Weekly Rundown: May 30-June 5

With the Memorial Day holiday on Monday, this felt like the longest short week ever.

The hot weather finally showed up, which made it seem even longer and made all of my runs longer due to a slower pace. I’m acclimating to the heat, not shooting for any PRs, and just want to run consistently through the summer.

Monday 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Tuesday 6.2 miles
Wednesday 45 minutes strength + 4.2 miles
Thursday 7.1 miles, including Race the Landing #3 (22:34)
Friday 2 miles
Saturday 7.1 miles, including Floppin Flounder 5K (22:11)
Sunday Rest Day
Total 34.6 miles + 45 minutes strength training

With two races this week, I ran some treadmill intervals on Monday and opted to skip speedwork at the track on Wednesday night. Almost everyone had conflicts this week, so I ended up cancelling track anyway.

Tuesday and Wednesday were fairly easy runs, because I didn’t want to push the pace before Race the Landing and Floppin Flounder. Even though Wednesday was Global Running Day, I skipped the large group runs because I really didn’t feel like running with 200+ people and fighting for parking spots. I love the group runs, but at a certain point, it’s just easier to run on my own.

1934390_1153527224698324_5082901322925421314_n

Besides, as much fun as Global Running Day is, we’re runners *every* day. Even on rest days, you’re still a runner and probably doing other things that benefit your running. It’s a lifestyle and a mindset.

Thursday night was Race the Landing #3 and our first official HOT race. It was 82 degrees, 79% humidity, and “felt like” 89. I know that is not too hot and it will get worse, but after a mild May, I’m not used to the heat yet. My legs were feeling all the squats and deadlifts from Wednesday, and my body is feeling this run streak I’ve been on since May 1. I ran my slowest 5K in a very long time.

13321736_10207827915233369_4031982498759026582_n

My goal was not to go out too fast, and I didn’t go out too fast. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the energy to increase my speed in the last mile like I wanted to. I placed in my age group so I’ll get some Charleston Running Club grand prix points out of it, at least. We also had one of the best post-race meals so far.

IMG_20160602_204301

On Saturday, I ran the Floppin Flounder 5K, which was my worst race since the one 36 hours before. I started too quickly and died in the last mile, getting mentally discouraged when people passed me. I ran a 22:11 but at least I survived to tell about it.

13346438_10206727201283057_7472680568703952423_n

On Sunday, I woke up intending to run, but when I saw the rain outside, I took a rest day. With my string of crappy 5Ks, coupled with sleeping issues this week and the stomach issues I had last Sunday, it’s time for a break. I was in a streak challenge with Fitness World Run Club, and June 4 was the official last day of the challenge. I didn’t meet my mileage goals for the week, but after FLOPpin Flounder, I had no problem calling it a week. Sunday was perfect for resting!

The best thing about a rest day: Catching up on blogging. I’ll recap both races and the streak challenge in later posts.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: May 30-June 5

1. Pam says:

Rest and recovery days are just as important as the hard training days. After two 5k’s in heat and humidity, you were smart to take a much needed rest day. Congrats on a few more age group awards….I think you probably need an addition to your house for all those prizes you win! The summer heat is here as well and unless I get out before the sun comes up, it isn’t very pleasant running conditions.

Thanks Pam. I don’t think streaks are inherently bad, but it’s just not for me- especially because I run workouts and race. I actually had a great run this morning and I think resting yesterday had a lot to do with it. This week is all about bringing balance back to my training!

As far as the prizes go, I’ve figured out how to “hack” the awards so they take up less space. Like taking the animal figurines off the platforms and gluing them to a single one, or taking the logo off the trophy, etc. I really like receiving the medals just because they are small and compact and I can put them on the Christmas tree.

2. Martha says:

Love your Blog Amy!

3. Theresa says:

You are braver than I am. I just don’t race in the summer because my times are so slow!

My times aren’t that fast when it’s not summer, but they’re slower than usual right now!

I believe I would still be running sub-22 5Ks if I had not streaked. I think I lost fitness during the 30 days.

4. Congrats on the age group placement! I have what feels like zero heat acclimation at this point, and you are rocking it!

Thank you! I am trying, I don’t think I’ll really rock it at a race until say, September or close to that. We do have a late August 5K here which is known as the race where you see who has trained through the summer and who hasn’t…

5. So you do have a grand prix type thing! Which is kind of like runner rankings, is it not? Anyway, that is really hot racing weather. Congrats on getting it done and getting the AG award!

Well, the grand prix is for the Charleston Running Club members who’ve signed up. It’s far from a ranking although you earn points from participating in races and placing in them. It’s weird because CRC has a ton of members but only 40-50 total signed up for the Grand Prix and a lot of people don’t even know about it. I told a friend about it on Saturday. It’s retroactive so turns out, she had a lot of points already before signing up officially.

6. Melissa Cunningham says:

Girl, this heat and humidity ain’t no joke!! Don’t ever feel bad about race times during the summer, especially charleston summers
    🙂
    This will make you feel better
    Glad you finally took a rest day. It was well deserved!

I tried to use the calculator but I have no clue what I’d run in 60 degree temps… seems like we jumped from the chilly days like Green and Lean right into the hotter weather!

I’m honestly not feeling bad about the times so much as I am the effort at Floppin. I really flopped in that last mile. I started out too fast, but I think the cumulative fatigue of that streak was crossing the line and my legs just couldn’t go in the end of races.

Yesterday was one glorious rest day. I’ve felt so lazy the last two days…

7. Two 5ks in a week? I have run one 5k in my whole LIFE!!! lol. Much props to running through the heat. I have been running before work so it has been okay, just humid, but now that school is officially out I doubt I will be on the roads in the 5am hour anymore!!

We have a lot of 5ks here and I run them as workouts (or race them, in better conditions of course). The heat and humidity are pretty hardcore here; it’s warm year round but humid for the entire summer.

8. Farrah says:

Great job on your workouts this week! I feel like that cat right now. Do I want to walk a couple miles to get some shaved ice and a poke bowl? (It’ll be worth it, but I detoured home first to grab water, haha.) Humidity is not fun! 😛

I’m glad you finally got to take a rest day! I use those to catch up on blogging too! :]

I’m just glad the run streaking is over. Good luck to anyone doing the Runner’s World streak. I hope other people are better run streakers than I was… although I ran each day for 30 days, I feel like I lost fitness during it and did more damage than good to my race times.

9. I feel like it always takes me a while for my body to get accustomed to the heat once the season changes, and it usually changes abruptly. And then once my body settles into it, then it turns back to rain. HA! So true though. You had a great week of running last week and I’m glad you were able to rest on Sunday.

10. I look forward to reading your race recaps! It definitely takes a little bit to get used to the heat and humidity. The work you put in over the summer will pay off in the fall though!

Thank you! It is frustrating because I was doing really well this Spring- I set a new 10K PR and a 5K PR, and then I won a 5K race in the beginning of May. That run streak and then the heat have really set me back, but I know the speed will return this Fall.

11. HoHo Runs says:

This heat is really something else! I applaude you for running the 5ks. I couldn’t do it right now. Congrats on the age placement too! Thanks for linking with us Amy.

12. I read one of your replies where you said you think you would be faster had you not streaked. I’m curious about this. I’m doing the summer streak course lets put this in context, my times are no where near yours and never will be but, I wondered why you think that? The runstreak for me is making me get my heart rate up for at the very least 10 minutes a day. Now more times than not I”m doing more than 1 mile but it gets me up and out there. 🙂

I don’t necessarily think the streak itself was causing my poor races, but rather my body was not recovering from the runs.

My “rest day” streak runs were short, like 2 miles, and they were easy (like, 9:30 pace, which is 2 minutes slower than my half marathon pace and at the lower end of my easy range). But… I also race a lot and do speed workouts each week.

Obviously running 7 days a week works- most elites do. A lot of regular runners do- and I’m sure it took them more than 30 days to figure out how to adapt their training to fit the streak. Some elites don’t, either for recovery reasons or for religious reasons.

For me and my training load (and life circumstances), 6 days a week is plenty :).

13. My times definitely suffer in the hot months. Those are still incredible times for a 5K. I wish I was that speedy! Congrats on your AG awards! I look forward to your recaps.