It Takes a Village

As many of you know, I work from home as a technical writer for a computer software company.

Working from home is everyone’s dream. I can generally wear whatever I want- khaki shorts and a race t-shirt are my “uniform”. Without a commute, I have more hours in my day, and if I go to the fridge and find my lunch has been eaten, I immediately know the culprit (I’m kidding, Clay doesn’t do that).

But working at home has some downsides, too. It can be incredibly lonely, so I leave my home every day and go somewhere. I don’t count solo runs from the house, but I do count trips to the grocery store, coffee shop, group runs, or gym fitness classes- basically, anything where I interact with others. Working from home also means I have a social awkwardness equal to a homeschooled kid.

10846399_737811279627883_8802679589682882378_n

When you work from home, you become responsible for your own motivation and your office, including cleaning your office, troubleshooting computer/printer issues, and moving the furniture.

Last weekend, I bought a new desk off of a Facebook swap group. After talking to some friends and scheduling, my friend Ed came over with his pickup truck to move the desk from the seller’s house to ours. That evening, Clay and some friends had to move the desk up our cornered staircase to my second floor office.

IMG_20160610_204429

It takes a village to buy new office furniture. We had 4 guys working to maneuver it up our stairs when the desk leg went through the wall by the staircase.

IMG_20160610_212811

We brought the desk downstairs and waited on another friend, who figured out that the top screwed off- making transporting the desk upstairs much easier. Clay got the top of the desk screwed back on the next day, and I set up my home office.

With the hole in the wall, maybe the desk wasn’t such a great deal after all, but I love the new office set up- and it’s much better than my old particle board desk from Target. Moving desks and furniture when I worked in the corporate office was never this crazy, but I have a lot more space now. We won’t move the desk again; if we ever sell the house, it might be an added bonus to the buyer.

IMG_20160616_162830

Most of all, I’m grateful to have friends and a community here who I can call on when I need help. Not just help moving furniture, but also for advice, a rejuvenating group run, or a lunch date. I recently celebrated four years of living in Charleston, and as someone who was once a “newbie” in a city where a lot of people move, I’m glad to call my wonderful city and community home.

This entry was posted in Friends, Technical Writing, Work, Working from Home. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to It Takes a Village

1. Awww, this post was really sweet! How awesome that you have friends in your community who are willing to help you out. It’s interesting that people always thinking working from home is a dream come true, but it has its pros and cons like any other job.

I love the new desk. It looks so sturdy and solid. Sorry about the hole in the staircase, though!

It was amazing how many people offered to help with the pickup truck and moving it up the stairs. Clay has a CR-V but this desk is huge and we didn’t think it would fit (it wouldn’t). It’s an old school teacher’s desk so it’s definitely sturdy and solid!

2. Your poor wall 😦

I work from home once a week and can completely relate to the feeling that you just need to get out of the house for a while. I can’t imagine working from home every single day. That must be tough.

It’s not tough, but like everything, it required adjustment 4 years ago when I started working from home. I should probably blog about ways for extroverts to stay sane while working from home. That post might be a hit…

3. Your new set up looks awesome! I’m a CPA and I have a home set up as well, but I unfortunately don’t really use it very much, because like you’re saying, it can be difficult. My work can easily be done from home, but it’s so much harder for me to foucs. Now I just have a really fancy blogging area 🙂

I think having this set up makes it easier. I’ve always had a dedicated ROOM for a home office- in fact when we moved into our first Charleston apartment and our home, that was one of the top things on my list.

Having a room specifically for it, and doing all my work there, then closing that room off when I’m not at work, has really been a key to staying focused.

4. I’m the luckier owner of even worse social awkwardness because not only do I work from home, but I am surrounded by screaming and dirty diapers. When I DO come across an adult, I talk their ear off and it’s never appropriate timing or subject material. SIGH. I get holes in the walls too, but not from furniture—from TODDLERS AND TEENAGERS. Sucks. I’m glad you got your office all set up nicely though. I love that feeling!

It is a nice office! Even if you’re an awkward adult, you still come across pretty cool to me and you’re a runner, so that’s automatically extra cool points for you :).

5. I loved this little insight into your non-running life. I knew that you worked from home as a tech writer, but it’s cool to catch a glimpse into your world. It sounds like you have an amazing community of friends and runners there, and I’m guessing that you are one of the people keeping that community strong. You seem really outgoing, despite what you said about being awkward! 🙂

6. Hollie says:

This is interesting because I never thought about it like that. I do some work from home as well and on days that I do and my husband is away it does get lonely. I’m the same way and must leave my house once a day (at least).

Leaving the house really helps. That’s why I do so many races and group runs, for the socialization aspect of it. I don’t really have many neighbors that I connect with (we live in suburbia and are child-free, so…).

7. Liz says:

Oh wow, that wall! I saw that picture of the staircase and thought about how hard that would be to maneuver around! I actually think that all the time when looking at houses! My parent’s have a bend in their staircase and even that can be a real pain to get furniture around! I used to try to get out of the house once a day too, but now that I have a baby, I feel like some days it’s just easier to stay at home! But I still get out pretty often, so I’m not doing too bad! I definitely agree that for working from home, it still seems like you have a pretty busy life getting out and about!

I’m honestly surprised we didn’t have this happen when we moved in initially because we have some pretty big furniture up here! It was not something I thought about when we bought this house. We don’t plan to move but I’ll say that after buying a home and living here for 3 years, if I bought another house I’d consider a lot of different things when buying again.

For someone who recently had a baby, you do get out a lot! I know it’s good for your sanity and for Jon and Jackson too!

• Liz says:

Oh yes, getting out of the house is definitely a must! I told Jon that I didn’t want to buy a house before a kid because I had a feeling we would decide we did or didn’t want certain things that we may not think of now. Buying the first house definitely lets you know what you need in the second house though!!

8. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Love your home office set up! It makes such a difference when working from home. Working from home does get lonely, but it’s so nice in other ways (I always got so distracted in office settings!).
    Stinks about the wall though! Charlie once managed to put a hole in the wall of our last apartment with his crate…still no idea how he did that, except it was an older place so maybe the walls were weak.

I also got MORE distracted in the office because I had people there to distract me. I had people to talk to and I wanted to talk, haha. I loved walking up and down the aisles at work and bouncing around and I do miss that. I get more done at home because I’m by myself so I just… work. Heads down and crank out the writing.

9. Angela says:

I love all of your race awards in the background! The desk looks nice and I am glad you had a whole team of friends to help you move it. The hole in the wall is unfortunate though, but I’m sure you can fix it. This story reminded me of when Phil and I moved into our bungalow style house that was built in the 1930s. If we ever move all of our bedroom furniture will be staying with the house! We have a tiny staircase leading up to our A frame bedroom and the furniture was too large to fit up the the stairs. It had to be moved into the bedroom through a large window above our deck. It was dangerous and took many many people to accomplish this task.

We’ve already bought the stuff to fix the hole, and it didn’t cost too much. Clay says he knows how to fix it, at least.

I think if I had to move this desk in through a window, I would have just re-sold it on Facebook instead of even moving it up here. I questioned whether it was worth all the trouble but it is a great desk and I’m glad to have room for everything! My last desk didn’t have room for my laptop, dual monitors, pencils, planner, phone, etc.

10. That wall….I know what you mean about never moving certain furniture pieces again. We have a ridiculius couch like that!!! I dream of working from my home gym one day…I think I would join a book club or volunteer on the weekly basis to stay connected with the humans. Or not at all. Humans can be crazy. I speak from working full-time in the pharmacy!!! 🙂 sounds like you have the sweetest home and friends.

11. Sarah says:

“Working from home also means I have a social awkwardness equal to a homeschooled kid.” HAHA best sentence ever. Love your little “office space” super cute and uber helpful to have windows right there. I get you on working from home having pros and cons and the not really having social interaction piece. I am taking more online classes and also changed jobs to be in a lab versus working in a coffee shop to I went from interacting with probably 100-300 people a day to about 10-30… it’s been, well, a change. So nice to hear that you are loving your home and community, that’s really what counts at the end of the day 🙂