Weekly Rundown: April 11-17

Happy Patriot’s Day and Boston Marathon Monday!

praying_for_boston_thumb.jpg

I have many friends and training partners running Boston today, so my phone will be buzzing all day with updates on their paces and progress. For runners, Patriot’s Day is like the NCAA Final Four or NCAA Football Bowl Season. I hope all the runners have a safe, fun race and meet all their goals, whether that is a time goal, requalifying for Boston, and enjoying the race and city.

Qualifying for Boston isn’t one of my immediate goals, but I’d love to be there one day. That kind of requires running a marathon first, and I haven’t talked myself into that part yet…

Closer to home, this weekend was jam-packed in Charleston, where I trained hard and ran the Green and Lean 5K.

Monday BodyPump + 6 miles (garages)
Tuesday 8 miles (treadmill intervals)
Wednesday 6.5 miles
Thursday No workout
Friday 5.25 miles easy
Saturday 6.8 miles, including Green and Lean 5K (20:53, 3.08 miles)
Sunday 10.1 miles
Total 42.65 miles + 1 BodyPump Class

Monday started out with 6 AM BodyPump and ended with a 6 mile run downtown, which included 6 parking garages. The view from the tops of the garages is always spectacular. You can even smell Charleston’s delicious restaurants from the top levels, so this run always makes me hungry.

On Tuesday I ran 8 miles of shorter treadmill repeats, and on Wednesday, I ran 6.5 miles with our Summerville track group. Instead of running at the track, we switched our run to the Newington neighborhood (hilliest neighborhood in Summerville), and the triathletes could opt to run or ride their bikes. This worked out well because many of us were racing this weekend. We had a nice crowd!

12961501_1163857760304995_6400808055314014589_n

Due to travelling, I switched up my rest days, and I felt sluggish during my Friday run. The weather was damp, windy, and disgusting, and big trucks were flying down the road, blowing dirt into my eye. I was glad to finish that run.

Still, the yucky run got me down. I picked up my Green and Lean 5K packet but wasn’t super excited. I even tweeted the night before that I wasn’t feeling the race but was planning to do it since I’d preregistered and didn’t want to be out $20.

Fullscreen capture 4162016 102720 PM

I wasn’t sluggish on Saturday and surprised myself in the 5K. Seeing 20:xx on the clock was exciting. Even though the course is USATF certified, I logged 3.08 miles on my Garmin- so I hesitate to call it a PR. Maybe we started or finished a few feet from the correct place? I’m confident I can run a high 20/low 21 in a 5K- even if the course was off, it wasn’t *that* far off.

I was second female overall and Melissa was the overall winner. You can’t beat sharing the podium with a friend and training partner!

IMG_20160416_094025

It was fun running with friends like Sara, Ashley, Larry the Legend, and many others. Chris from the Sunday run group is a police officer and worked the race, and Virginia came out to spectate so Stella could run the Clara’s Tot Trot Fun Run. I love our Charleston running family/community. Virginia, Margie, and I headed to the Charleston Farmer’s Market in Marion Square after the race.

On Sunday, I ran 10.1 miles with the Sunday run crew from Hampton Park. I’m not pushing the pace on my long runs, so I get dropped from the group pretty quickly. I cranked up my iPod and cranked out the mileage, even with the crazy headwinds on the peninsula.

12983242_10101020643608959_920759665245092194_o

After my run, I got a sports massage, then ran my Mount Pleasant errands like shopping at Trader Joe’s. Trader Joe’s has awesome grab-and-go salads and they now sell Picky Bars, so I need to get there more often. Besides that, I just had a restful Sunday.

I hope everyone has a great week, and best wishes to my Boston Marathon friends and everyone else putting in the hard work toward their goals!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Weekly Rundown: April 11-17

1. Congratulations on breaking 21:00 and on your (sort of) PR!

Thank you! I may try to do another 5K before the heat hits to see how it goes. If nothing else, seeing 20:xx on the clock has me motivated because I want to see it again!

2. laurenweiner says:

Congrats on a great time (even if it might have been sliiiiightly off. Glad you stuck it out even though your weren’t feeling it the night before!

Thanks- yeah, I try not to take too much time off and get a run in no matter what. Sometimes you just have to run when you’re not 100% and that makes you tougher for the important races. Even with the race course being off, I still ran a great effort on Saturday and can’t complain.

3. IMHO, this was totally a PR based on how the last stretch of the course was!!! great job on a race well ran!, I *know* you will see 20:xx again SOON! this wasn’t a fluke, you are reaping the benefits of your smart training!!
    : )

There’s no such thing as a fluke good run- that’s what Jack Daniels says in his book :).

I will see 20:xx soon and in a race where my Garmin hits the full 3.11. I’m even more motivated now!

4. Wow, look at that 5k time!! All these 5k’s are sure making you even more speedy!! It is wonderful you and Melissa could share in the win, and I think it was a win for you both! Great job Amy!
    I love it when we surprise ourself with a great race even after we were not feeling so hot before. I try my best to pre-enter, you know save some money, but you do never know what you’ll get on race day or how you’ll feel. Thanks for linking with us.

I also preregister usually to save money- I think that depends on the race though. If it’s only a few bucks, I wait in case I just don’t want to do it at the last minute. Both of us had great personal victories on Saturday!

5. liz says:

Woo! 20:53! Congrats! I say if your Garmin reads +/- .05, that’s fair game. You can say you ran the tangents really well and call it a PR.

Thank you!

I do not believe we ran the certified 5K course. I dug up the map on the USATF website and think we may have started in the wrong lane. It’s unfortunate, but I still ran the best race I could that day even if it wasn’t the full distance!

• liz says:

Your best effort means more than a PR! And I’m sure you have many USATF-certified PRs in your future. 😄

6. Pam says:

I’m impressed with your 20 minute 5k but how annoying to realize afterwards that the course was a bit short. Hopefully you find another 5k to run in the next few weeks since it is already getting hot. How fun to share the podium with one of your running friends, that happened to me last month at our local half/full.

Yeah, there’s not much time left for a speedy 5K before running becomes survival here, but we’ll see how it goes. The beauty’s in the journey (I had the same 5K PR from April 2014 to August 2015)… so I’ll keep plugging away regardless :).

But yeah, it was sad to stop my Garmin and not see the PR text!

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on the PR time! I’m of the sort that if the course is USATF certified, it counts as a PR – so much can throw a Garmin off!

Thank you, Laura. I’m not sure we ran the exact course, but I ran the best race I could. I cannot control the course distance, or what the GPS reads, or who shows up in a race… just my attitude, training, and show up that day… and that’s what I did.

8. I can totally see you running Boston one day, Amy!! Awesome 5k time, no matter what the GPS said! Also, yay for sports massages 🙂

9. HoHo Runs says:

Congratulations on a great 5k finish time and 2nd overall placement. My new Garmin seems to measure distances slightly shorter than my older one — so I say if the course was certified, it was the proper length! And, I’d call it a PR too! Oh how I wish we had a Trader Joe’s! Thanks for linking with us Amy.

10. You look adorable with your award in hand! That’s a great PR, but I do understand your frustration. One way to look at it is that most courses are a bit long due to not being able to run tangents, so if you get one that’s a tad short, it just normalizes your other race times!! Congrats on another great week of running.