Weekly Rundown: March 21-27

Whew. Monday after a 3-day, holiday, weekend = always a doozy.

chocolate-easter-bunny-cartoon

Last week, I participated in an online Super Week challenge and challenged myself to run a 50 mile week. The timing was perfect since it was a week before the Cooper River Bridge Run and I had a short work week.

Sometimes the best reason to do something is to prove to yourself that you can. This was my highest volume week in awhile and if nothing else, boosted my confidence that I can increase my mileage if I decide to train for a longer distance.

Monday BodyPump + 8.1 miles
Tuesday 8 miles (mile repeats)
Wednesday 6.5 miles
Thursday 8.1 miles
Friday 12 miles (bridge)
Saturday 20 minutes Youtube yoga for runners
Sunday 8.1 miles
Total 50.8 miles, 60 minutes BodyPump, 20 minutes yoga

I started my Monday out with BodyPump, as usual. I didn’t want to risk dead legs during my last few important workouts for the Bridge Run, so I only went on Monday this week. After all, I go to BodyPump to be a better runner, not a better BodyPumper.

Monday’s weather was gorgeous with temperatures in the upper 50s, and I had a great run around my neighborhood. Then on Tuesday, I hit the treadmill for a mile repeats (8 min hard, 2 min easy) workout similar to last week’s, since I didn’t have track access this week. I don’t mind speedwork on the treadmill- I zone out to mindless TV anyway.

Since SHS had a track meet Wednesday night, we did a group run in one of Summerville’s hilly neighborhoods, Newington. All of the Charleston area is flat, but the Newington hill route is a nice way to change it up. I ran at a steady pace since I did mile repeats the day before, but those who wanted to make it a speed workout sprinted up the hills. A couple of people biked too! It was a good way to stay together on a group run while everyone got the workout they wanted.

FB_IMG_1458779085890

On Friday, I was off work for Good Friday, so I ran 12 miles in Mt. Pleasant, including two trips over and back on the Cooper River Bridge. I like starting my runs at Whole Foods, so I get a mile of flat running before hitting the bridge (plus, Whole Foods is a great place to eat/refuel after the run).

The Bridge Run race only involves running up the bridge one time, so hard workouts like this will make race day feel easier. Larry and Chris were running the bridge too, so it was great to see some familiar faces.

I slept in on Saturday, then Clay and I went to Mellow Mushroom Avondale for the Disco Throwback Brunch. Our Mellow Mushroom celebrates their anniversary each year by rolling back prices to 1970s and people dress up like hippies.

IMG_20160326_100413 (1)

We got two large pizzas for less than one would normally cost, and I love the crust on the Mellow Mushroom pizza (I rarely eat the crust on any other pizza). Mellow Mushroom pizzas are huge, and we had to rearrange our fridge to accomodate the takeout boxes. Pizza for days!

IMG_20160326_101958

It rained and stormed on Saturday, so the rest of the day consisted of a little yoga/stretching and catching up on TV shows.

On Sunday, we had more rain the forecast and I wanted to get some miles in early, so instead of running my usual downtown route, I ran 3 miles with Lisa, Steve, and Mike at Charles Towne Landing, watched the sunrise, then I ran 5 more miles around the park to finish out the week. I ran at an easier pace and enjoyed the company and beauty of the park, since I never get to “enjoy” the course during Race the Landing. I was finished by 9 AM!

This week, I have a track workout, a garage run, and some easy mileage before the Cooper River Bridge Run. Even with the mileage increase, my legs feel pretty good. I’m wishing for good weather, a nice tailwind up the incline of the bridge, and shooting to run under 45 minutes on Saturday. Have a great week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other postshere.

This entry was posted in Avondale/West Ashley, Cooper River Bridge Run, Date night, Race the Landing, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Rundown: March 21-27

1. Theresa says:

BQ. That’s all I have to say. 🙂

2. I love your outfit for eating at Mellow Mushroom! I love when restaurants do fun specials like that! It looks like you had a great week!!

3. 50 mile week… impressive!!!!

4. Solid week! And oh, that pizza looks delish…

5. liz says:

Congrats on the 50 mile week! I don’t make it to 50 every week, but it feels really good when I do. 🙂

6. Its always a good sign that your legs still feel pretty good after a 50 mile week!!!!
    Great job this week!
    : )

7. ksquared says:

That pizza looks amazing!! Congrats on an awesome week! I think you’ll do great next weekend. I have to ask though — what is a garage run??

Funny you should ask, because I’m planning one this evening!

Charleston SC is the flattest place ever with NO hills- but we have plenty of parking garages. We have a downtown running route that is around 6 miles and includes 6 different parking garages of various inclines. We run up to the top of each garage then back down. People who want a fast workout will sprint the inclines, otherwise you can just run whatever pace. We all wait for each other at the top of each garage and the run is usually just a conversational pace- the “hard” aspect of it is the hills.

• ksquared says:

Hahaha okay, that totally makes sense. We actually did that back when I ran XC in HS because the Chicago suburbs are also flat as a pancake. That’s such a fun run to do with a group!

It is so much fun! We had a great time tonight, the best thing is when it ends with a sunset at the top of the last garage.

8. Pam says:

Wow, 50 miles in one week is quite an accomplishment. I hope the Cooper River Bridge runs goes exactly according to your plan. You have trained really hard to be ready to reach your goal. Pizza = yum and leftover pizza is even better!

9. Awesome job on the 50 mile week.
    Darn it I always miss that cheap Mellow Day!

I was really surprised it wasn’t more crowded at Mellow. This was our 3rd time going to Disco Brunch (living here for 4 of them), and there were plenty of open seats to be found. I’ve seen Mellow Mushroom more crowded on your average Saturday without any events…

10. Meagan says:

Good luck on Saturday! That’s a great week you had. I always have to build up to big mileage weeks like that, but once I get to that point I love it. The more miles the better 🙂

Agreed 100% with building up and taking it slowly! I’ve been in the 40s for the last few weeks (and would have been earlier this month, had the stomach virus not knocked me out for 3 days that week). Increasing mileage is a big lesson in body awareness and knowing when to hold back, slow down, or take a cutback week.

11. HoHo Runs says:

My husband has family in Mt. Pleasant. It’s been a while since we’ve visited though. I like the hippie shirt…I’d have no problem wearing it now. I like Mellow Mushroom too. 50 miles is a very strong week. Good luck at the Cooper River Bridge Run this weekend! It sounds like you are ready to rock that race! Thanks for linking with us.

Thank you! Yeah, if his family is in Mt. Pleasant… they’re gonna be affected by the heavy traffic from the run + tourists this weekend.

Mellow Mushroom has the best veggie pizza… so yummy.

12. Kara says:

I love this quote: “Sometimes the best reason to do something is to prove to yourself that you can.” So true! Also I LOVE Mellow Mushroom! I went in Georgia and miss it now…so delicious! Also, great idea about starting/ending a run at Whole Foods. I need to do that so I fuel up instead of driving home starving post-run!

It’s really convenient to start/end at Whole Foods. If I am hungry or thirsty post run, I can grab whatever I need. Also, bathrooms! Fleet Feet Sports is in the same shopping center, which is helpful too.

Mellow Mushroom has 4 locations here and another coming soon. It’s all over the South and even though it’s a chain, they are all a little different with menus/decor and I like that!

13. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Nice job on a 50 mile week! Finishing runs at Whole Foods sounds amazing, I bet their hot bar just hits the spot after a long run. Good luck on your race this weekend!

I like the Whole Foods Hot Bar, but not after a run. I don’t want anything hot after a run because the temperature here is already so hot! I prefer smoothies or very light foods for a few hours after :). Whole Foods has pretty good pizza too!

14. I am with you Amy on sometimes we do things to prove to ourself we can. I think the runstreak is that for me! Congratulations on your 50 mile week! I so wish we had a Whole Foods near us! Good luck on Saturday an thank you for linking up with us! 🙂

15. I LOVE the crust on Mellow Mushroom as well. Hope you had a good race this past weekend.