Weekly Rundown: March 28-April 3

It’s Bridge Run week in Charleston!

IMG_20160331_141707

I spent this week recovering from last week’s increased mileage and preparing for the race. My workouts were pretty low-key, but I still ran my usual track workout and my hill (garage) workout.

When training for the Cooper River Bridge Run over the last few weeks, I focused on running inclines, whether it was the bridge itself or parking garages. I know I can race a 10K, and I run flat races and routes often because this is Charleston.

I also did BodyPump classes- strength training helps big time. Two BodyPump classes each week on top of my weekly mileage and runs on the bridge were taking a toll on my recovery, so I backed off of those last week and this week. Summer is right around the corner, so I’ll spend more time in the gym cross-training with BodyPump and other classes when it’s hot.

Monday BodyPump + 6 miles (garages)
Tuesday 5.2 miles
Wednesday 5.6 miles (track)
Thursday 6.3 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday 8.2 miles including Cooper River Bridge Run 10K (44:41)
Sunday 9.1 miles
Total 40.4 miles + 60 minutes BodyPump

I started Monday out with 6 AM BodyPump and finished up with a 6 mile run in Downtown Charleston, including 6 parking garages (we run up the inclines to the top, then run back down). It was a great final incline workout with time to recover before Saturday, and it’s always fun to run downtown.

On Wednesday, I ran 5.6 miles at track, including 6 x 800m. I planned to run 8 800s, and almost wish I had because my splits were going well, but I bagged the workout to get some extra cooldown miles in and recover for Saturday.

IMG_20160330_175626

Tuesday and Thursday were both easy/progressive runs around my neighborhood’s bike path, so I don’t have much to say about those. I also went to the Bridge Run expo on Saturday, where I hung out with some friends, drank a few free cocktails (the vendors gave me some rather large “samples”), and didn’t spend a fortune. I bought 6 Picky Bars, one of each flavor, from The Foot Store’s booth, and I got a free shirt for buying. The Picky Bars taste great and are a good option for post-workout recovery.

IMG_20160401_164402

Saturday was the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K! I left my house at 5:20 AM to be in Mt. Pleasant and parked by 6. I parked at the Harris Teeter grocery store (Sea Island Shopping Center), and they opened the store for us to go to the bathroom, stand inside from the rain, and stay warm and dry. At around 7, I left the store to walk to my corral, warm up jog, and the race began at 8.

I ran a 44:41 in the Cooper River Bridge Run, which was a 67 second PR over last year’s 45:48.

This was my first 10K since last year’s Bridge Run. It wasn’t my best-executed race, because I went out a little too fast and rode the pain train the whole last mile. The Bridge Run start is exciting and it’s hard to strategize and not to start too quickly. Still, I’m grateful to run a personal best and finish injury-free. Ugly races still count as PRs!

FB_IMG_1459640997553

After the race, I spent the rest of the morning hanging out with friends, then headed home that afternoon to rest. Traffic in Charleston was a beast with the Bridge Run, Flowertown Festival in Summerville, and influx of tourists, so I didn’t get out much.

On Sunday, I ran 9.1 miles with my friend Shawanna who was in town for the Bridge Run, along with Tom and Chris, who I usually run with on Sundays. We had a lot of people at Hampton Park for group run and it was a beautiful day for it- much less humid than Saturday!

IMG_20160403_102757

As for next week, I plan to see how recovery goes post Bridge Run. I don’t have any races planned right away, and we have a lot of expenses coming up (landscaping, car insurance), so I may take it easy on the racing for a few weeks.

I hope everyone has a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other postshere.

This entry was posted in 10Ks, Cooper River Bridge Run, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Weekly Rundown: March 28-April 3

1. Hollie says:

It sounds like it was a great race for you Amy, congrats. Good luck with recovery, it’s a funny thing…some races I recover really quickly and bounce back. Some races, it takes a lot longer to recover.

Thank you Hollie. So far so good with recovery- I have bounced back pretty well but will continue to take it easy for a day or so (probably until Wednesday track, which will be my next hard effort).

I had a breakfast with a lot of protein after my run and think that helped, along with a lot of walking after the race.

2. wanderwolf says:

Great week and awesome work in the 10k! COngrats on the PR 🙂

3. Nice job! A minute PR is huge… congratulations! It shows that all your hard work over the last year is working. 🙂

Thank you! The conditions were also a bit worse this year (more humid). I really think if I’d stuck with a better race plan I could have been a little faster, but I probably shouldn’t complain with a PR… it was a rough day for many.

4. ksquared says:

Congrats on the PR! It’s well deserved!

5. Elizabeth C. says:

I got a bit of a spoiler on your Bridge Run on Instagram! Way to smash a PR! I think the fact that you were able to run 9 miles the next day shows that you are ready for some higher mileage. I read your comment on my blog (and replied) and based on what I am seeing in your weekly recaps, you have an incredible consistency and you do a good deal of strength work which should stave off injuries.

Thanks. Yeah, I do kind of spoil everything on Instagram these days.

I’ll have to check out your comment. I don’t plan on increasing my mileage right now, as there’s really no use to run 50 mile weeks just to tempo a bunch of summertime 5Ks, so I’d rather stay where I am, stay consistent, and save the increase for the Fall. In other words, I don’t want to increase just for the sake of increasing… but it does feel nice knowing that I could… :).

I love my strength training and think it’s incredibly important. On Mondays, I BodyPump first thing. Hands down, I would skip the Monday run before I would skip a weekly strength class.

6. Congrats on a new PR!! Woot woot! I have a Picky Bar to try (from a friend) in my pantry. I’ve heard lots of good things and now that you mentioned you like all the flavors, I may give some others a try. I’m always looking for some nutrient dense bars.

7. Great job on your race and a PR that is super Amy! Garage running huh? I would not have thought of doing that! I bet it is a great workout! Hope your recovery is going well! I am always so impressed with your speed and ability to bounce right back out there. Thanks for linking up!

Garages are a crazy hard workout! I always feel a little tanked the next day, though. The inclines plus the surface can beat you up badly, as can the bridge.

My recovery is going well! I took it very easy yesterday and fairly easy today and will do my track tomorrow.

8. Congrats on the PR!!! i may or may not have been on the CRBR results page so i may or may not have known about a PR by 8:48 am,lol!!!
    Happy recovery week, looking forward to the recap!

9. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on the PR! Sub-45 is such an exciting barrier to break in the 10K! I look forward to reading your recap!

10. HoHo Runs says:

I like that Foot Store shirt because it has raglan sleeves (no seams on the shoulder). A big congratulations for beating your previous time in the Cooper Bridge Run. I think I saw from another post that you run the steep bridge early on. I think that would make it difficult to plan your pacing strategy. Thanks for linking with us Amy.

The incline of the bridge comes at the end of mile 2 and about all of mile 3. You only run up it once so it’s an easy race to negative split, at least :).

I haven’t run in the new shirt yet (it was tank top running weather here yesterday and today). I’ll probably break it out tomorrow or Thursday!

11. laurenweiner says:

Sounds like a good week and a great race. A PR is still a PR no matter how ugly! Ugh – thanks for reminding me of the expense of landscaping! With this unseasonably warm weather, my yard is out of control (thank goodness its a backyard that only I can see!)