Weekly Rundown: July 4-10

Another scorching hot, summer training week is in the books.

heat-wave-meme

This week, we had our first taste of triple digit temperatures. I start my runs early and try to stick to shaded areas, so I miss out on most of the heat, at least. 100 degrees happens every summer in SC and is nothing new. Runners train through it because we live here and that’s life, just like people in colder states train when it snows. I’m glad we can run year-round here.

Monday 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Tuesday 7.2 miles
Wednesday 60 minutes BodyPump + 6.5 miles (treadmill tempo)
Thursday No workout
Friday 8.1 miles
Saturday 12.2 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 50 miles + 60 minutes BodyPump

My training week started out even more uneventful than usual. We had a local race on July 4, a 4-mile trail run, but if you’ve been reading this blog long enough, you know how I feel about trail runs. Just look at the fact that I opted to sleep in and treadmill instead of a trail run, right? Besides, I’m enjoying this break from racing and didn’t want to break the non-racing streak.

2016-07-08_15-51-40

On Wednesday, I went to BodyPump and learned that my favorite instructor is leaving the gym *and* the US to return home to (I think) New Zealand. I was pretty sad because Belinda is the best instructor at my otherwise lackluster gym. I will miss her so much and I think everyone who does any classes there will because she taught so many classes.

Our Wednesday night track workout was stormed out this week. Tami and I left West Ashley at 5:10 and everything looked great- not a cloud in the sky. Weather Underground called for a 30% chance of rain, which means there’s a 70% chance of no rain. Besides, races are held in the rain, so we train in the rain.

As soon as we got into Summerville, a freak storm came out of nowhere- and it was pretty bad. We all waited at the track (in our cars) for about 15 minutes before officially calling the workout off because conditions wouldn’t improve. The thunder and lightning were rough, and on our drive back to West Ashley, we saw tons of limbs fallen from trees. One of our track guys went home only to find a tree fell on his garage.

Once Tami dropped me off at my house, I didn’t even go inside. I went straight to my car, drove to Planet Fitness, and did a 35 minute tempo run (I wasn’t attempting 600m repeats on the treadmill). I watched Jeopardy during my run so it was slightly educational, right?

2016-07-08_15-42-01

On Saturday, I started my long run early- at 6:35 AM! I’m *not* an early morning runner, so for me to start a run before 7 AM means it’s hot outside. I know runners who start at 4 AM and 5 AM, but if I had to run then, I wouldn’t go to bed at all until after my run. I like my sleep and I like staying up later.

For my long run, I ran the Cooper River Bridge, then ran over to Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant for group run. The crowd is smaller since Beat the Heat is over. It was a tough 12 miler but great to see some friends on the bridge. I jokingly call Saturday morning bridge runs the “Ravenel Family Reunion” because you always see familiar faces on the bridge’s pedestrian path, and the bridge’s official name is the Arthur Ravenel Bridge. Sometimes a smile, wave, or high five on a hot Saturday gives you that extra boost of energy you need.

FB_IMG_1468078996068

On Sunday, I ran Sawmill Bridge Trails with Melissa C., who is starting Sweet Tea Half Marathon training after a 5K filled summer. She’s raced even more 5Ks this summer than I have, if you can believe that! Both of us were running on tired legs, so we ran easy and enjoyed it.

IMG_20160710_092531

After our run, I made a post-run trip for groceries (yay Aldi!), then Clay and I headed downtown for Second Sunday on King Street. Every 2nd Sunday of the month, the City of Charleston closes King Street to vehicle traffic, so we walked down the street, visited Marion Square, got lunch at CO, and caught a bunch of Pokemon! It was a nice little Sunday date.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, Mt Pleasant, Summerville, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Weekly Rundown: July 4-10

1. Great mileage!!! I haven’t been running very much since my hubby deployed, but have decided it’s time to get back at it. Even if I have to bring my little one with me!

Thanks- yeah, I have some friends who have jogging strollers and a few whose kids bike alongside them when they run. Tracks are good for things like that too, we have a few people who bring their kids to track sometimes and they play out there. I hope you find a way to make it work.

2. thisrunnersrecipes says:

It’s seriously impressive how you hit 50 miles in a week and don’t run longer than 12 miles! That seems to be the way to do it in the heat though, so you’re never out there for too long at once.

So true about the heat… although living here, you kinda get used to it. The runs are just slower and you accept that. I don’t really see much reason to run more than 12 miles right now. I don’t have any races longer than a 5K until say, October.

3. I love the family reunion nickname! You’re hilarious. And I love your take on running through the heat, how you’re thankful that you actually CAN run year-round. And nice job on that gym treadmill run; most people would have just turned around and gone home! DEDICATION.

A friend and I ride to the track together, and I told her when I was getting out of her car when she dropped me off, that I was immediately getting into my car and going. Not changing shoes, not going inside and sitting down, etc. Otherwise I would have totally skipped it.

I used to hate running in the heat. We still don’t have a great relationship, but I do love the fast Fall PRs that consistent summer training brings :).

4. Christine says:

OMG, it’s so hot. And I’ve been stuck running mid-day in this noise. So miserable. I got myself a gym membership so I can at least do decent speedwork/intervals without the heat. Every run in the heat is slog right now. I got stuck in that storm on Wednesday, too, and it cut the distance of my run in half. Good job with your workouts this week!

That storm came out of nowhere. When we were driving toward Summerville, we said “Hmm, we might get a few drops of rain to cool us off”. 10 minutes later, it was pouring, thundering, and lightening. Oh well…

I am lucky that I can get out early to run. If my run is done by 9 AM, it’s not so bad.

5. I don’t know how you do it in this heat without starting at 5 or 6 a.m. regularly. I like sleep too (a lot actually) and I’ve definitely been known to “sneak in” a 3 or 4 hour nap on the weekends 🙂 Great job on getting a tempo run in after your track session got stormed out! I would’ve been really tempted to call it a day at that point, but that’s why I pretty much have to do my workouts in the morning. I can talk myself out of an evening workout in no time!

My long runs are only 12, so I guess if I had to run longer, I’d probably start at 6.

I can’t see myself starting too early, though, ever. A few years ago, I “trained” for a Fall marathon (I use the term “train” loosely and say I “participated” in the marathon because I really only ran 18 miles of it and am not proud of my time). I did all my runs super early, starting at 5 AM sometimes. On race day, I wasn’t prepared to start running at 8 AM when I was usually finishing up at that time.

Now, I try to do my runs closer to the race time- it works well with fueling and getting used to the temperatures at that time of day.

• That’s a good point about the start time and being used to that. I’ve always found that difficult at the bigger races, where you sometimes don’t start until 10 or 11 a.m. Very tricky! Whenever the temperature does cool off (you know … November-ish), I might start later to get ready for race day 🙂

I think if I had longer mileage to run, I would probably start earlier than I do in the summer. I don’t plan to train for a Fall marathon (like, ever), so any Winter/Spring race, the temperatures should be dropped enough for me to start my long runs no earlier than 6:30 or so!

6. Whoa- I have never even attempted triple degree temperatures. Sounds like you had a great week of training in spite of that! Really a bummer to hear about your instructor. I was really upset when my aerobics teacher (way back in 2002 ) left!!

Oh, it wasn’t actually triple digits when I was running- because I run early :). I should clarify that while we had 100 degree weather, I was NOT running in it.

I don’t think it hit 100 in West Ashley on Saturday anyway because we had rain. It got up to 100 in other areas, though.

I have run in triple digits a few times during afternoon track workouts, but not this summer. It hasn’t been that hot. Yet.

7. You are very right, we can talk and talk about it until we are blue in the face but the fact is it gets hot where we live. We have a choice, either run in it or don’t. IT is what IT is! You and I choose to do it.
    I always love to see the races you and Melissa are in, wow I didn’t realize she’s run more 5k’s than you have. Thanks for linking up Amy!

Agreed. No shame in hitting the treadmill when you have to, or skipping a run to cross train if it’s incredibly hot. But I believe there are benefits to getting out there in the summer whenever you can. I did run outside 3 times last week, so half of my runs were outdoors… and I’m fine with that. That’s 3 times more than people who take the summers off running, right?

Melissa is always racing! I got a little burnt out so decided to take a break for a few weeks. I have some big time goals for the Fall, so I’ll have to keep my racing in check over those months.

8. HoHo Runs says:

50 miles! Great job this week. Sorry to hear your favorite instructor is leaving the gym. Maybe she’ll be replaced with someone as good — or maybe someone you like even better! Fingers crossed. It is a perk that we can run year round in the south! Winter is my favorite, though. Thankfully, this week’s dew point has been a little lower than last. Thanks for linking, Amy!

The instructor who took over the class is really good too- a very nice lady and certified in a lot of Les Mills programs like BodyPump, BodyFlow, and CXWORX.