Weekly Rundown: June 20-26

Another week of surviving the summer heat training is in the books.

I ran all my runs outside this week, including the quality days (Wednesday and Saturday). Wednesday night track was a bit rough (felt like 99), and I’m convinced the Summerville High School track is the hottest place in the tri-county area. That heat reflects off the track’s surface!

Monday 45 minutes strength AM + 6 miles (garages) PM
Tuesday No workout
Wednesday 5.2 miles AM + 5 miles PM (track/intervals)
Thursday 5.15 miles
Friday 7.15 miles
Saturday 12 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 48.6 miles

We had a nice crowd for Wednesday night track, and it was great seeing everyone! One of our runners requested an old workout we did last year, which consisted of 3 sets of 200m repeats. We ran 8 repeats in each set, for a total of 3 miles of hard running, with 30 second breaks between each repeat, and 2 minutes between each set.

IMG_20160622_180408

For someone who’s used to aerobic running and lots of longer, slower, distance, this was crazy hard! My legs were screaming at me by the end of the run. My friend Brian kept me motivated on the last 5 reps. It was the hardest workout I’ve done in awhile, but one I know I’ll be thankful for when I race another 5K.

IMG_20160622_185857

I have a few more 5K runs this summer, but no goal race yet… maybe September.

On Thursday, I went to a group run at Blue Sky Endurance, a new triathlon store in Mt. Pleasant. It was my first time checking out the store, which is really nice and a great one-stop-shop for area triathletes and runners.

IMG_20160623_175224

The group run had two special guests, Esther Erb Atkins and her husband Cole Atkins, who are both professional runners and US Olympic Trials qualifiers. Cole is from Charleston and graduated from AMHS. They talked about their experiences and answered questions, then joined us on a 3-5 mile run in the Old Village.

FB_IMG_1466733649831

My friend Shawanna visited from Columbia and stayed at the house after the group run and talk so she didn’t have to drive back so late. It was really fun having a house guest for the night and we watched TV and just hung out. I actually like having company and would love to do it more often!

If long runs are church, Saturday’s 12-miler was a fire and brimstone service.

It was already a “feels like” temperature of 90 at 6:45 AM when I started. I ran 7 miles on my own (Cooper River Bridge), followed by 5 miles with the Fleet Feet Group Run. I tried to time my 7-miler just right so that I wouldn’t have to wait around long at the store, but I ended up running the last 2 miles a little fast because I was scared I’d miss the picture.

I ran a good pace for the last 5 miles, but it was hard because of fatigue + heat. A friend and I ran it together, and we made a WTF (where’s the finish?) stop. It was so humid, I had to ring the sweat out of my shorts. The only thing that got us through the last few miles was having to get back to Fleet Feet somehow and the promise of freeze pops at the end of the run.

On Sunday, I ran an 8 mile easy run with Melissa, which was her longest run in a long time. Both of us are hoping to run the Sweet Tea Half Marathon in November and have big goals for it. It was a conversational and scenic run. Sunday’s temperatures were cooler than Saturday, so we slowed down. Slower pace = More time to enjoy downtown Charleston.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and stays cool in the heat!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Rundown: June 20-26

1. Nice week in our sauna we now have! I pulled a hamstring in a softball tournament Tuesday night, so I am out of running for at least 2 weeks. 😦

2. hilaryruns says:

You might get another house guest in November; the Sweet Tea Half looks very interesting! My goal half is late October in Myrtle Beach, but if I miss my goal then the Sweet Tea is timed right to give it another shot if necessary. Anyway, what is your game plan for the half? I know you have tons of groups to run with, but do you/will you use a coach or specific training plan you think? It seems like you have gotten a lot faster (heat notwithstanding), so I bet your next half is gonna be a huge PR regardless!

I’ve thought about running Myrtle Beach- have never done one of those races and they look like fun. Great medals and shirts, too.

I don’t have a coach (I basically coach myself- so if I fail miserably in a race, I only have myself to blame, right?), and I don’t have a training plan. I’ve had some success following Hansons-style training for half marathons in the past. I kind of do some unconventional things like running up and down garages…

• I’ve done the garage running thing before. The biggest problem I have with it is that my watch can’t stick with a signal in there!

Yeah, our watches always lose signal and we get a different distance each time we run the route. It takes roughly an hour so I think all of us just log it as 6 miles. The mystery of not knowing exactly how long it is is kind of fun.. :).

• I’ve done the Sweet Tea half the first 2 years. I have recaps on my blog at doombuggyrunner.com.

I’ve read them :). I review the races I do and usually blogs are my first stop for finding good races, at least the major ones (i.e., not 5Ks)

I also remember we ran the course together a time or two (and got lost on the course together a time or two…)

• Yep you and I tend to do that a lot if I recall! Lol

BTW, just realized your comment may have been for Hilary up there ;).

So, Hilary… if you haven’t read David’s recaps, go read em!

3. Great week. That track workout sounds really intense, especially with such short recoveries in betweens reps. I was wondering how you survived in a short-sleeved shirt but then saw that you ended up in a sports bra only! Nice job battling the Charleston heat!

I only took it off because I was peer pressured to for the picture. I did the workout wearing the shirt- I kinda like using my shirt to wipe my sweaty face during workouts ;).

Some of us are talking about running the last Race the Landing sans shirts. I’m not sure I have the guts to do it (literally and figuratively) yet.

4. Sarah says:

Tracks ARE the hottest, like I feel you on this point so so so much! That looks like a solid turnout for the night track crew 🙂 The heat definitely does a number on your body with running, whether long or short distance. Not that my “long” runs are long haha but I find that my 5-6 mile runs are easier in the heat than 2-3 and I think it’s because of getting in the zone more… ya know? Be safe and happy running!

We do have a lot of people come to track- we have all levels and also a group doing heart rate training and ironman training, so they aren’t doing the same workout as the runners. We try to keep it fun and welcoming to everyone…

5. Solid week of running! It seems like you have a wonderful running community! That’s really neat to be able to run with some OT qualifiers!

Yes! I loved the event and was so thankful that Blue Sky Endurance put it together. I had no clue that Cole was from Charleston, either. So neat that we have homegrown professional runners ;).

6. Those temperatures sound awful. Feels like 99?! On track night?! That is insane. Also that track workout sounds like a beast. I have a mile race coming up and I need to work on some shorter interval stuff like 200s to get ready for it.

We have a one mile race here in August, and I think I will run it! I am going to work on shorter stuff for awhile this summer too. It’s so hot that at least short and fast is easier than doing very long runs or tempo runs.

7. Solid week of training chica. Way to get brave the heat and get all of your running outdoors this week! Thank you for staying with me on Sunday. I’m glad I was able to make it the full 8!
    🙂

I’m glad you were too- but I knew you could! Of course with the out and back route, once you get so far into it, you kinda have to run 8 ;).

Hope to run with you again tomorrow night at track!

8. ksquared says:

I can’t believe it was 99 when you did that track workout. That makes it infinitely more crazy! I’m so impressed you finished it!!

It looks like living in the South fosters a comfort for running without a shirt. I’ve never done it because I feel like my abs aren’t good enough, but I bet I’d feel differently if I ran in that kind of weather all the time. I just got a new cropped bra-top type singlet for my running team so I’ll have to learn to suck it up soon. It certainly has motivated me to be better about my core work!

I’ve never run without a shirt either (I took mine off for the picture because I felt peer pressured, then put it back on to run).

When I started running, I lived in an area without many runners in general, so running shirtless was a big no-no. It’s a lot more accepted here in Charleston because more people here run, though.

• ksquared says:

Ahh, peer pressure. Do you think you’d ever give it a try if it got hot enough? I think I’ll only do this team singlet during important hot races (like a 5 miler I’m running on July 30…)

A bunch of us are planning to run shirtless in the last Race the Landing. If I do it, I’m gonna have to try it in training, so…

9. I didn’t know there was a new running/tri store in town. That is cool.

10. It has been starting to get hot here in Pittsburgh (80s) and I can’t imagine running in the heat, especially on a track that reflects the heat. You are tough!! I can’t believe how hot it gets there so early! Crazy. Anyways, congrats on a nice, solid week of training!

11. HoHo Runs says:

“If long runs are church then Saturday’s 12-miler was a fire and brimstone service.” Amen. LOVE THAT! I may have to steal it. I’ve never thought about the track amplifying the heat, but I bet it does. Congrats on a strong week in strong heat. Thanks for linking with us Amy.

12. Ha I loved your phrase “If long runs are church, then the 12 miler was a fire and brimstone service” 🙂
    I often feel like I’m running in Hell with these temps! Freeze pops at the end of any run is just the very best in my opinion!! Great week Amy and thanks for linking up!