Weekly Rundown: May 16-22

This week was another nice week in Charleston before we’re smacked with the heat and humidity, so I made the most of it. I ran a lot (no shocker), but I also spent a lot of time outside and with friends. May really is one of my favorite months of the year.

Monday 45 minutes weights + 6 miles (garages)
Tuesday 7.1 miles
Wednesday 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Thursday 4.1 miles
Friday 8 miles
Saturday 7 miles
Sunday 10 miles
Total 50.2 miles + 45 minutes strength

Monday kicked off with my usual hill workout, and we had a few newcomers run garages with us. I run a parking garage workout with some friends every other Monday, and we run in six different Downtown Charleston garages. The route totals close to six miles and is a killer workout, but the views from the garages make it worth it. The smells from the garages are pretty awesome too- one garage smells like Hyman’s Seafood and another smells like Cumberland Street Smokehouse.

12208654_10206530805500348_1587339037674466206_n_thumb.jpg

On Tuesday, I ended up running in the rain. It was sprinkling a little when I left home, but that felt good on a warm day. About five miles into my run, it started pouring. I ended up with a negative split run because I wanted to get home and dry off.

Wednesday was actually a nice day, but I skipped the Fleet Feet Summerville group run to get a workout in on the treadmill (4 minutes hard, 1 minute recovery). I have no doubt that the group run was fun, as it involved selfies and Twinkies, but the three mile run would’ve been a 40 minute drive thanks to a wreck outside my subdivision. Clay ended up skipping one of his MMA/BJJ classes, so we had a quiet night in and watched a movie.

Since I ran intervals on Wednesday, Thursday was a glorified easy day, and I ran with the Charleston Beer Runners. We ran from Hampton Park to the Joe Riley Stadium to watch the Charleston Riverdogs game. The weather was iffy, but it turned into a beautiful night for a run and baseball- the temperatures were cool and it didn’t rain a drop!

13240621_10153493872716456_3641082891671928437_n

One of the group’s sponsors, First Command Financial Services, rolled out the red carpet for Charleston Beer Runners. Not only did we get free tickets to the game, but we also got free food and beer in a private area of the stadium. Everyone was really nice and I will run with the group again on the Thursday nights I don’t have 5Ks.

13254592_10153494139021456_835655549761895601_n

The weather warmed up for the weekend, and the humidity kicked in. I slept in a little on Saturday morning and went for a run just after a rain shower, so holy humidity (72 degrees and 94% humidity). My easy pace felt anything but easy, but it takes time to get used to the heat and humidity. Paces and finish times inevitably slow down, but late August/early September race times don’t lie if you train through the summer.

I did a long run on Saturday for 10 miles, my maintenance long run distance, and it went really well! The humidity was lower (70s) so not too shabby. I joined the group for the run, although I mostly ran alone since my long run pace is slower. I got a few miles in with other people though, and it was good to see Tom, Chris, Larry, and the others even if we had a small crowd.

Here’s to a great week ahead!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Weekly Rundown: May 16-22

1. Hollie says:

Sounds like you were able to get a good week of training in. We’ve actually been having a lot of pouring rain lately so raining is getting harder and harder.

2. Liz says:

94% humidity! Wow! It has been SO nice out in GA lately! Not humid and not too hot! I keep waiting for the heat! That Beer Runners group looks like a lot of fun! And that view from the parking deck looks awesome! I love sunrises! I wish now that I was up so early every morning, I could get out and enjoy it, but it’s hard with a baby since he loves his first nap of the day. But there’s something about crisp mornings! If only I had been a morning person BEFORE having a baby! Haha.

It was sooo nice this morning! I went to the gym but I secretly wished I was running in it because it was cool and no humidity. Saturday was really the only *hot* day we had last week.

The beer runners group is fun. The people are really nice and just like to go out and have fun and don’t take life so seriously :).

3. May is such a great month, isn’t it?! Yay for running really fast in the rain, haha. That’s awesome. I’m glad you had a good week of training!

Haha, I wanted to get home and dry off and get warm, so I think it motivated me. I don’t mind running in the rain really unless it is pouring and sometimes these showers pop up and you get poured on!

4. Christine says:

It seems like every day I ran this week were the days it was disgusting and humid. But overall, the weather this May has been much nicer than last year, and really April and May were nicer than we’ve had in months (and months and months). This morning is gorgeous, but it’s not a run day for me, so I’ll be missing out on the perfect running weather today.

I need a treadmill. I’m jealous of your interval runs on one.

I don’t own a treadmill- I go to Planet Fitness (and highly recommend Planet Fitness, despite its bad reputation it gets online). This morning is gorgeous and I wanted to run, but I strength train instead on Monday mornings.

I don’t think I’ll see perfect running weather again until say, November… but I like it about 45 degrees :).

• Christine says:

My favorite running temps are around 45-50 degrees, too. But today was at least cool by May standards around these parts. I’m thinking of renewing my O2 Fitness membership because of the indoor track and treadmills, plus their assortment of classes (and it’s a 2 minute drive from my house).

If a gym came 2 miles from the house, I would change in a heartbeat (I have two memberships- Planet & Pivotal). That’s even a run-able distance. Run, lift or do a class, then run home.

I have really enjoyed running this May… temperatures haven’t been bad at all. Saturday was a bit warm and we’ve had the occasional humid day but nothing like the 3 month block of 100% humidity that will probably start say, next week… the first Race the Landing almost felt COLD.

5. Your mileage is really starting to creep up, which is awesome. Logging 50+ without any single run being more than 10 shows great consistency. Glad you enjoyed May while it’s here!

Thanks- yeah, it just kinda happened this way. When I figured out I’d be close, I was like hmm, let’s make this a 50 mile week! My legs are feeling it today, though. I’m seeing some very short “streak keeper” runs in my future this week…

6. Pam says:

You had a really strong week of workouts. Running in the rain is never fun, but that is impressive you negative split when it was pouring. The Charleston Beer Runners sound like a really great group and what a perfect night to start with them by running to a stadium and enjoying a ball game!

7. Wow, love that your group got to go to a ballgame and get the VIP treatment! Fun! I am still on the lookout for a group here. Now that my work schedule has shifted significantly, I’m hoping I might find a group that would be more convenient.

Training partners and run groups are the best. I have quite a few friends who I meet up with for runs… I like having people who will push me with pace or distance but I also like having people to run recovery runs or easy days with too.

8. Savannah says:

Seems like a great week! I spent a lot of time running garages when I lived in Indiana, and somewhat miss that being the only “hills” I had to deal with!

We either run garages or Cooper River Bridge on Mondays. No hilly races here really, but I feel like it works out different muscles and helps the flat races seem faster ;).

9. laurenweiner says:

I thought it was April showers, not May showers…. Kudos for taking advantage of the cooler weather before summer sets in!

10. HoHo Runs says:

Garage smells. Hmm…that’s something I’d never think would smell appetizing. You always seem to have such a strong running week. It’s wonderful you have your groups to run with if you choose. It sounds like a fun event at the game with the Charleston Beer Runners. Thanks for linking with us Amy.

11. I have never ever heard of parking garage runs until now, but it makes complete sense! What a cool idea!!!! I’d have a hard time with the food smells, I think. I guess it depends on how hard I was running. Great mileage week, Amy! And the baseball game sounds so fun! Love it.

12. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Great mileage this week! I can’t get over how hot and humid it is where you live – that’s crazy!

It’s really not too bad yet. Saturday was rough because it had just rained and the humidity was high. My run yesterday was 88 degrees and low humidity. It was hot, but at least I could breathe :).

The really oppressive humidity is in July and August, but it makes me stronger for the Fall so it’s not so bad. I’ve been running long enough to know that it pays off eventually.

13. Ha Amy it sounds like your parking garage workouts are quite the workout for your nose too! Are you like me and can’t wait to get finished so you can eat?
    I read about this twinkie run! It does sound fun but so does being finished early in time for a movie! Thanks for linking up with us too!