Weekly Rundown: April 4-10

Happy Monday everyone!

I took it easier at the beginning of this week to recover from the Cooper River Bridge Run, then did some tougher workouts later in the week.

I’m also playing around with which day of the week I rest. I do a speed workout every Wednesday, and I usually follow with an easy run on Thursday and a rest day on Friday. This week, I decided to move my rest day to Thursday and run a workout on Friday. It seems logical to take a rest day between two hard days instead of after an easy day.

I’m an experiment of one, and since this was a non-race week, I decided to experiment. It worked out well, so I might keep it up!

Monday BodyPump + 5 miles easy
Tuesday 6.3 miles
Wednesday 6.1 miles, including 5 x 1000m (track)
Thursday No workout
Friday 8 miles, including 5 x 8 min hard/2 min recovery (treadmill)
Saturday 7.1 miles (bridge)
Sunday 12.2 miles
Total 44.7 miles + 1 BodyPump class

The fatigue and sore quads hit me hard on Monday, so my 5 miler was a glorified sightseeing run around downtown Charleston. Those are always so much fun, and I can’t think of a better way to recover from a race. We even ran by Bill Murray’s house!

Wednesday’s short distance track workout went well. I held a solid pace for my 1000s, with my first one being the slowest and last one being the fastest. We had beautiful weather, and I wish I could bottle up these temperatures, because the heat and humidity will be here in a few weeks and running will turn into survival.

12512234_10154098863523185_3693732131197300221_n

I ran Friday’s mile repeats on the treadmill, as usual for my mile repeat workouts. The track is 30 minutes away and located at a school, so just not convenient. I’m glad I have treadmill access for speedwork, the summer months, and for when I want to watch trashy TV during my runs.

I ran the Cooper River Bridge pedestrian path on Saturday, and while we had a crazy headwind, I was glad I didn’t have to share the bridge with 30,000 other runners and walkers like last Saturday. As usual, I started and ended at Whole Foods Market. I’m a creature of habit but I think most runners are… or maybe I just like post-run shopping at Whole Foods.

IMG_20160329_110443

Sunday morning was my long run. I woke up at 7, drank coffee and ate part of a bagel with apple butter, then headed to the park. I ran 3 miles with Larry the Legend before the rest of the group showed up. Larry’s run tons of marathons, including many Boston’s, and ran competitively in Boston during the 1980s running boom. He’s fun to run with and talk to and has a wealth of knowledge in the sport. I then ran 8 miles with the group and one more after to finish out my 12 for the day.

After my long run, I refueled with a Dashi shrimp burrito! Dashi is a food truck that comes out to the Sunday Brunch Farmer’s Market, and it’s quickly becoming my favorite Charleston food truck. Many of the trucks I’ve liked have gone off-road or just stay in one place (kinda defeats the purpose of a food truck), but Dashi travels all over Charleston, including West Ashley and James Island. Clay and I are officially addicted to the market and the food truck!

IMG_20160403_122256-001

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Cooper River Bridge Run, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Weekly Rundown: April 4-10

1. I know what you mean about tracks being inconvenient. There are a million high school tracks in my area, but most of them are locked all the time! It’s like setting off on a hero’s quest every time I want to find one that’s available! It’s so frustrating… when I do speedwork, I’d rather do it on the track, but the dumb things are always locked so the public can’t use them. For shorter intervals, the treadmill usually my only option.

Most of our tracks are locked, too. We have permission to use the SHS one on Wednesday nights, and we do, but occasionally they have a meet (we also cancel on the nights the Fleet Feet store has a run). And sometimes… I like to do 2 workouts in the same week :).

For what the treadmill lacks in simulating real running in a race, you make up for it with mental toughness…

2. Elizabeth C. says:

Great week! I think finding regular training rhythm that works for you is really important, so it’s good to see you experimenting with different workouts on different days. I personally like to take a rest day (or very easy day) on Wednesday because it counteracts the “hump day” of the work week. A nice little break to look forward to in the middle of the week! Anyway, sounds like you are all recovered from your race and ready to tackle those summer 5Ks.

The rest day thing is one reason why I don’t like “plan-in-a-can” training plans. I’ve seen so many that had a rest day on Monday, and for me… that’s the worst possible day to not work out because it sets the tone for my week. Honestly, Tuesday and Thursday are my busier days at work, and I run easy on Tuesdays so it will make sense to take Thursday off sometimes- especially if I don’t feel like running after a long day in the (home) office.

I am excited about the summer 5K schedule- just hope I can stick to the races I want to do, only pushing the pace in a few (tempoing some), and not get burnt out or over race like I did last summer.

3. I think moving your rest day worked out well for you Amy! I also enjoyed reading about your Bridge run too. We were in Memphis and parked in one of the garages and I thought about your garage workouts as we were driving up. Thanks for linking up with us hope you have a great week!

You’re welcome- you did great in Memphis, too! It is weird for me to park in a garage now because I think about the inclines and how it would be to run it…

4. I’m uber jealous about your run with Larry!!! Glad he is starting to run again, as I know he’s been out a few months due to his knee.
    In regards to rest days, you gotta do what works best for you! Figuring out training cycles is all about trial and error when you are your own coach. You know your body better than anyone else, so you know how to listen to it and adjust training and rest days accordingly
    : )

Yep, Larry and I got a nice 3 miles in before the rest of the group. It was good to have someone to run that with. Normally I just zone out with the ipod but honestly, that gets boring because I do it on my easy days (which are my hardest runs of the week).

This whole sport is one ongoing science experiment with things like rest and recovery. The other schedule was working, but I’m going to see how I like this for a few weeks and go from there.

5. laurenweiner says:

I like planned rest days on Friday because I’m usually mentally exhausted by that point and just want to veg out. But, you have to do what works for you – and it looks like its working out fine so far! PS – my husband and I are all about long weekend trips that include me doing a race. Maybe I might have to find a good race that brings me your way!

Charleston Half Marathon, MLK weekend in January. Hotels are cheap then and January’s a fun time to be in SC because of the mild weather. I have run Charleston Half for 4 years, and 3 of those years, I was able to wear shorts. This past year I raced in a tank top. That’s good racing weather.

6. HoHo Runs says:

Great description of running in summer southern heat. Survival it is. I bet it very interesting to run with Larry. He’s a running encyclopedia. Your mileage is always amazing! Thanks for thinking with us Amy!

7. For a minute I thought I didn’t read your 10K post and missed it – but I remembered it well 🙂 End of the marking period brain has me crazy. Anyway, congrats again. You had a fabulous week and I think you are awesome at listening to your body. I like how you are playing around with your rest days and speed work days. I still am shocked that with Hansons, I had speed on Tues and Thurs and just one rest day in between actually worked for me. I never saw that coming. Huge difference in recovery. I am a huge advocate of the rest day, these days! LOL!

I knew you read it, but you probably read a LOT of blogs (as do I) and sometimes they kinda run together especially if it’s a weekend when a lot of people raced.

I kinda got the idea for taking the rest day between two workouts from the Hansons plans, as they do that. Sometimes rest days are just from necessity with racing schedules but since I didn’t have to worry about that this week, why not try it? It worked out well and I will probably take this Thursday off too, since I have to travel for work.

• I always get overwhelmed with trying to catch up on blog reading on Mondays. Between trying to get my weekly post out and catching up on everyone else’s, I am always worried I’m going to miss something! Then there’s the part where I actually have to work sometimes, LOL. Who wants to do that when there are so many exciting races to read about?! The struggle is REAL. Excited for you, sister!

8. Amazing week. Great workouts.
    And I have never heard of Dashi, but that shrimp burrito looks amazing.

Dashi is amazing (I had this shrimp burrito for dinner tonight as well, since they were in WA). Their truck actually drives around Charleston- they’ve been in West Ashley, James Island, Daniel Island, Mt Pleasant, and even Summerville. I like that much better than trucks that are always at the same location. Everything they serve is really good, too- you should try it.