Life Lately: July 2016

Since I work from home, I try to get out of the house at least once a day- and I don’t count going for a solo run as getting out of the house. With so much going on over the past few weeks, I haven’t had any problems finding fun things to do in Charleston.

Charleston Social Media Day

On June 30, I attended Charleston Social Media Day at the Charleston Museum. The event featured two panels of speakers, with one presentation on crisis communication and another on engaging clients, customers, and ambassadors (your “squad”).

IMG_20160630_140714

The crisis communications panel consisted of city and county communications workers who discussed PR and social media after the Emanuel AME tragedy, the Walter Scott case, and the October flooding. It was fascinating to hear them talk about how little sleep they got, how absolutely sure they had to be before reporting anything, and other concerns in the digital age.

I learned a lot from both presentations and met some people who I formerly only knew from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or blogs. I’m now following some new-to-me local bloggers, too.

IMG_20160630_134042

Miso Hungry for Wasabi Yelp Elite Event

Clay and I attended Yelp’s Miso Hungry for Wasabi event at Wasabi Mount Pleasant. The event was open to Yelp Elites and guests, and the trek to North Mount Pleasant was more than worth the drive time and gas!

2016-07-08_17-09-25

Wasabi and the Yelp team outdid themselves with this event- Wasabi even closed down the restaurant for the Yelp Elites. The staff kept the sushi and nibbles coming and the drinks flowing throughout the night. With so many types of sushi to choose from, I was way more adventurous than usual and tried a little of everything, since I wasn’t limited to just one roll. I loved most sushi rolls I tried and the scallops, tuna stuffed peppers, and firecracker shrimp.

2016-07-08_17-10-32

Clay and I hung out with Vy and her friend Annan at the event, and we had lots to talk about. Vy is another Charleston runner and Yelp Elite, and it was Annan’s first Yelp event (it set the bar pretty high).

2016-07-08_17-08-18

On the way out, I picked up a menu and noticed tons of options besides the sushi and the appetizers we tried. I can’t wait to go back and try some other items, but I know I’ll have a hard time deciding what to order. You can read my Yelp review of the event here.

Beer Mile Spectating

A few friends ran a patriotic beer mile celebration for July 4.

Beer miles are fun to watch and so unpredictable. It’s not always about being a fast runner like an actual race is- and sometimes people who don’t race a lot, don’t race fast distances like the mile, and don’t look like stereotypical runners are the most successful beer miles. A couple of runners had beer mile times slower than their 5K times.

I’ve never raced a mile or drank four beers, but I attended to hang out with friends, take photos, and cheer my friend Aisha on to victory. She ran the fastest beer mile out of all the ladies there!

IMG_20160701_183038

The Secret Life of Pets

On Saturday afternoon, Virginia, Stella, and I went to see The Secret Life of Pets. This was Stella’s second movie and a really good pick, as it was definitely a movie for kids (not much adult humor in there). The theatre was full of kids squirming and giggling, so she fit right in. Going to the movies is a great way to beat the heat and humidity, and we had a lot of fun.

Before the movie, the theatre showed a preview of the new Ghostbusters movie, and we took a picture on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bench together. I love how all the 90s trends are coming back for kids today.

IMG_20160709_190650

I hope everyone’s having a great summer. What have you been up to lately?

This entry was posted in Charleston, Charleston SC, Just for Fun, Uncategorized, Yelp and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Life Lately: July 2016

1. Hollie says:

That social media event sounds super interesting, thanks for sharing.

I have heard a lot about the Secret Life of Pets. I’ve wanted to see it!

I do feel like summer is flying right by! I haven’t been up to a whole heck of a lot (which is good or bad I guess).

Social media day is actually a national thing, which I thought was pretty cool. Different cities and areas observe it in different ways with meetups, conferences, hashtags, etc.

Summer IS flying by… Walmart and Target are already full of back to school items!

2. That sushi looks amazing!
    Good for you that you get yourself out! It is so important to make time for ourselves. I need to be better at that!

3. Christine says:

How did I miss this social media event? That would have been a cool thing to go to! I love Wasabi. It’s right by my house, so we tend to frequent it.

Charleston Social Media Day was great- I learned about it through Yelp, as Scotty from Yelp was one of the moderators. Holy City Sinner (Christian) was the other moderator. Both panels were really informative and I learned a lot. Plus, you can’t beat free food, drinks, and socializing after.

4. All of that sounds like so much fun! I was thinking about going to see The Secret Life of Pets, but then someone pointed out that it’s pretty much Toy Story with animals and now I probably won’t go see it. It didn’t seem like it was going to be a huge hit anyway. But that sushi looked amazing.

It did remind me of Toy Story with animals, but… Toy Story is better. Pixar movies are the best. It was a cute movie for kids, and it’s fun to take a kid to, but I don’t blame you to wait until it’s out on DVD or just not see it unless there’s a kid involved.

5. Laura says:

Looks like some fun things you have had going on! I feel that social media event had to have been pretty interesting, things are constantly changing! Brian and I really want to go see the secret life of pets. We joke ALL the time that we need to leave a camera out to see what our 2 dogs do all day.

Social media is constantly evolving. Everything moves so much faster today than it did 15, 10, or even 5 years ago. Look at how fast the Pokemon Go app has taken off and changed social media in the past… week.

You know, I really thought The Secret Life of Pets would be like what you described. I’d say the first 10 minutes or so of the movie was, but after that… it was truly a kids movie. I probably wouldn’t recommend it for two adults going to see a movie without a kid in tow.

6. Farrah says:

I just had a sushi buffet last night and I still want that entire plate, hahaha. It looks so good! I really hope I’ll someday get to go to a Yelp Elite event! I’ve been one since 2009 but haven’t ever been able to make it to a single one. ;_;

I really want to watch The Secret Life of Pets! ❤ I'm super happy that all the 90's trends are coming back too, haha. I get to relive my childhood!

The best thing about the trends is we relive our childhoods, and everyone with young kids can pass on the trends.

Being a Yelp Elite is pretty awesome. I review a ton of places and post pictures, so I’m contributing to the community but the perks are nice. I have tried so many restaurants and experiences I would have never done if I weren’t a Yelp Elite or hadn’t found out about them via Yelp.

7. Sounds like a cool event! I’ve been looking for things like that to do around my town.

That sushi has me DROOLING! oh wow oh wow. Now I need sushi for lunch 🙂

I want to see secret life of pets SO bad but I thought there would be a lot more adult humor than you said there was.. dang! Was thinking of going to see it at the drive in this weekend.

Well, I don’t want to discourage anyone from seeing it. Not that I think kids films should have adult humor but they occasionally do have jokes that only the parents and the adults get. If you think you’ll like it, go! But, IMHO, it’s not a movie to see opening weekend or fight the crowds for. A drive-in movie would be neat though, or a cheap theatre.

Kudos to Yelp and Reddit for keeping me informed of events and what’s going on!

8. I’ve never done a beer mile; it’s just not something I’ve ever really wanted to do! Beer is so expensive up here that I wouldn’t want to waste it. I love a cold beer *after* my run, but not during!!! Ha ha!

9. Oh darn, really wish I would have know about that social media event. I am so out of the loop.

10. Love reading these posts! Hw neat that Charleston has a social media day! That makes me wonder if Pittsburgh has one, haha.

I have been wanting to see The Secret Life of Pets! Jimmy and I plan on going soon!!

Social Media Day is actually a National or Global thing, held each year in the beginning of July. They have hashtags and everything (figures!).

Secret Life of Pets was okay… at first I thought it would be like a pet version of Toy Story, but it is more of a kid’s movie than Toy Story. I think Pixar does animation the best, as their movies are truly for all ages…

• So, Jimmy and I just saw Secret Life of Pets last night and totally agree with you. It was just fair. I enjoyed Zootopia much more! It seemed like Secret Life of Pets tried to copy Finding Nemo, haha.

11. That sushi looks amazing! I have really been wanting to see The Secret Life of Pets as well, but I haven’t been able to convince Daniel (womp womp). I am also wanting to try a beer mile now as well! I have a feeling that I might be one of those that would be faster on a 5K than on the beer mile. Lol!

I’m pretty sure I would be one of those people as well if I ever attempted a beer mile! I only like a few kinds of beers… I would say do it with a beer you never want to drink otherwise!