Weekly Rundown: March 14-20

Happy Monday!

Congratulations to everyone who raced this past weekend- I had a lot of friends who ran the Palmetto 200, 70, Parris Island Tri, and some friends and blog readers who ran Wrightsville Beach or Shamrock. Seems like it was a really big weekend for racing, and I hope everyone finished their runs happy, injury-free, and met their goals.

I’m one week closer to the Cooper River Bridge Run. Last Saturday’s trail run didn’t beat my legs up too badly, so I quickly recovered and just continued on with training. I had several quality runs and am pretty proud of this week.

Monday BodyPump + 6 miles
Tuesday 8.1 miles (treadmill/mile repeats)
Wednesday BodyPump + 5.3 miles
Thursday 5.7 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday 7.5 miles including McLeod Sports Medicine 5K (21:34)
Sunday 10 miles
Total 42.6 miles + 2 BodyPump classes

I started the week with some strength training at BodyPump. I took my RUN4P towel from Saturday’s race swag bag to the gym. The towel is a cool way to represent the race in the gym- you can RUN4P or LIFT4P.

IMG_20160316_062250

Unfortunately, Clay got sick with the stomach ickiness that I had earlier this month, so immediately after BodyPump, I had to go to Publix and the pharmacy to buy him PediaLyte, applesauce, and stomach medicine. Clay stayed home from work and slept most of the day. I was really sad he caught the stomach bug from me. It’s hard not to catch when you live together, sleep together, eat/drink after each other, etc.

I did a 6 mile run downtown Monday night, including parking garages. We had a nice crowd for our garage run. Plus, it was Pi Day, so I had pizza from YourPie after my run. I’m kind of a math nerd. Little known fact: although I was an English major, I tutored math in college. My college’s math department tried to convince me to major in math (thanks, but no thanks).

image

Tuesday, I tried something different and did a treadmill workout. I ran five “mile repeats” of 8 minutes hard (8 mph), 2 minutes recovery. The repeats were a little longer than a mile, but I don’t  trust treadmill distances since it takes some time for the belt to get to 8 mph. I warmed up and cooled down for a total of 8.1 miles that evening.

Wednesday was the monthly Fleet Feet Summerville Pub Run. We cancelled our usual track workout to attend the pub run, which worked out well because many of our track regulars were recovering from races or preparing for this weekend’s Palmetto 200 Relay.

12513900_914749555289333_4362837657443929049_o

12419286_914749705289318_7502702265342904373_o

Fleet Feet had a great run and after party at Carolina Ale House, and about 120 people attended. We ran most of the Cocoa Cup 5K course then hung out.

IMG_20160316_192912

On Thursday, Clay’s mom visited and we all went out to dinner at Early Bird Diner, so I ran a few miles around the neighborhood before we headed out that evening.

I spent Friday closing out tickets for work then driving to see my mom and dad for the night. We had dinner and just spent some time together as a family. I hadn’t seen my parents since they came down in January to visit and help me car shop, so I was happy to spend some time with them. My mom sent me home with tons of candy too. Easter candy is the *best*- Starburst jelly beans, mini Cadbury eggs, and anything Reese’s.

On Saturday, I ran the McLeod Sports Medicine 5K in Florence, an easy drive from my parents’ house and good tune-up before the Bridge Run. I ran a 21:34- 13 seconds faster than the last time I ran that course at the Florence Turkey Trot. The race was so small that I was in no-mans-land for most of it, running alone. That was a weird experience. I also narrowly missed getting hit by a trucking back out onto the race course.

I saw some coworkers (always fun when you work from home), got a finisher’s medal for this year’s Christmas tree, and won a gift certificate- it was a nice day!

IMG_20160319_102633-2.jpg

On Sunday, I ran my usual 10 miler downtown with Jon, Tom, and Larry. It was rainy, wet, and cloudy- perfect morning for sleeping in. Still, you never know when you’ll have rough weather during a race, and it ended up being one of my better long runs in awhile. I spent the rest of Sunday getting ready for the work week and relaxing.

This week, I plan to run the bridge again before next Saturday, cram 5 days of technical writing into 4 since we have Good Friday off work, and enjoy the long weekend. I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Training Log. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Rundown: March 14-20

1. Laura says:

Nice week of training Amy, love that so many people came out for the pub run and post-run hang out too! You seem to be getting in some race specific training for the Bridge run- that will bode well for you come race day!

Thank you! I live in a pancake-flat area, so my goal is at least one bridge or hill (garage) workout each week. I’d love to run the bridge more than once a week, but it’s kind of a drive for me to get out there.

2. Sounds like a great week of training, as usual! 🙂

I’m just curious… is it common to have Good Friday off work down South? I don’t think I’ve had Good Friday off since college (because I went to a private Christian university).

I have Good Friday off because I work for a software company whose clients primarily consist of churches and other religious/nonprofit organizations. I’ve had it off as long as I’ve worked there. As far as other companies, it varies. A lot of my friends don’t work at Friday at all, as many companies here do 10 hours a day, 4 days a week. Clay works a 5-day work week and they do not have Good Friday off.

Also, Good Friday sometimes occurs during Spring Break, and when that happens, teachers and those who work for the school district are off (as well as many parents who choose to take PTO/vacation while their kids are out).

• Okay, that makes sense! What kind of software does your company write, if you don’t mind my asking? (I’m a
        technical writer for a software that makes library software and previously worked for a religious non-profit, hence the interest!)

3. Pam says:

You had a great week Amy with that little 5k thrown in to keep you race ready. I love that you will train in the rain because as you said, it could be that weather on race day. I never change a run for weather unless it could be dangerous to run outside. I’ve run several races (Boston 2015) in rain so it is good to understand exactly what you need for gear. Thankfully the rain held yesterday for most of the half finishers at our local race, but alot of the marathons ran in pretty heavy rain. They looked like drowned rats at the finish.

We were dry for about half the run, as most of the rain didn’t start until the last 2 miles at least!

I think sometimes it’s okay to take your workout inside, especially if it’s dangerous or if you just know you’ll get a better quality workout on the treadmill than you would in the conditions outside. In the end, this is just a hobby for us so no need to run in weather you’re not comfortable in, or if you just don’t feel like it, etc.

When I have a race coming up, I tend to grind it out despite the weather because you just never know what will happen on race day. It helps my pre-race nerves too (I don’t obsessively worry about weather!)

4. I’ve been trying to run hill repeats every other week or so and I kind of hate them, but at least it is outside and decent scenery. I feel like a parking garage would be so boring and awful. Go you!

And congrats on your win at the 5k!

Oh, thank you. I did win, although it was a very small 5K (the only kind an age grouper like myself will ever win…).

I *love* running the garages! Not only is it a great strength-builder, but it’s a little deviant and that makes it even more fun. You do have to be careful about when you go and only run in them at times when you won’t find many cars/drivers.

5. Nice job in your 5k! You seem to have a great running group. My husband and I are planning a trip to Charleston and Savannah later this spring since we have never been to either city. I would love to get some ideas for places to go and run! 🙂

I can offer tons of suggestions for Charleston (obviously!), but have never been to Savannah! If you guys do decide to go to Savannah though and you want to run, just let me know a little before and I will ask my friend who lives/works down there and is a runner.

6. another solid week of training in the books! great job the 5k! its always hard to really push yourself when you are out in no mans land,but you did amazing job at keeping pace!!!
    oh and sorry but I totally “borrowed “that pic of us at the ale house to post it to my blog!

Thanks! I did slow down a bit on the course, but I ran a better race than the last time I ran it (Thanksgiving Turkey Trot).No PRing the first mile!

You’re more than welcome to borrow any pictures from the blog :).

7. HoHo Runs says:

Congratulations on your win! Do you put all your finisher medals on your Christmas tree? That is a super cool idea! As a Mom of older kids, I’m glad you went and visited your parents. 🙂 Good luck with the bridge run and enjoy your long Easter weekend. Thanks for linking with us Amy.

I do- we have 2 Christmas trees: one for our family’s ornaments and a smaller one that I put the running medals on.

I love seeing my parents. They aren’t getting any younger. My mom turns 70 this year, and while they live almost 2 hours away, it really isn’t a horrible drive for an overnight trip + dinner (especially on Clay’s BJJ/MMA nights)

8. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Great week of training and congrats on the win! It’s funny you mention you’re a math nerd who studied English because I was the same way – I loved math but studied English and I think I gravitate so much to coaching because of the math behind it.
    Enjoy your long weekend! I miss the days of having Good Friday off. I was Catholic-schooled and we’d get Thursday through Monday off, but none of Ryan’s employers give the day off.

9. Elizabeth C. says:

Another great week on the books! Sorry to hear that Clay got sick, but I am sure he appreciated you getting him that stuff. And that truck almost hitting you! Scary!! Anyway, awesome job on the race and on getting out in that nasty weather.

It was pretty scary. When I do training runs on the roads, I watch out for trucks and cars more carefully… I’m glad I was watching out for this truck. It’s crazy he/she didn’t look again, or just delay the trip for a while until the runners were further down the road.

10. You sure had a better week than I did! I hate Clay got sick, I cringe when someone gets sick in my household too because we are so close together! The pizza was perfect for Pi day and hey my daughter tutors HS math students and some college too. She is in school to actually be a math teacher! Sounds like a great visit with your parents and the Reeses Eggs top any other Reeses in my book!!! Congratulations on your race and GC!!! Thanks for linking up Amy!

I love Reese’s candy- and peanut butter- in general. I’m excited for things to be marked down in a few days, that way I can stock up.

So cool that your daughter is in school to teach math- many of the people I tutored with went on to teach high school or even become professors. Even for someone like me who didn’t go into a profession that uses math, the skills I got from teaching others carried over well into technical writing.

11. Another good week! I wish I had pizza on pi day 😛 That is pretty funny about your college days – looking back I wish I had double majored (I ended up Business major Econ minor) with Comp Sci or Math…oh well. Have a great week, Amy!

12. Wow, how interesting that you tutored in math despite being an English major! You are truly a jack of all trades. I feel like so many English majors are not “math people” haha. At least I know I am not a math person. At all. Though I do fine if I really try. I think it’s just my attitude and me preferring English-related things!

Anyways! It looks like you had a solid week of training. The pizza from Pi day looks fabulous. I want a slice now, ha!

Hope you have a great weekend and Easter!

13. Awesome week Amy! I wanted to run the Cooper River Birdge Run while I lived in Athens, but never took the chance. Bummer – maybe one day I’ll head back that way and get it in! Have a great weekend! 🙂

Honestly, if you’re looking for a destination race in Charleston, I would go with the Charleston Marathon or even the James Island Connector Run.

Bridge Run is expensive, with minimum night stays in hotels, crowds, and does not offer a finisher’s medal or tech shirt (despite a $55 price tag and NO discount codes). As a local, I run this race because the logistics aren’t bad for me- but it’s not the best race Charleston has to offer. I avoided it myself until my race times were fast enough to make it into the “competitive” corral- and still joke about fooling someone into thinking I’m speedy.

If you just want to run over the bridge… it is free to run over it any other day. I ran it twice today :).