Weekly Rundown: July 11-17

The holidays are over, and now I’m counting down the weeks until back-to-school, college football, and tolerable running weather here in Charleston. Despite the heat, all of my runs were outside this week, and I did some strength training.

Monday 45 minutes strength training + 6 miles (garages)
Tuesday 7.1 miles
Wednesday 60 minutes BodyPump + 5.1 miles (track)
Thursday 7.2 miles, including Race the Landing #5 (22:28)
Friday No workout
Saturday 13.15 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 46 miles + 45 minutes strength + 60 minutes BodyPump

I was glad to get back to garage running on Monday afternoon- mainly because our garage runs are downtown and cooler than West Ashley because of the sea breeze. You get some natural shade running inside the garages, the view from the top is beautiful, and you can smell fried seafood and barbeque from nearby Charleston restaurants. It was a fun 6 miles.

On Wednesday, the rain held off for our track workout, but it was 99 degrees. I was really hoping to log my first triple-digit run of the summer!

IMG_20160713_180329

My workout was 8 x 400m, followed by 1 mile of “ins and outs”, which is sprinting the straight parts of the track and jogging easy around the curves. I kept a consistent pace and completed the workout.

At the end of the run, our friend and Summerville Tri Club social organization diva Keri brought popsicles to the track. John, Melissa, and I had one of our fastest cooldown miles ever to finish up and eat one of those bomb pops before they melted.

IMG_20160713_190126

On Thursday night, I ran the final 5K of the Race the Landing summer series. I wasn’t feeling the run that night and just wanted to be done so I could party- and my time reflects that- but I enjoyed the series a lot this year. I’ll recap the race later this week, but it was a very inspiring night with friends, running, food, beer, and awards. Race the Landing is pretty much the Cadallac of summer 5K series and I highly recommend it.

13710027_866788437693_4588663590383689249_n

Saturday, I ran a long run, starting out with 7 miles with Melissa, who wanted to run the Cooper River Bridge, and finishing up with the Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant group where Cindi and I ran a little extra to explore Patriot’s Point. I was close to 13, so I decided to make the long run an impromptu half marathon.

This run was my first time running 13.1 miles since the Hilton Head Island Half Marathon and obviously much slower, since it’s summer and not a race. I always forget how hard it is to run that distance with no shirts, medals, awards, or spectators. I was grateful that Chris M. from Fleet Feet was set up at the foot of the bridge with water and Nuun, though- at least there was an aid station!

13716162_627667974064276_5795716747212408579_n

(I love Cindi, but after 7 sweaty pre-picture miles, I kept my distance.)

After running, our Saturday was pretty low-key. I did some shopping at the outlet malls, and Clay grilled steaks and salmon that night. We keep our weekends simple.

On Sunday, I ran 8 miles from Hampton Park with the other Sunday morning group runners, and I ran a fairly easy pace. The run was a little creepy though, because a funeral home van followed some of us for almost two miles, almost as if they were hoping for a new customer. It wasn’t that hot, though- since it rained/stormed the night before and we started earlier than usual (8:30 AM). We had post-run popsicles and chatter, and it was a nice morning.

I hope everyone had a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Mt Pleasant, Race the Landing, Training Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Weekly Rundown: July 11-17

1. thisrunnersrecipes says:

That track workout sounds fun! It’s so tempting when you smell good food on a run. My long runs go through the wine/beer valley and the smell of hops is enticing even in the morning. Well done on your longest long run since the spring!

2. laurenweiner says:

I’d love to know more about how you stay safe in parking garage runs. Do you find emptier parking garages or are they fairly busy?

We run as a group and we go at a time of day when the garages are not very busy. Early in the morning is a good time to do it or later in the evenings after people get off work. Garages here actually have hours so most morning runners could hit a garage or two before they open to cars.

Also, you watch out for cars and stay aware of your surroundings, even if that means slowing down or stopping for car. Running in downtown Charleston, you have to stop a lot for traffic and lights anyway.

3. Ha ha okay what? A funeral van followed you?! I remember nearly getting run over by a hearse once during a long run. Nice miles last week, especially through that kind of heat. I am impressed.

4. I’ve never done a HM in training, so it’s interesting to read your take on how much tougher HM-distance training runs are than the races. I have my first one in August, but I keep having flashbacks to my last 12 miler before this spring’s race and how awful that run was. Another 1.1 miles doesn’t seem that much longer, but in this heat? Sheesh. I think we’re all just ready for cooler weather

For my first half, I only went up to 11 miles. For my second half, I did one 13 miler. I’ve run a bunch of half marathons since then, with long runs maxing out at 12-16 miles. The plan I’m planning to follow for Sweet Tea goes up to 14 miles. I don’t think you really need to run the distance in training, though.

Thinking back on my past half marathons, the last long run was always worse than the race. Not sure how it works with full marathons- I’ll get back to you with my thoughts on that after January ;).

• I think I maybe did 10 before my first half and then had 12 before the second, but the Pfitz plan goes up to 14, with a lot of progressions in the 12-14 range. I think if you really want to race it, you need to be already comfortable with regular 10+ mile runs, but just to complete the distance, 9-10 is probably fine. Do you have a goal for Sweet Tea yet?

My PR is 1:38:28, so I’d like to get as close to 1:35 as possible :).

I agree- training varies so much from someone who is trying to complete the distance vs. someone who is going for time or shooting to place. Since I am thinking about the Charleston full in January, I am leaning toward a longer long run than if I was just running half marathons. Even though the Hansons’ plans have shorter long runs, the workouts during the week are pretty long even if your long run isn’t mileage-heavy.

5. I feel like certain distances just feel challenging. I ran 13.1 two weeks ago and can completely relate to wondering why I am doing this with no shirt/medal/etc. Honestly I would have passed on the shirt and medal just to have aid stations available, it was so hot. But this weekend I had 14 on the schedule and I didn’t have any of those thoughts. I think because it wasn’t an actual race distance my brain just didn’t make the “I could be getting a shirt for this” comparison.

Great week overall and congrats on finishing the Race the Landing series!

I loved the series! I don’t want to say I’m glad it’s over, because I enjoyed running with friends on so many Thursday nights this summer- but I am glad I am done with racing for a few weeks.

I occasionally like to run 13.1 miles in training just to be sure I still can. When you don’t do it for a few months, I guess you doubt yourself a little. The strava badge didn’t hurt either…

6. Great job last week!!! The heat is no joke all across the country it seems!

7. I love the idea of popsicles after the workout! I mean after a 99 degree workout, you definitely needed something cool! We have been in a popsicle phase here too lately, but we just have them at night while we are watching TV. Great week of workouts!

8. HoHo Runs says:

You know, there aren’t many weekends left until college football starts! Since our second son is going to the “rival” school, we will now be a house divided. I think smelling that yummy food during the garage run would be more like torture. 😉 You had a great week of outside running! I’ve never heard of an in/out track workout but it sounds like a nice way to approach the laps. Thanks for linking, Amy!

Thanks, yeah we have some house divided families here too and they have the flags in the yard that represent that ;). I always end up hungry after garage runs and smelling the restaurant foods!

9. Great week. That’s really exciting that you ran a half marathon distance and I imagine your long runs will start getting longer soon with your half marathon coming in the fall. Looking forward to hearing about the race the landing! I love how you are so close-knit with the running community.

I do plan to run longer long runs in this training block, because I’m considering a winter marathon (Charleston). I usually only run up to 13 when training for a half, but I may go to 14-16 this time.

10. I have not made a run in the double digits in quite some time. I really and not stressing over it either. Popsicles after a hot sweaty run are THE bomb and doesn’t get any better than Bomb Pops, lol!

11. I love that they gave out swords for awards! So cute! I haven’t heard about Adam but he is incredible & totally inspiring! I love that you write the date & your finishing time on your bibs… I really need to start doing that! Also, very solid week of training!!!! I will be passing the 40 miles per week for marathon training soon, really looking forward to getting my mileage up there!