Weekly Rundown: August 1-7

August is in full swing. I had a great week of runs and some strength workouts this week. Besides that, I was extremely busy at work.

We had a tax-free weekend here in SC, so I bought a new laptop on Friday. I had my eye on one I’d spotted at Costco last week, so I waited a few days to make my purchase and save the tax. We have this “holiday” in SC each year, and a laptop is a big purchase so the wait was worth it. Costco wasn’t much more crowded than usual, but traffic was tied up all over town this weekend.

My old laptop was almost 4 years old, so it was time to go!

Monday 45 minutes weights (lower body) + 7.1 miles (bridge)
Tuesday 7.2 miles
Wednesday BodyPump + 6.1 miles (track)
Thursday No workout.
Friday 7.5 miles including 3 mile HMP tempo (treadmill)
Saturday 12 miles
Sunday 8.1 miles
Total 48.1 miles + BodyPump + Weights

I’ve gotten into a routine with my key workouts, so most weeks look the same right now (they’ll look a little different once I start racing again).

On Wednesday, I did my usual track workout, and this week’s plan was 6 x 800m. The weather looked a little iffy, with a chance of thunderstorms and rain, but that meant the temperature was much cooler than normal (79 degrees, 89% humidity, breeze). The cooler temperatures definitely helped me keep my repeats around 5K pace.

IMG_20160803_185617

IMG_20160803_185710

Despite the weather, we had a nice little crowd and a rainbow at the end of the workout!

IMG_20160803_185417

On Thursday, I went to a dive bar called Cutty’s Elliotborough Establishment. In four years of living in Charleston, I’ve never visited a place as divey as Cutty’s, and if you’re interested, you must see it to believe it. You’ll feel worlds away from the fancier bars that are merely blocks away.

I had a delicious margarita and a lot of fun with the Charleston Beer Runners. I was the lone person who drove to the bar, but I take my recovery and my recovery beverages seriously.

13920562_453135804884475_5884003400093402039_o

On Friday, I did my tempo run on the treadmill, the only tolerable way to run 3 miles at your goal half marathon pace right now. It wasn’t too bad, but the tempo run distance increases every few weeks, so I’m a bit nervous about next week’s being 4 miles at goal pace.

Saturday’s run was 12 miles, and I changed up my route a little. Since the Fleet Feet group isn’t meeting, I started my run further away from the Cooper River Bridge, so I ran 3 miles before hitting the incline. I ran an out and back route and stopped for water a few times. Thank goodness for Chris from Fleet Feet Sports handing out bottles of water and the self-serve hydration station at Blue Sky Endurance!

On Sunday, I ran 8 miles on the Sawmill Branch Trail with Melissa. We started at the Y just after 7:30 AM and saw a lot of runners, walkers, and cyclists on the trail. We had a good conversation and I like running out at Sawmill Branch a few times a month for a change of scenery. Good friends and nice routes are worth the drive, anyway!

IMG_20160807_085713

After my run, I drank a protein shake then went out to Charleston Sports Pub with Clay and his friend Jeffrey who was in town for the weekend. Sunday was full of difficult decisions, including choosing between pancakes or a breakfast quesadilla at brunch, then between Olympics and Preseason NFL. I am loving the Olympics and looking forward to seeing how Raven Saunders and some other lowcountry athletes do in their respective events.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Summerville Running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekly Rundown: August 1-7

1. I can’t believe August is in full swing. It just blows my mind every time I think about it, haha. How interesting that SC has tax-free weekends! Do you have taxes on clothes? I know my family in NY does, so when they come to PA to visit, they love to shop because we don’t have taxes on clothing!

It looks and sounds like you had another great week of training! I hope this week is awesome, too!

We have taxes on absolutely everything here! The tax rate for Charleston County is 8.5% so for big purchases, tax free weekend provides a good savings. The restaurant sales tax is especially high here (I think 9 or 10%).

Clothes were tax free this weekend, also shoes and basically all school supplies. It’s a big help for families.

2. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Your cool weather is a hot and humid day here! I’m always impressed with how you stay so consistent with track workouts in the summer. Definitely going to pay off for fall races!

Thanks, yeah any day when the “feels like” is double-digits here is a cool day in August.

I’m quite excited to see what no humidity feels like when I get to Seattle…

3. Ha the struggle is real when it comes to choosing between great foods! Congratulations again to the hubs. My weeks are looking pretty much the same for now as well. It is always worth it to meet up with friends to run with. Looks like you and Melissa have a great friendship!

4. Wow, I can’t believe the taxes are so high there! That is awesome you were able to time up your laptop purchase so well. Hotel taxes/fees are what annoy me the most. It can add so much money on to the price!

I don’t blame you for doing your tempo run on the treadmill. I feel like I am running through peanut butter here in PA so I can’t imagine what it feels like in SC!

I’d needed a new laptop for awhile, but I wanted to hold out for the tax free weekend (and save up). It’s kind of inconvenient with vacation coming up and needing spending money with that, and also needing a sports massage… bleh. Adulting is hard and expensive!

Don’t talk about running through peanut butter… that would make me hungry! Basically it feels like a sauna in the mornings from the humidity here and in the evening it is just hot and bright outside. The weather here is just part of living in the south though so I keep plugging along, slowly…

5. Oooooooh I remember doing one tempo run at goal half marathon race pace and I just about died. It’s no joke! Cool about the new laptop. 4 years is a long time to have one! Great job this week, especially that tempo run. It’s so cool how our bodies adapt to the different paces for longer as each week goes by.

Yeah, it’s Hansons Half Marathon plan. They have a lot of tempos at goal pace. Hopefully that way my legs will know exactly how that pace feels when I run the half marathon race, at least. These are actually the shorter ones and they build over the cycle of the plan. I try not to look far beyond each week or else I’ll get really terrified…

6. HoHo Runs says:

We have those tax free weekends too, designed to coordinate with the beginning of the school year. Sometimes, those dive placesend up being such a treasure. Our favorite oyster bar is like that. Sawmill Branch looks like a great place to run. We have nothing like that around here. And of course, running with a good friend makes it even better. Thanks for linking, Amy!

We have oyster bars here too- and you’re right, the divey ones can be the best.

I feel like the best sales are never on the tax free weekends. I did a lot of shopping for clothes and stuff last weekend at Dillards, when they had an awesome sale (extra 30-40% off all clearance). But that sale wasn’t on this past weekend.

7. Hi Amy,

I just noticed you went to a NAGA tournament as well! My boyfriend does Brazilian jiu jitsu so I just thought that was cool to see. I think I’m going to try muay thai out myself this week– have you done any martial arts?
    And I have a good friend who lives in Charleston and LOVES it. I give you credit for the track workout in the hot and humid weather. I wish we had more running groups around here because it would increase my chances of getting out on the track more.

I read a few of your blog posts before I started following and I noticed that too (you just don’t see many runners whose significant others do BJJ). I actually have never tried any martial arts but ATT Lowcountry has quite a few women who train there.

I love our Wednesday night workouts!

8. Christine says:

Tax-free weekend is great! I bought my Mac last year over that weekend. Definitely adds up when sales tax is 8.5%. Looks like another good week of workouts for you! I’ve been taking my speed sessions indoors, too. I just can’t stand the soupy heat to hit the paces I need to hit right now.

I can’t run the tempo runs outside at all. Even my last 5K was slower than my half marathon goal pace. I’m good with intervals outside, since at least those have breaks between them.

Sales tax here is crazy and I heard on the news where they voted TONIGHT to put it on the ballot in November to raise it AGAIN…

9. Sweet to score a laptop on the tax-free weekend. I’ve been looking at getting one myself. I have a desktop at home for work, but I like the idea of having a portable computer. It seems like you have a wonderful running community in Charleston! You had a very solid week of training!