Global Running Day Interview

June 1 is Global Running Day, so I’m linking up with Kristen at Jonesin’ for a Run and the Global Running Day Q&A Linkup.

NRD Cover

Why do you run?

I ask myself this every day when I leave the house, but especially when it’s hot and humid. Originally I started to run a little in college to combat the “freshman 15”, but fell in love with it after running a 5K my job sponsored (The Polar Bear 5K in Florence, SC, which is no longer held).

After moving to Charleston in 2012, I found a sense of community in the local running crowd. Running gives me a chance to be with others, volunteer, and stay healthy.

1011861_10151894768048583_1954139864_n.jpg

How do you plan to celebrate Global Running Day?

Since it’s a Wednesday, I’ll be running a track workout in Summerville. Beside that, I’ll be working as a technical writer all day because it’s a Wednesday.

IMG_20160101_095252.jpg

How many miles have you run so far this year? Do you have a mileage goal for the year?

According to DailyMile, I’ve run 867 miles this year.

My mileage goal for the year is to run as many miles as I need to run to meet my performance/time goals. I try to keep a 40 mile/week base unless I’m tapering, recovering, or life happens.

What big events do you have on the race calendar so far this year?

I prefer smaller races over big events. This year, I’m running the rest of the Race the Landing 5K series, a few other Summer and Fall 5Ks, and at least one half marathon this Fall. I’m thinking about running the Sweet Tea Half Marathon, a local half marathon in Summerville.

DSCN9017.jpg

Before I leave for a run I must have:

Shoes. I’m not a barefoot runner. Besides that, I’m pretty simple- no other real “must haves” besides shoes and clothes.

Do you track your runs? If so what do you use?

DailyMile, Strava, and this blog. I also use my Lilly Pulitzer planner to write out my training plans each Sunday and stick to those.

12359937_822040767383_2930171809778690055_n.jpg

Who is your favorite running partner?

I could never pick a favorite! I have training partners who push me to run faster as well as those who are talkative and fun for social runs when I need to slow down.

You can’t beat friends who push you to your fastest track repeats or races, but there’s a place for those who help you slow down your easy days so you can recover, too.

12829194_840678152913_3951575049923265382_o.jpg

What races have you run so far this year?

I run a lot of races, so I won’t list them all out here. You can check out my list and recaps on the 2016 Race Schedule page.

My favorite races of 2016 (so far) are the Charleston Half Marathon, Hilton Head Island Half Marathon, and the Run for Brighter Days 10K.

13131541_10207906413037090_2705322346043398212_o.jpg

If you have to give someone one piece of advice about running, what would it be?

Run fast, take chances, and dream big.

A 2:08 half marathon is hard, and so is a 1:38 half marathon.

Also, do whatever you have to to stay injury-free. I don’t know the secret to fast running, but the secret to running faster than last year is consistency and staying injury-free.

Describe your relationship with running in one word

DysFUNctional

DSCN9218.jpg

This entry was posted in Running and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Global Running Day Interview

1. Hollie says:

It was interesting to learn more about you and your running Amy, thanks for sharing and have a great workout!

Thanks Hollie! I saw your post about your mile today- I hope your break is going well and you’re getting rejuvenated for training in the second half of 2016 :).

2. “DysFUNctional…” ha ha ha! Brilliant! Very clever. You run a lot of races! I used to run way more but I just don’t like paying for them and I don’t like recovering from them! I like running too much to take any recovery days off. Ha! Happy running day!! Enjoy that track workout. 🙂

I don’t really spend money on much else, so I don’t mind paying for them really. A lot of the races around here include dinner and a drink, so it’s kind of like my night out with friends and a race thrown in there.

I don’t really ever taper or recover from them either… ;).

3. kstewjones says:

So many miles this year! That is AWESOME! Keep up the good work! Thanks for linking up!

4. Great post. My favorite part about it was that I am now following you on Strava! 🙂 More spoilers for the blog, but that’s okay!

5. wanderwolf says:

Happy running day!

6. Christine says:

DysFUNctional is an amazing (and probably accurate for many people) description. Your mileage so far for the year is impressive! Good job!

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Great advice on running! It’s a tricky balancing between running fast and staying injury-free, but definitely an attainable balance. Happy running day – hope you have a great track workout!

I ended up skipping track because of that balance- I just needed an easy day (which is another hard thing to learn sometimes- when you just need an easy day and need to call it a day). I hope you got a run in today as well.

8. I like this link up you did here. I read another one this morning. This is a fun way of getting to know you and your running better. You certainly pack in the weekly mileage! That is wonderful. I don’t think my body would hold up! Happy Global Running Day!

I’ve been running for quite a few years now, so I think I’ve just adapted to the mileage. I definitely DID NOT start out running 40 miles a week- the jump was pretty rough, too. It’s amazing how different 35 mpw is compared to 40… wow.

9. TriGirl says:

I agree that running is a great way to find friends! I just moved a couple of months ago and finding runners has been so helpful to me for meeting people.

10. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

Wow, I can’t even imagine running 40 miles per week, that’s awesome! I need to look into more small, local races – I usually do a few per year, but it’s nice to have a different racing experience. Hope you had a great Global Running Day!

Two years ago, I couldn’t imagine it either. Now it’s really hard not to run 40 miles a week. Eventually your body adapts and gets used to it, but increasing mileage is a tricky thing.

I love the small local races because I love my group of friends and we all run them together 🙂

11. Loved reading this, Amy! I love how you described your relationship with running, haha. I think it’s awesome, too, that you keep it simple on your runs and don’t need a lot of extra stuff! Simple is the best 🙂

I love my Garmin and my Ipod… but I’ve run without both and been fine with it. When I started running, I didn’t have either. Just me, my running shoes, and the road. Sometimes those are the best runs.

12. Pam says:

Wow, I just realized after reading this post that you run 2,000 miles per year. That is amazing when you consider that you train for half marathons and shorter distance races. Your speed has really improved and yes, running friends are the best, especially during long hard workouts.

13. I like how you don’t have any specific mileage goals for the year but like to keep a base. I think that help prevents burnout!

Thank you! I actually had my highest mileage running month ever in May, with 204 miles. Mainly because I was in a streak challenge with a run group I am in. However, I am ending that challenge next week because I am feeling a little off and don’t want to risk burnout over a few miles.

I’m really not a fan of those challenges to run a specific number of miles. I love running and training, but I don’t think it’s smart to run miles just for miles- and I’ve noticed that with the streak, some of my runs haven’t had much of a purpose.

14. Theresa says: