Weekly Rundown: May 23-29

Hey everyone! I hope you’re having a wonderful Memorial Day. We don’t have any big holiday plans but will grill out if we get a break from Tropical Storm Bonnie. Charleston beaches get crowded, so we prefer to stay close to home.

13237710_10154136235838279_464207569127606913_n

Early in the week, a friend offered me an entry into the Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K on Thursday night. I hadn’t planned to race this week, so I shifted my training around a little at the last minute. It was a “train through” race so no big deal, and I was excited to have something to do on a Thursday night before a holiday weekend.

Monday 45 minutes strength + 7.3 miles
Tuesday 2.25 miles + 20 minutes strength
Wednesday 5.4 miles (track)
Thursday 7.1 including Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K #1 (22:11)
Friday 3.1 miles
Saturday 12.2 miles
Sunday 7 miles
Total 44.4 miles, 65 minutes strength

On Monday night, I ran the bridge with some friends, including one who ran it for the first time. It was a chatty fun run because our Monday night bridge/garage crew is the best. I also ran around a mile before meeting up with everyone.

I took it easy on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, I ran a track workout with our usual crew. Since it’s the end of the school year with lots of awards programs, we had a smaller-than-usual crowd, but everyone who came got a great workout in. Because I had the 5K the next night and didn’t want to run longer intervals, I ran a 400m workout. I ran 5.4 miles total, including 9 x 400m.

Why 9 x 400m instead of 8 or 10? Well… I was caught up in the running moment and completely lost count of my reps! When I got home, showered, ate, and looked at my splits on Strava, I realized I’d run an extra 400m, and that the last 400m was my fastest one yet- kudos to Brian for suggesting we hammer it.

IMG_20160525_180325

IMG_20160525_190722

I went into Thursday night’s 5K with zero expectations, as it was a trail course and I ran a workout the night before. On a trail, you have to race the course and not the clock, and I knew my time would be slower than the roads. I wasn’t trying to set any records and was okay with that.

My race was interesting. I ran a 22:11 and placed second female overall. I raced thinking I was the #5 or #6 female, so I was holding on for an age group pint glass- or so I thought. This was the first time I’ve raced the course, so I didn’t know where I was going, and the course had a lot of turns. The female winner was the 9-year-old girl who I followed because I assumed she knew the course. It was sweet and so cool that a kid won the race.

After the race, I hung out with Melissa, Ashley, and some others at Daniel Island Grille for the after party. We ate, drank, and took goofy pictures.

IMG_20160526_194908

On Saturday, I joined the Fleet Feet Sports Mount Pleasant group for a 5 mile run around Patriot’s Point, then finished up with 7 more miles from the store, which included the Cooper River Bridge. That 7 mile route is one of my favorites, because you begin and end at Fleet Feet and Whole Foods- so perfect for bathrooms, snacks, water, or any running needs you may want to buy.

The group run was great and had a large crowd. We started at around 8 AM- perfect timing for me since I’m not an early riser on Saturday mornings. Everyone stayed together and talked during the group run, and I loved having company for the first half of my long run before hitting the bridge.

Sunday, I ran on the treadmill at Planet Fitness due to Tropical Storm Bonnie. It was the hardest run of the week, both physically and mentally. I had a weird side pain and had to stop the treadmill twice. I got 7 miles in but wouldn’t have been good for any more. I came home and cleaned up, drank a shake, then headed to the mall to do some shopping once the rain cleared up.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Daniel Island, Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K, Trail running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Weekly Rundown: May 23-29

1. Hollie says:

I hope your side pain got better Amy. It sounds like other than that, you had a good week of training. Our beaches get crowded here as well, so I understand your pain.

Thanks Hollie! No pains today when running, thank goodness. I’m not sure what it was- maybe I just ate something that didn’t like me or it was random. We’ll never know, but oh well. Some runs are just like that.

2. HoHo Runs says:

Another strong week for you! Your mileage is always very impressive. Congrats on your 2nd place win in the trail race! It is pretty cool that a 9 year old won. I hope that weird side pain you felt on the TM doesn’t come back. Maybe Tropical Storm Bonnie won’t be too bad today and you can enjoy some grilling. Thanks for linking with us Amy!

Well, hubs has said he plans to grill this afternoon and the food is thawing, so it’s on!

I had a lot of weird pains yesterday and I’m convinced the tropical storm had something to do with it. It’s like if you’ve ever broken a bone, sometimes the bone hurts a little with atmospheric pressure changes? But I have no clue what caused the side/stomach pain- just hope it doesn’t happen today!

3. Great job on that bonus 400m! I love it when that happens. And congratulations on your 5k!!! Woohoo! I hope your side pain goes away with that storm!

Thanks- no more side pain and looks like the storm is gone, although it’s supposed to rain more later this week. That was a weird bonus 400m but I’ll take it!

4. Great job on your wk of workouts. Congrats on placing second female in your 5k! Have a great Memorial Day!

5. Christine says:

I love the 7-mile Fleet Feet/Bridge Run route, too. It’s a good one. I need to do it more often. The DI 5Ks sound really fun and hopefully Sunday I’ll be able to run one. It’s much closer to me than the Race the Landing series and I love a good trail run. Congrats on 2nd as well!

Thanks, yeah you should come out for one of the Daniel Island races. I think you would enjoy it a lot. There are 3 more 5Ks left, and none of them conflict with Race the Landing’s.

I’m not a fan of trails, but one thing I do like about the Daniel Island series vs. Race the Landing is that there is only one 5K per month. I like how you get a 4 week “break” from the course :).

6. Pam says:

Looks like you had a great week of running except the treadmill run at the gym. I’ve never experienced side pain on the treadmill, but I do think you don’t run exactly the way you would on pavement. It is not my favorite either. Congrats on your 2nd place finish at the trail race and yes, how fun for that little 9 year old to win overall female. That’s amazing.

I don’t think this pain was related to the treadmill. I run on the treadmill often, but Sunday was the only time I’ve ever had to stop it with just a few minutes left in the workout/run. Heck, usually I speed up because I’m ready to be done! I’m not sure if I ate something that just didn’t jive with my digestive system or if it was a freak thing. It didn’t happen yesterday, at least.

That was one fast little girl. I’m honestly surprised she didn’t break 22, because she was close. I love to see the kids out running, and I bet winning overall was probably one of the biggest moments of her life so far :).

7. Congrats on a fantastic week and your spontaneous race! And kudos for you for toughing it out on the dreadmill during that storm. I wonder if the side stitch was because of how you were running on the TM, or simply coincidental. In any event, Happy Memorial day!

8. Wow, another awesome week of training.
    How crazy that a 9 year old girl won, she must be one fast kid. I am amazed by some of the youngsters at these 5Ks. See you on Thursday at Race the Landing.

I believe she ran a 22:03.

It amazes me too- it varies so much between ages and even at the same age. When I used to coach we had such a wide range of abilities, and when they’re really young, it’s not even all physical ability… just the mental capacity to concentrate on running that fast for 3.1 miles or 22 minutes is really impressive. Honestly, more impressive than the physical nature of the race.

9. It looks like you had another great week of running. Your weekly mileage is always impressive! Congrats on your 5K and placing 2nd overall female! So cool that a 9 year old won overall!

10. I hope the storm went away for you guys and didn’t leave any damage! It’s always tough when it storms over a holiday weekend.

Your milage is amazing, as usual. Congrats on that 5k, also as usual 🙂

We didn’t have any damage, but it was just rain and a little wind for us. One neighborhood flooded, but that neighborhood always floods. Our home is inland a bit, so typically when Charleston experiences flooding, we are safe from that as well.