Weekly Rundown: July 25-31

August is here! This month brings us back to school and football, both of which are great reminders that the summer sufferfest isn’t permanent.

13876579_1080410411994411_2037705618937105999_n

The heat was rough this week, but that’s the reality of living in Charleston. Often, the heat means modifying workouts and slowing down. Clay and I are planning a vacation later this summer, so I’m excited to get away from the hot temperatures, even if it’s only for a few days.

Monday Lower body strength + 6 miles (garages)
Tuesday 7.1 miles easy
Wednesday BodyPump + 6.1 miles (track/intervals)
Thursday No workout
Friday 7.5 miles, including 3 mile HMP tempo (treadmill)
Saturday 13.15 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 48 miles + 45 minutes strength + BodyPump

Nothing new to report this week. We had a good garage run on Monday night, and I had a nice easy run on Tuesday before work. Speaking of work, it’s been especially hectic this week with lots of tickets and work coming in, but it’s nice to stay busy.

On Wednesday, we did a track workout. It was 97 degrees during our track workout and I was a little disappointed because I haven’t had a triple-digit run yet this summer and I was hoping Wednesday would be that day.

I ran 8 x 600m repeats, with a 200m jog between each one. A lot of our regulars weren’t around this week because it’s the middle of Ironman training, but those of us who showed up had a good workout followed by freeze pops thanks to Melissa.

IMG_20160727_180318

IMG_20160727_191418

On Thursday, I went to a fundraiser at Blue Sky Endurance, a triathlon store in Mt. Pleasant. The store raised money for Raven Saunders’ family to go to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio. Raven is a graduate of Burke High School who qualified for the Olympics a few weeks ago in the shot put. As an athlete, Raven’s trip is paid for, but not her family’s.

Raven’s family was on hand at Blue Sky Endurance to chat with everyone, and you could tell they were super thankful for the support. The store’s owner, Catherine, met Raven when she fitted her for a sports bra a few years ago. I met Raven last summer when she was practicing her throws at the downtown/Citadel track. You never know when you might meet a future Olympian.

The fundraiser raised over $1,000 for Raven’s mom, aunt, and sister to put toward the trip. Between the Blue Sky Endurance fundraiser, a Krispy Kreme fundraiser, and a GoFundMe account, the trip is completely paid for.

FB_IMG_1469799851488

Saturday, I did a long run in Mt. Pleasant. I ran my usual bridge route and then joined the Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant group for some additional miles. Cindi and I ran together for the last 6 miles of my long run, and I misestimated the distance so we ended up running longer than planned. Oops.

I’m sad that the Saturday summer runs from the store are ending because I’ve enjoyed them. A lot of people still start and end their runs there, but it’s so much easier to do long runs with some company, even if it’s just part of the miles. Hanging out after the group run is fun too, as we eat King of Pops and chat.

13901471_634198670077873_1273837360824545294_n

On Sunday, I ran with the Hampton Park group, including my friend and fellow running blogger Alex (Tour De Blue Shoes) who lives in Columbia. Alex was vacationing at Folly Beach and wanted to get a run in while he was here. I think he appreciated the flatness of Charleston!

13906904_1047903945277649_453328394595768540_n

Even though I did a long run the day before, I felt pretty strong on Sunday and surprised myself. I feel like this break from racing, along with the mileage bump has helped a lot, but it’s hard to test that theory without any local races coming up and with 99% humidity all the time. Fortunately, August is here and it’s the last completely hot month before it starts to cool down.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Charleston Running Club, Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: July 25-31

1. KrisLawrence says:

Nice week!! I need to try the freeze pop thing after workouts. I always think of it but never remember to bring them for our group.

2. Hollie says:

Nice training week despite the weather. It sounds like you accomplished everything you wanted and more.

3. You have had some strong months of running and you are on your way to some new PRs (in all distances) this fall!!!!!
    Running in this heat is making you stronger and faster for the cooler months ahead
    YOU ROCK!!!!!

Thanks girly, you rock too and I’ll always be super jealous of your speed! I just can’t run fast- the curse of being an aerobic beast, I guess. Hope to see you on Wednesday and hear more about the 5K!

4. You did a track workout in 97 degree, 99% humidity weather?!?!?! INCREDIBLE. Nice job!!!!!

Yes. I live in South Carolina and that was the weather on the night I was scheduled to do a track workout.

A few weeks ago it was 99, so it was actually a little cooler.

5. This is the beauty of summer running, you can’t really test your fitness level with the heat and humidity like this. But when fall comes, BAM! You’re like WAY speedier than you ever were before. Like magic. 🙂

I really hope so! It’s almost like a 1980s game show, let’s see what’s behind Door #1, once the humidity and heat go away in the Fall. Your fitness is the mystery prize.

6. It was so hot here this week too! What a track workout in that heat/humidity. I think you are the only person I have ever heard say that they were looking forward to a triple digit run haha. What is a garage run? A run on the treadmill in your garage?

The garage run is a ~6 mile route in downtown Charleston that includes 6 different parking garages. The garages have different inclines/grades and lengths, and we run from garage to garage, run up them, wait on everyone, and run down. We also wait between garages if we need to, and some people skip a garage if they’re just not feeling it, etc. The parking garages and bridge are the only way to do any sort of hill training here.

We don’t own a treadmill- I just go to Planet Fitness when I want to use one ;). I honestly think it’s cheaper to just use Planet’s because treadmills are pricey and break often!

• Thanks for the clarification! I would have never guess that was what a garage run is! I read Suzy’s blog and I know she runs in her garage on a treadmill so that was the first thing I could think of. I don’t own one either. If someone gave one to me I wouldn’t cry about it but I don’t want to spend the money. 🙂

Haha, it’s fine. Most people don’t think of running in parking garages anyway… it’s how you “hack” a hill workout if you live in pancake-flat Charleston, though.

Side note: The city garage on Queen Street has a sign inside that says “Speed Limit: 5 MPH”. So we don’t run that one. LOL.

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

That fundraiser must mean so much to that family – so awesome that they get to see their daughter complete in the Olympics! What a supportive and generous community you have.
    Great workouts this weekend! Doing a track workout in that heat and humidity must be like training at altitude – you’ll be so fast by fall.

I was glad I could attend the fundraiser for Raven’s family. They actually met the goal the day before in another fundraiser (donut sale), but with the extra money, they will have spending money for Rio or can put it toward another use for the family.

I always hear that heat and humidity is like altitude! Of course, the highest altitude I’ve ever trained at was 6 floors high… at the top of a Charleston Parking Garage ;).

8. Another stellar week! I can’t wait for you to start claiming PR after PR this fall.

I hope so- I’m just focusing on the day to day process, really, rather than figuring out a race schedule. I have faith the faster times will come when it’s time.

9. Raven Saunders goes to Ole Miss! She seems like a really great girl, and I’m so glad she gets to go compete in Rio!

Her family is so nice! They really enjoyed hanging out with everyone at the fundraiser and talking about their upcoming trip. You can tell they are super excited and proud of Raven.

Raven went to high school right here in Charleston, at our downtown high school, Burke. It’s the same school where the Charleston Marathon begins and I run past it quite often. It’s so amazing that someone from right here in town, who practices on the same track I have run on, can go to the Olympics.

10. HoHo Runs says:

I LOVE that chalkboard sign! I can be certain that I’ll never wish for a triple digit run. But I certainly hope YOU get your wish before the summer is over. LOL. It was very nice of Blue Sky Endurance to raise money for Raven’s family to travel to Rio. It’s very special when you can actually meet the people you are raising funds for. Thanks for linking, Amy!

I agree with you on the last point. My favorite races are also the ones where you see where your money is going. I ran one race where the proceeds benefited a school for handicapped kids, and they were on the course during the race in the special running/racing wheelchairs. It’s very inspirational but also you know your money is going toward a worthy cause.

11. I’m pretty excited that August is here! It’s like BYE summer! I love that you said you were disappointed that you didn’t get to run in triple digit temps. Hard. Core. So many people are complaining about the heat, and I want to be like suck it up buttercup. It’s like this every year. We live in the South. Deal with it 🙂

I have the same mindset of dealing with it, I guess. You’re always better off safe than sorry in the heat, but if you’ve been running before you should be able to keep running. Even if you cut back a little in the summer or go inside, or make all your workouts effort-based instead of pace based, you can still keep up the running. It helps a lot with faster Fall times!

12. Your so right about the heat index! I tell ya visiting Myrtle Beach, I felt right at home in the heat I mean yall really didn’t have to make me feel soooo welcomed in that sense. Even 10 degrees cooler would have been fine! 🙂
    What an awesome event to support. I know the Ravens will have a wonderful time in Rio! It really makes a difference getting to meet the people you are helping !

Yep, Myrtle Beach is pretty hot too. I have a lot of friends who live and run there with the Grand Strand Running Club. They are having a tough time just like we are with the heat! I am glad you had a great trip though and loved reading about it in your post :).

I saw on the news where Raven’s family left for Rio 2 days ago! It was great to see that and know that the fundraiser helped them get there.