Another scorching hot, summer training week is in the books.
This week, we had our first taste of triple digit temperatures. I start my runs early and try to stick to shaded areas, so I miss out on most of the heat, at least. 100 degrees happens every summer in SC and is nothing new. Runners train through it because we live here and that’s life, just like people in colder states train when it snows. I’m glad we can run year-round here.
|Monday||8 miles (treadmill intervals)|
|Wednesday||60 minutes BodyPump + 6.5 miles (treadmill tempo)|
|Total||50 miles + 60 minutes BodyPump|
My training week started out even more uneventful than usual. We had a local race on July 4, a 4-mile trail run, but if you’ve been reading this blog long enough, you know how I feel about trail runs. Just look at the fact that I opted to sleep in and treadmill instead of a trail run, right? Besides, I’m enjoying this break from racing and didn’t want to break the non-racing streak.
On Wednesday, I went to BodyPump and learned that my favorite instructor is leaving the gym *and* the US to return home to (I think) New Zealand. I was pretty sad because Belinda is the best instructor at my otherwise lackluster gym. I will miss her so much and I think everyone who does any classes there will because she taught so many classes.
Our Wednesday night track workout was stormed out this week. Tami and I left West Ashley at 5:10 and everything looked great- not a cloud in the sky. Weather Underground called for a 30% chance of rain, which means there’s a 70% chance of no rain. Besides, races are held in the rain, so we train in the rain.
As soon as we got into Summerville, a freak storm came out of nowhere- and it was pretty bad. We all waited at the track (in our cars) for about 15 minutes before officially calling the workout off because conditions wouldn’t improve. The thunder and lightning were rough, and on our drive back to West Ashley, we saw tons of limbs fallen from trees. One of our track guys went home only to find a tree fell on his garage.
Once Tami dropped me off at my house, I didn’t even go inside. I went straight to my car, drove to Planet Fitness, and did a 35 minute tempo run (I wasn’t attempting 600m repeats on the treadmill). I watched Jeopardy during my run so it was slightly educational, right?
On Saturday, I started my long run early- at 6:35 AM! I’m *not* an early morning runner, so for me to start a run before 7 AM means it’s hot outside. I know runners who start at 4 AM and 5 AM, but if I had to run then, I wouldn’t go to bed at all until after my run. I like my sleep and I like staying up later.
For my long run, I ran the Cooper River Bridge, then ran over to Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant for group run. The crowd is smaller since Beat the Heat is over. It was a tough 12 miler but great to see some friends on the bridge. I jokingly call Saturday morning bridge runs the “Ravenel Family Reunion” because you always see familiar faces on the bridge’s pedestrian path, and the bridge’s official name is the Arthur Ravenel Bridge. Sometimes a smile, wave, or high five on a hot Saturday gives you that extra boost of energy you need.
On Sunday, I ran Sawmill Bridge Trails with Melissa C., who is starting Sweet Tea Half Marathon training after a 5K filled summer. She’s raced even more 5Ks this summer than I have, if you can believe that! Both of us were running on tired legs, so we ran easy and enjoyed it.
After our run, I made a post-run trip for groceries (yay Aldi!), then Clay and I headed downtown for Second Sunday on King Street. Every 2nd Sunday of the month, the City of Charleston closes King Street to vehicle traffic, so we walked down the street, visited Marion Square, got lunch at CO, and caught a bunch of Pokemon! It was a nice little Sunday date.
I hope everyone has a wonderful week!