Weekly Rundown: June 6-12

Happy Monday everyone! After Sunday’s rest day, I was excited to kick off a week of training.

Lately, I’ve realized that training is like chess, and you have to think several moves ahead to be successful. Throwing in that additional workout or adding a few miles to a run might feel good now, but it impacts the workouts and races later in your training. If the “extra” keeps me from performing my best when it counts, it’s not worth it.

Since I didn’t do a long run last Sunday, I had plenty of time to evaluate my training and racing plans for the summer. The unplanned rest day was well worth it, both mentally and physically. I slept MUCH more this week. Last week, I hardly slept for more than 3 hours at a time, and my appetite was off/not hungry.

Sleep, better fueling, recovery, and a sports massage made this week of training much more enjoyable.

Monday 7.1 miles (Cooper River Bridge)
Tuesday 55 minutes spin + 5 miles
Wednesday 5.2 miles (Track)
Thursday 7.1 miles including Race the Landing 5K #4 (21:55)
Friday No workout.
Saturday 12.25 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 44.7 miles + 55 minutes spin

I kicked off the week with a few miles on the Cooper River Bridge. I did my usual run from Whole Foods, over the bridge and back, and the weather wasn’t too humid. We had a few drops of rain, but nothing major. The tropical storm certainly spared us.

After a great run, I had an even better mail day, as I received my shirts from the Fitness World Gyms April (Beast Mode) challenge and May (Streak) challenge. I’m not streaking anymore, but I guess I can officially say I’ve been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.

IMG_20160608_163045

On Tuesday morning, I tried a spin class my gym, and I really didn’t enjoy it. Pivotal is far from the best, and the staff isn’t very excited. They don’t really greet you or make you feel welcome when you’re new in a class, which was kind of a turn off to me. The best part of class was the playlist because I got some good ideas for my running playlist.

I did go for a run after spin, and my legs were warmed up and ready to go! I see how some triathletes do well in the last 5K of a sprint triathlon.

Wednesday night was track night. I ran 8 x 400m and then one mile where I ran fast on the straight parts of the track and recovered on the curves. We had a smaller than usual crowd, but it was great to see everyone who could make it, and we always miss people when they can’t come.

13412955_859058688173_4405219150197506334_n

On Thursday, I ran the 4th Race the Landing 5K and had a *much* better race than last weekend’s Floppin’ Flounder. I didn’t start the race too fast, and my second and third mile were only mildly slower than the first one. I had a strategy going into the race and stuck with it, and finishing in under 22 minutes was icing on the cake!

IMG_20160609_204551

On Saturday, I ran 7 miles (over the Cooper River Bridge and back) before meeting with the Fleet Fleet Mount Pleasant Saturday run club to run 5 miles around Patriot’s Point and the trails. The trails are shaded so it was a nice break from the heat. I really like the Saturday morning runs with Fleet Feet because of the late start time (7:45). I am so not an early morning runner.

13427872_611680465663027_7188238385615496884_n

On Saturday night, I went to Keri’s house for a cookout with Summerville Tri Club. We had 46 people total and tons of delicious meats, veggies, fruit, sides, desserts, and drinks. Keri really outdid herself on the party preparations, especially the cupcakes. Her cupcakes are famous in the Summerville triathlete and running circle- and we had chocolate, lemon, and coconut flavors!

IMG_20160611_180805

Everyone ran or biked that morning, so we came hungry and ready to party into the night, and we did. I love getting together with everyone off the track or outside of races.

13418841_10154188518429098_8822374913853620072_n

On Sunday, I ran an easy 8 miles around downtown Charleston a bit later in the morning. A few new people came out to run the park, so I ran with them so they’d know the route, and we talked about Charleston, running, yoga, and other fun things.

After the run, I came home and showered, then Clay and I tried a new-to-us place for brunch, The Junction Kitchen and Provisions in North Charleston.

The food tasted great- I had the energy salad with salmon, quinoa, kale, red peppers, avocado, and almonds, along with a really tasty sweet balsamic. Clay had the chicken and waffles special, which was pecan-encrusted chicken and waffles that were lightly sweet even without a ton of syrup.

IMG_20160612_124439

IMG_20160612_124447

The service was good, but his chicken and waffles were super small- almost like a child’s portion, as the garnish was bigger than the dish (he didn’t even get a whole waffle). If we go back, we won’t get the chicken and waffles. It was fun venturing to a different area of town for brunch, though.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Fitness World Run Club, North Charleston, Race the Landing, Summerville, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekly Rundown: June 6-12

1. My BF lives in SC and next time I visit I want to check out the Cooper river bridge! I hear the race they do there is amazing.
    Great job on your workouts this week

Well, SC is a big place but if he’s near Charleston you should definitely run the bridge.

The Bridge Run race is congested and overpriced. I’d suggest the Charleston Marathon/Half/5K or James Island Connector Run instead, if you’re going to travel to Charleston for a race.

You can run the bridge for free anytime, so just run it on your own while you’re here for another race :).

2. I hate you didn’t like the spin class. It’s a shame you could not be welcomed more. Which reminds me I really need to get a spin class back in my schedule.
    Holy Cow those cupcakes look wonderful! I wanted to thank you Amy, for the response last week on your thoughts about streaking. I do appreciate it !

I wasn’t too surprised at the spin class. The gym I go to is just depressing- they don’t have a sub list (they just cancel), it’s not clean, and the prices keep increasing. I like Planet Fitness much better but Clay and I have this joint membership at Pivotal since they have so many squat racks for him.

3. Crappy about the spinning class but I love it when I get new ideas for running playlists! And great job on the sub-22 min 5K! WOOHOO!

Thanks girly! I was glad to break 22 in this heat and after a fairly hard week of workouts. I’m hoping to be back in the 20s when the temps cool down in September and eventually the 19s!

4. Pam says:

Those cupcakes….the chocolate ones look so yummy! Great job on your 5k, you seem to have really refined your approach to running and continue to meet/exceed your goals. Your brunch food looks amazing and it seems you are always at new places.

New places are constantly opening here; I have a long list of places to try- and it just keeps growing. We were very disappointed in his (lack of) chicken and waffles, though. My salad was pretty big.

I was pretty stoked to have a good race, hopefully the tides are turning in my training!

5. I love your chess analogy! And it’s so true- keeping the big picture in mind is more important than focusing on any one workout or any one day. Your salad looks delicious– you always post great food pics. 🙂

6. Amy, I love your comment about training and chess. Brilliant analogy! Totally going to borrow that if you don’t mind. You seem to have such a smart approach to training – I always enjoy reading your posts.

You can totally borrow it. As always, I’m not a coach or certified in anything, so advice is dispensed freely with zero guarantees of success :).

Really, I had a boss in college who used the chess analogy in how he approached a lot of things, and he told me about it. I’ve used that approach quite often in life since college and one of the more important things I learned outside of class.

7. You had an amazing week. I am always amazed by how much you get done.
    Those cupcakes look amazing – I would have gone for a lemon one.

I ate an entire chocolate one and half of a lemon one. Pretty much everyone at that cookout either rode 50 miles that morning or ran a double-digit long run, so we demolished the food.

8. HoHo Runs says:

Great analogy with chess! You do have to think ahead about your moves. I’ve been to one spin class in my life and was not impressed. It didn’t help that we were kicked off the bikes when the people who had them “reserved” showed up 10 minutes late. Congrats on your 5k time and pacing effort. The Tri Club party looks fun. And the cupcakes? Yummy! Thanks for linking with us Amy!

I’ve been to a few spin classes that I liked, but the instructor and atmosphere has a lot to do with it. I tolerated it pretty well when I was injured and went 3x a week. I didn’t go back to this class this week, though…

I’m really glad we don’t have to reserve bikes or benches (for bodypump) at my gym at least. I guess that’s one positive about it.

9. I think spin classes, like most fitness classes depend on the instructor. When I was in college there was a Y less than five minutes from campus. I loved one of the spin instructors there and I almost never missed a class. I tried spin again at our local Y and I couldn’t get into it like I did years ago. I can accomplish the same thing on my indoor bike trainer at home. Way to go on your 5K and sub 22! Your weekly mileage is incredible!

10. I’m so glad you were able to sleep better and get a few steps ahead in evaluating your training and racing. Planning ahead and evaluating always helps me feel calm!

Keri’s cupcakes look AMAZING. They seriously look like they’re from a bakery! Your brunch looks great. Such a bummer they gave you small portions, though. That is always frustrating!

Awesome job on your 5k! I cannot wait to read the recap!

11. Farrah says:

I need that energy salad in my life! It looks so good! :]! (+ yay for chicken and waffles!)