relieving to wing it for a few days and not live and die by the Lilly Pulitizer planner.

I enjoyed the mental break and did not run in Seattle. Vacations are for vacationing, training is for the other 360 days out of the year.

Monday 8.1 miles (treadmill intervals)
Tuesday Seattle
Wednesday Seattle
Thursday Seattle
Friday Flight home from Seattle (Sick)
Saturday 11.15 miles (long run)
Sunday 8 miles (2 up, 4 miles at goal HM pace, 2 down)
Total 27.25 miles

Even though our flight to Seattle didn’t leave until Monday afternoon, I took the day off work to sleep in, pack, and prepare. This way, my vacation technically started last Friday. I hit the treadmill for the intervals scheduled on my training plan, where I watched the Olympics and saw Emma Coburn take the bronze medal in the 3000m steeplechase. It was a great motivation booster, and I’ll miss my Olympic treadmill runs.

Clay went to MMA/BJJ and lifted weights on Monday. Both of us wanted to get one last hard effort in before vacation- and we were both starving at the end of the five-hour flight to Seattle!

We spent Tuesday-Thursday in Seattle, where we visited Pike’s Place Market, the EMP Museum, and caught a Seattle Seahawks preseason game. We walked over 8 miles each day (over 11 miles on the day we went to the Seahawks game), so we were certainly active. My step count each day was higher than usual even without running.

IMG_20160816_092518

IMG_20160817_104839

Seattle’s weather was beautiful- when we left our AirBNB on Tuesday morning, it felt like Thanksgiving. It got warmer that week, but was much cooler than Charleston. I wanted to bottle up the weather and the restaurant food prices and take them back to Charleston with me, but alas, we returned to Sauna Carolina on Friday.

I’ll write more about our Seattle trip soon.

IMG_20160818_185249

I planned to run my 4 mile tempo on Friday when we got back from Seattle, but I was sick from the plane ride. My head hurt, my ears hurt, I was dehydrated, and I felt dizzy when I got up out of my computer chair. Needless to say, running didn’t happen. I avoid missing workouts, but dizziness was the deal breaker- I didn’t want to take any chances and fall. With so many Fall races, the last thing I need is to fall, get hurt, and miss even more training.

On Saturday morning, I still didn’t feel 100%. I opted for a long run instead of the tempo. It was a struggle shuffle and the pace was a bit slower than usual. I stopped at every water fountain and gave myself permission to turn around if I felt dizzy. Fortunately, I didn’t.

I spent the rest of Saturday at home watching Olympics and Clay grilled steaks and salmon. After vacation, it was so nice to have a relaxing day in so I could recover from the jet lag!

Sunday was a much better run. Postponing the half marathon paced tempo was the right decision. I ran 8 miles total, with 4 at goal half marathon pace, while watching Olympics on the treadmills at Planet Fitness. In my training plan, I feel like the tempo run is the most important run of the week, so I’m glad it went well even if it was later in the week than usual.

After my run, Clay and I went to Toast of West Ashley for brunch. Toast just opened their West Ashley location, so we waited awhile on our table. After placing our orders, we waited 35 minutes for the food. Sunday brunch is packed everywhere in Charleston, and I didn’t mind waiting on a table since I didn’t have a reservation, but 35 minutes is a long time to wait on two entrees.

IMG_20160821_112937

Clay ordered a build-your-own-omelet with home fries, and I had Toast’s signature dish, the Eggs Meeting Street, with cheese grits. The Eggs Meeting Street is Toast’s take on eggs benedict and includes a fried green tomato, crab cake, poached egg, and roasted red pepper remoulade. My grits were creamy and rich, and the crab cake was all meat, no filler. I was a little surprised that the egg on top wasn’t runny, though.

IMG_20160821_112945

Clay enjoyed his omelet and said the home fries were seasoned well- I tried a home fry, and he was right. Both our meals also came with enormous biscuits which we brought home. Hopefully once Toast of West Ashley is open for a few weeks or months, the food will come out faster. The long wait for our food was really the only issue, and I’m willing to give it another shot.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Rundown: August 15-21

1. Angela says:

I agree vacations are for a break away from normal life including workouts although like you I always end up walking tonnes anyway! Sounds like a great and much needed trip!!!

With all the walking, I spent a LOT more time on my feet and I’ve been able to tell the last few days. I felt incredibly out of shape walking up some of those hills too, even though I run the bridge each week.

2. thisrunnersrecipes says:

It sounds like you had a fun trip to Seattle – and you missed the heat wave! Walking around downtown is lot of exercise with all of those hills. I usually cut back on running on vacation – usually just a couple short treadmill runs.

3. It looks like wonderful trip! The weather sounds AMAZING! It’ll feel that way here soon, right?! Haha. You got all of your quality runs in and enjoyed your vacation. Win, win!

It’ll cool down here, but it’ll never feel like Seattle because… humidity. Haha. I was glad to get all of my quality/SOS days in and just miss the easy days… I figure I walked enough in Seattle to make up for that!

4. christyruns says:

Seems like the last few blogs I have been to this morning everyone is getting over being sick! I am super paranoid about getting sick right now with a marathon 20 days away. Seattle looks like a great time, I have only passed through, but hope to get there and be a tourist someday.

I really hope you don’t get sick! Mine was definitely plane-related and 24 hours after getting off the plane, I was back to 100%. Balance/vertigo issues when flying are no joke though… it made me think about those who fly cross country to run races, and I’m not sure I could do that!

5. I am sorry you felt cruddy on the day you came home. The older I get, the more often I skip workouts if I feel crappy. Obviously it doesn’t make or break anything and I am sometimes worried if I workout I will feel even worse.

I can’t wait to hear about your Seattle trip! That is somewhere Paul and I would like to visit.

I try not to skip many, but I still got a lot of running in for the week and all the key workouts I wanted to do, so it was okay. Sometimes I think it’s better to skip and alter a run than push through, but it negatively affects your future runs.

Seattle is a great place. It’s a big city though, and the vibe is a lot different than a small city like Charleston or even an East Coast city. I’m reviewing everywhere we visited on Yelp and creating a list there, so I’ll post it here too once I finish the reviews and add pics.

6. laurenweiner says:

I can’t wait to hear more about Seattle…that is on my bucket list! Clay’s food looks amazing 🙂 I’m a little jealous right now!

Our food was really good, minus my egg not being runny. The wait was just too long for the food, though. Clay really enjoyed his omelet and those home fries were GOOD… nice to find a place that serves them instead of hash browns.

7. So cool that you were in Seattle!!! I was so close to you! I live about a 3 hour drive north of Seattle. I’m glad you fit in some good workouts last week. I’m about to search for that home office post you wrote a week or two ago and plug it into my Week in Review post!

8. mygfboston says:

Love your blog–just came across it via the Weekly Wrap. Sounds like a great week and a fun visit to Seattle (one of my favorite cities). Looking forward to following along with your training journey!

9. Glad you coukd still fit in your quality runs and glad you are feeling better!
    Looking forward to hearing more about your Seattle trip!

10. I love your attitude about being on vacation. It seems that you really have mastered the art of being super consistent with your running, but knowing when it’s time to prioritize other things. Sorry to hear you felt so crappy after the plane ride. That happens to me sometimes too. Now you know if you ever do a destination race to fly in a few days early!

Haha, I’m too poor to do a destination race, much less stay extra days. A race 2 hours away is a destination for me, but I’m grateful to have a reliable car so that I can do that now.

I’m sure that the few days off won’t hurt things with training in the long run. Not like I have any goal races coming up in the next few weeks anyway.

11. Laura says:

Glad that you had a great vacation and took the time to relax (yet still walk a lot…isn’t that always the case!). It amazes me how much time you can put in on your feet while at a new place! Sorry to hear you got sick coming home, but glad you’re feeling better and were able to get your tempo run in 🙂

Yeah, I’m glad I feel better too. I made the right decision to take off. We walked a ton and also stood up a lot. I can tell a big difference in steps taken with running and steps walked and also standing in museums, the zoo, etc, whereas my usual lifestyle is pretty sedentary (office job).

12. Sounds like a wonderful vacation! I just got back from a trip to the PNW as well. I did the same thing you did. I planned to run the day we got home, but I felt way too crummy to even attempt it. I had a red eye flight complete with a screaming baby, a toddler kicking the back of my seat, and a snoring guy in my row. After getting zero sleep on the flight I opted to nap rather than run.

I opted to rest that afternoon. We went to Costco to get gas and a few things and Clay drove. I didn’t even feel like driving! And yeah, you never know who you will sit near on a plane and how noisy they might be (babies!).

13. Ha I do like your view on vacations is for vacationing! My husband would be right up this ally, oh wait he is!!! I do enjoy the mental break though and the change of scenery more. With all of our mini-vacations I do still run when I can but it’s not for everyone. How fun to go to a Seahawks game!!! Last year was our first time to go to a NFL game ever and we got to see the Saints play the Giants. It was so much fun!
    I hate you got sick from flying too and no you made the right decision on not running. Being dizzy is no fun! Better safe than sorry for sure!
    Wow those are huge biscuits they sure do look good! Thanks for linking up Amy hope you have a great week!

I’m glad you guys got to go to an NFL game too- it is so much fun and it’s way different than a college game, even a college game in the south.

The biscuit is enormous. I tasted it in the restaurant and liked it, but I still have leftovers in my fridge downstairs. It’s even bigger than a fast food biscuit.

14. HoHo Runs says:

I bet the Seattle weather was like a culture shock of sorts! The clouds above the Pike Place Market look pretty wicked. I love this line…not live and die by the Lilly Pulitizer planner. So many of us tend to over plan. It’s nice just to wing it occasionally. You were very smart to listen to your body and made those adjustments in your weekend training runs. Thanks for linking Amy!

I plan a lot of things, but I guess that’s just my personality… I like schedules and organization. I don’t like to do that on vacation though; probably because my every day life pretty much *requires* it.

The Seattle temps were a culture shock and so were other things in Seattle. I never want to live anywhere bigger than Charleston… I’m not a city person ;).

15. Christine says:

Glad you had fun in Seattle! Although I’m not sure how you stopped yourself from running in that glorious weather! Whenever I’m somewhere with better weather than here, I have to get out and run just to enjoy it. But sometimes it’s better to just take a break, too, and it sounds like you made a good decision. At least our temps are getting marginally cooler now.

Honestly, I was scared to run in Seattle. Even though the weather was beautiful, it’s a new city, I don’t know anyone there, and I don’t know my way around. Also, there were a lot of panhandlers around. I would rather just rest and enjoy the trip than attempt a run where I didn’t feel comfortable.

If I was staying somewhere in the suburbs… you bet I would have run on Tuesday morning in those temps ;).