Weekly Rundown: June 13-19

Summer is in full swing here in Charleston. The heat is on, along with the struggle shuffle that we call running in the months of June-August.

I was lucky that the heat spared my runs this week and none were really unbearable; in fact, Monday evening, Thursday morning, and Saturday morning really weren’t bad at all. I didn’t race this week because I need a mental break, but I’ll admit the hottest weather of the week inconveniently occurred on Thursday for those running the Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K.

Monday 45 minutes strength + 7.5 miles (bridge)
Tuesday 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Wednesday 7.1 miles easy
Thursday 10.1 miles
Friday 8 miles (treadmill tempo)
Saturday 5 miles
Sunday No workout
Total 45.7 miles + 45 minutes strength

Early in the week, I decided not to run Thursday night’s Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K. I’ve run a lot of races already this summer- and this month- so I’m limiting myself over the net few hot weeks. I run races for a hard effort workout and to socialize, and I still wanted to socialize- so I volunteered by signing up race-day registrants and handing out finisher’s medals.

It was my first time volunteering for a race in several months, and I was sweaty and tired that night, but it’s pretty rewarding to give back to the sport that’s given me so much. The race itself was extremely hot but all the runners stayed safe. A lot of my friends placed, and we had a post-race after party at Agave’s Cantina. Not the best restaurant, food, or service, but I had good company with friends.

IMG_20160616_201850

As far as my own workouts went, both of my quality days were on the treadmill. We cancelled Wednesday night track due to a big group run in Summerville, and the track is a 25 minute drive from my home. On Tuesday, I ran short treadmill intervals (4 minutes hard, 1 minute easy), and on Friday, I ran a 6 mile tempo run at current half marathon pace.

Friday’s tempo run was super difficult and I found myself dreading it on my drive to Planet Fitness, which is usually a sign that it’s a workout I need. Sure, it wasn’t the same as an outdoor tempo run, but it’s much safer with no extreme heat or cars. I also found a new trashy court TV/judge show I like.

I crammed 40 miles of running in Monday-Friday because I thought Clay and I would be going out of town to see family, but we ended up staying in Charleston. Since we stayed in town, I went to Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant’s Saturday morning group run. The weather was a bit cooler and nice, and Chris from Fleet Feet was at the base of the Cooper River Bridge handling out water and nuun to runners and walkers. I ran with Cindy and Baxley, and we ran part of the bridge.

13393983_10153457811515194_9160492281582928485_n

After the run, I stuck around for the Bras, Bubbly, and Brunch event at Fleet Feet- where they did sports bra trivia, fittings, giveaways, brunch, and wine. We had tasty foods from Whole Foods and Nothing Bundt Cakes, and the wine pairings were based on control, secure, and stabilize since that’s what sports bras do.

You could tell the ladies of Fleet Feet put a lot of thought into the little things, and that’s what made it such a great event.

IMG_20160618_085730

IMG_20160618_090302

Net week, the plan is more of the same- no racing, some track intervals, a few group runs, and just trying to stay cool and consistent with summer training.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Daniel Island, Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K, Fleet Feet Mount Pleasant, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Weekly Rundown: June 13-19

1. Pam says:

You had a great week Amy and how nice that you volunteered at the local race. Your Fleet Feet really puts on a spread, that food looks fabulous. Summer racing is really draining even if you just run with hard effort. I haven’t raced in several months and don’t know if I will do anything before my August race in Maine.

Thanks Pam! Are you doing the Blueberry Cove Half Marathon in Maine? Just curious because my friend signed up for that one!

Also it’s hard to find races in the summer too… even 5Ks are hard to find on Saturday mornings around here!

2. Great week. And I LOVE that you have the self-awareness of knowing when you need a break from racing. This is a great time for it, too, as it’s really heating up now. The fact that you volunteered instead of racing is also great because you still get the social/community aspect!

3. I love that you said that it’s usually the runs that we dread that end up being the ones we needed the most! SO TRUE.

Pretty much! It was my first long tempo in awhile- nice to remind my legs what it feels like to run fast (err, something like that) for more than 22 minutes!

4. laurenweiner says:

I love that you volunteer for races. I really admire that about you and every time you talk about it, it reminds me that I’d really like to do that as well.

I’m with you on the treadmill running. I’m a ginormous wuss when it comes to running in the heat (much more so than the average runner). I would rather be safe than to just tough it out in the heat. And nothing beats trash TV while on the treadmill! When I binged watched Dexter on Netflix, I only allowed myself to watch it while I was on the treadmill…..needless to say I worked out a lot…

I only watch trashy shows on the treadmill, too. In the afternoons, King of the Hill and Cleveland Show come on at like 5:30, and I will only watch them on the treadmill. It’s kind of a nice little motivation to get to the treadmill.

You should volunteer for a race- it is surprisingly fun, and you get to know a lot of runners that way. I volunteer a couple times a year. If I don’t run the other Happy Hour 5Ks, I plan to volunteer for those.

5. Melissa Cunningham says:

Thank you so much for volunteering at the race ( and holding my shirt for me!)
    You were smart not to run/race not only from a mental standpoint but honestly, It was really hot for racing conditions ( and it totally sucked running in that weather. You were the smart one, my friend!!! The positive side to the Daniel island race series is the socialization. Even though you didn’t race I’m glad you got to mingle with all the runners and still be a part of the race experience. (And you had another solid week of summer training. You rock).
    🙂

Thanks! I don’t mind holding and taking care of stuff while you guys run- I had a few people’s keys too (good thing I have a newer car than last year or I may have been tempted to take off!).

The summer racing will make us stronger for the Fall, but I don’t want to over-race or get burnt out or injured. The physical side of it is one thing, but it’s also very mentally taxing to race week after week.

6. Volunteering is a great way to still participate in the social aspect of the race but save your legs too!
    What a neat event at Fleet Feet! Wow those foods look so pretty!
    Thanks for your support Amy!

7. Very solid week of running and definitely smart to take a (mental and physical) break from racing. I know I am always so happy not to be running if I ever go to watch a race, which is so funny, because it is the exact opposite of how I think I would feel. Sometimes I get jealous just seeing other people out running while I am driving on my way to work 🙂

8. HoHo Runs says:

I’m always very impressed with your weekly mileage. Volunteering is a great way to stay involved with the sport. Those evening summer races have got to be sweltering! The Fleet Feet brunch sounds like a fun time. Cute name too. Someone put a lot of thought into hosting an event showcasing sports bras. Thanks for linking with us Amy!

9. I think it’s just awesome that you volunteer at races! It must be very rewarding to give back. Also, way to go on taking a break. Sometimes you just need it!