Weekly Rundown: April 18-24

Happy Monday everyone! I recovered quickly from Saturday’s Green and Lean 5K and want to thank everyone who commented on the recap- and the course.

First, the difference between 20:53 and 21:22 in a 5K is pretty significant. Second, even though my Garmin said the course was short, the watch was close to 3.1, and the course is USATF certified. Finally, if a USATF certified course is good enough for state records, it should be good enough for personal records.

What is a personal best, exactly? It’s *personal*- so it can vary according to the individual, and this was my *best* 5K since the Reindeer Run 5K, as far as time and race execution go. So, I’ve decided to consider it a PR.

Monday BodyPump + 5.6 miles easy
Tuesday 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Wednesday 5.4 miles easy
Thursday 8 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday 7 miles including 5K tempo run
Sunday 10.25 miles
Total 44.25 miles + 1 BodyPump class

On Monday, I tracked all my Boston Marathon friends online. I’m super proud of all of them, and even if they didn’t run the times they wanted, I saw lots of smiling, happy people and no serious injuries. Getting to the start and finish of an endurance race without an injury is a victory.

That afternoon, I ran downtown with some friends. We started at the South Carolina Aquarium, ran to Colonial Lake (which officially reopens June 4, around the Battery, and back up East Bay Street, by Rainbow Row. It was a glorified sightseeing run where we hit the major attractions of Charleston.

On Wednesday, I ran the Fleet Feet Pub Run with all my Summerville Tri Club/Track Group friends. The run was at Icehouse, which is one of my favorite restaurants in town, and we ran down the Sawmill Branch Trail. A lot of runners showed up, and you could test out Hoka One One shoes during the run (I didn’t). I ran easy and enjoyed chatting with Tammie and Theresa about marathons, triathlons, and heart rate training.

I hung out a little while after the run to chat, but left pretty quickly because I was cold and the mile repeat fatigue hit my legs.

13072626_939596846137937_4343953532795718465_o

I ran another 8 miler on Thursday and took Friday off. One of my friends invited me to a group run downtown on Friday, and while it was just an easy 3-4 miler, I didn’t want to chance it by not taking a rest day this week. I’d already logged a lot of miles in the week and hadn’t taken a day off in 8 days. I’m just not one of those people who can run every single day.

On Saturday, I ran 7.1 miles, including the Omega Psi Phi 5K Fun Run. I used the run as a workout and hard effort because tempo runs are super hard for me. I paid a $10 donation to send boys to summer camp, and I got a tempo run and a finisher’s medal. This was more of a “fun run” rather than a timed race, and aside from giving away a TV, the run didn’t do awards.

IMG_20160423_102345

The organizers held a cookout for everyone and introduced each young man who will benefit from the summer camp scholarships. All of them also ran, too. Sometimes I have no clue how much of my run entry fees goes toward a cause or even what the proceeds benefit. I liked seeing where my donation went and felt good supporting the Omegas camp fund.

After my Saturday run, I checked my mail and found a medal for placing in the top 5% of Cooper River Bridge Run finishers. I’m really shocked I placed and got an award. I guess the fast ladies were either scared off by the rain or went trophy hunting at the SPCA Animal Shelter 5K in Myrtle Beach that day.

I also got lunch from the Dashi Food Truck- shrimp noodles because Dashi is for winners.

IMG_20160423_125028

Sunday was my usual long run. I slowed down the pace a bit due to heat and not wanting to run my easy days too quickly. I definitely need to get acclimated to the impending heat and humidity quickly with so many races coming up. I ran a little over 10 miles with the group.

After the run, I bought some groceries, came home to shower, then met Emily for brunch at Charleston Sports Pub. I later treated myself to some Ben and Jerry’s because… Sundaes on Sunday!

FB_IMG_1461512156517

I hope everyone had a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekly Rundown: April 18-24

1. I think sometimes we forget that GPS watches are never 100% accurate. I ran a certified 5k yesterday and finished with 3.19. Frustrating, but probably has more to do with Garmin inaccuracy and poor tangents then the course actually being too long. Congratulations on your PR! And congrats on finishing in the top 5%! What a fun surprise to find in the mail.

2. Hollie says:

Honestly we get to wrapped up on what did Garmin say? I learned that when it’s a USATF course, that means it…It’s hard to remember a time without Garmin but it was definitely there I guess. I’m so happy you PRed Amy, you deserved it!

Yeah- you know if this race was 20 years ago without Garmin or apps, everyone there would have taken the time and logged it as whatever it said, without obsessing over .02 or whatever. I’m sure some courses were accidentally long or short then too, but maybe more data isn’t always a good thing!

3. KrisLawrence says:

I love that $10 donation tempo run you did. Wish we had those around here. Oh and about the Garmin, what would you have thought if you hadn’t won it? You would have trusted the certification. Garmins are never accurate, congrats on that PR!

I know I do a lot of events, but a big reason why I run in them is for the donation aspect. I don’t go to church (unless you count the “Church of the Sunday Long Run”), so I don’t tithe- and since I work at home, I don’t have the option of supporting fundraisers here. I think of running charity races as a way I can give back monetarily.

4. laurenweiner says:

Sounds like a good week. You were smart to make sure you took a rest day!

5. Wow! You had a great high mileage wk of running. I also take body pump and run on the same day and feel fine. I know some people grown upon that. But if we feel good why not? Congratulations on placing in the race!

I also do BodyPump and run on the same day, but I BodyPump before work and run after work, so there’s a good 10ish hours of recovery in there.

It would be really difficult to not run on a BodyPump day- especially back when I went twice a week. I guess that’s a good plan if you’re lifting heavy and want to be a better BodyPump-er, but my purpose for BodyPump is to cross train for running.

6. liz says:

Every time I see one of your weekly recaps, you’ve always run exactly the same mileage as me. I ran 44 last week, too! I allow +/- .05 miles on a 5K course (from what my Garmin tells me) to consider it a PR-worthy course. Garmins aren’t always reliable (they go off at different times when you’re running in a group, even if you start them at the same time). Plus, there are tangents. 🙂

It’s a nice running mileage! I am going to back off at some point soon, though. I’ve had so many weeks in the 40s that I will need a cutback week soon (plus having a few niggles here and there which is usually a sign I need an easier week).

The apps are also very unreliable… especially when it comes to pace at the moment. I think sometimes too much data can be a bad thing, I overthink the simplest parts of running.

• liz says:

Cutback weeks are important. As much as I love to hit 50, my body likes to hover in the 40s, most weeks. If I cutback to the 30s, I feel like a spring chicken!

7. Karen says:

Congrats on the medal!

Thank you! The race was 3 weeks ago, so I guess actually wearing the medal would be a little awkward, but I have it for my Christmas tree this winter 🙂

8. Awesome job making the top 5% at the CRBR!!! Looks like it was a good recovery week, loved how you were able to get in a tempo and give to a great cause!
    😀
    Here’s to a good week of training ahead!!

Thanks girly! I hope you can make it to track tomorrow (ladder workout) or at least to the party at Kendall’s afterward, I can send you the address. We should be getting there about 7:15ish.

9. HoHo Runs says:

If the course is certified, I think you absolutely can count that as a PR! Congratulations on receiving an award for Copper River Bridge too. Top 5% is awesome. I like using 5ks as tempo runs as well and I find it hard to run “hard” on your own. And, you are donating to a good cause. My last one benefited autism. Thanks for linking with us Amy.

I generally only do charity races. I’m not a fan of events that are for-profit and think it’s great when runs give back and support the local community. Besides, there are so many races that do, there’s really no reason to do a for-profit run.

Tempo runs are probably the hardest workout for me to do, so if I can do it during a race or event, it helps big time. You can’t beat having closed roads and people cheering for you during your training run.

10. I totally agree with you on your statement getting to the start and finish of an endurance race without injury IS a victory indeed! I always enjoy seeing how social you are in your running and all the groups of friends you run with! Congratulations on race. It’s been awhile since I did a 5k and I forgot how hard they were to run at a faster pace than I normally do for a half. It did me good. Thanks Amy for your support of our link up!

11. I really like the way you analyze what a personal best race is versus the typical way of just judging the time. That’s smart! It looks like you had a great week of training! How neat that you got to start at an aquarium for one of your runs!