Weekly Rundown: March 7-13

The second week of March went much better than the first.

My week was off to a slower than usual start due to being so sick last weekend, but I felt good enough to run 6 days this week and did some cross training on top of it.

I ran the Peyton’s Wild and Wacky 5K on Saturday. After missing last Saturday’s race, my only real goal for Peyton’s was to make it to the start and finish injury-free, as it was a very mud, technical trail run. A few people sprained ankles on the trail, and the “mud monster” ate the winner’s shoe.

IMG_20160312_130703

My legs and shoes were covered in mud, but I was happy to finish intact and healthy. I will write more about Peyton’s 5K run later in the week.

Monday 5.2 miles easy
Tuesday 5.4 miles, including 4 x 800m
Wednesday BodyPump + 8.7 miles easy/bridge
Thursday 4.1 miles easy
Friday 20 minutes yoga for runners
Saturday 7.2 miles including Peyton’s Wild and Wacky 5K (24:30)
Sunday 10 miles
Total 40.6 miles, 60 minutes BodyPump 20 minutes yoga

Confession: I missed a Monday workout.

After being sick all last weekend, which included missing a planned race and long run, the decision to skip Monday BodyPump was a no-brainer. A cross training workout, or 3 hours of extra sleep? I happily rolled over and slept until 8 AM, knowing I could attend another BodyPump class later in the week.

Besides, a two-a-day after three days completely off probably isn’t a smart idea.

On Wednesday, Summerville had a track meet so our usual run group headed to the Cooper River Bridge. A few of us are running the bridge run in a few weeks and wanted some practice, plus it was fun running somewhere different for a change. We took a picture before the run, but a lot of people didn’t make the pic. We got the bridge in the background, too.

12823371_1127847210599985_8653471328267738279_o

Everyone went out to Taco Boy after our run! The service was a bit slow but the tacos were good, and everyone had fun just hanging out and socializing. Taco Boy is a fun place in downtown Charleston, and they have a big parking lot which was great for our crowd.

12829194_840678152913_3951575049923265382_o

I ran an easy 4.1 miles at the 105.5 The Bridge Brew Run on Thursday. This week’s Brew Run was from Triangle Char-N-Bar in West Ashley. The runs do door prizes and giveaways, and since we didn’t have a huge crowd, most everyone who came won something. I scored a free pair of socks, and when you’re a runner, you always need more socks.

It’s also been pretty hot here lately with highs in the low 80s this week. It’s amazing how much you can sweat on a short, easy run!

12809608_10153926125950119_5408553455830365240_n (1)

Saturday was the Peyton 5K, followed by a Summerville Running/Tri party at Kendall’s house. Kendall held a party to celebrate the end of the Y in Training spring running program and to kick off tri training season. The party was big with lots of delicious food like pizza and cupcakes. We had a lot to celebrate- from first-time 5Kers to BQers and birthdays.

For a small town, we have a great group of athletes.

12832311_10154016197643185_2258636657510198622_n

This week, I have a lot going on with work (meetings!), but plan to do a few speed and hill workouts, then jump into a 5K road race on Saturday for one last  tune-up before the bridge run.

We also have family visiting, and I’m visiting family, so it will be a packed week. I’m glad to be over the stomach ickiness so I can enjoy it!

I’m linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link. Check it out and read the other posts here.

This entry was posted in Moore On Running, RUN4P, Trail running, Training Log, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Weekly Rundown: March 7-13

1. Hollie says:

It sounds like you had a more productive training week. I’m glad things felt better Amy. I always tell people you can never have enough of two things: socks and underwear. Glad you scored something from the group run!

2. I’m glad the second week of March went better than the first for you, Amy!! Also, that trail race sounds intense! I can’t wait to read about it and the mud monster, haha. I hope you have a great week with everything you’ve got going on! Enjoy!

I am definitely not a trail runner… I’ll write about it more this week. I was especially careful since I have other races coming up and I wanted to do a long run the next day, too. I certainly didn’t want a sprained ankle!

3. laurenweiner says:

So glad you are feeling better! The soaring temps have been a shock to the system, but I do love the warm weather!

It’s way hot here! Feels more like summer than March…

I sometimes think the beginning of the season is worse because you’re not yet used to it. By July, it is hotter but I’m so over it then I don’t care that I’m running even slower than usual.

4. Laura says:

So glad to hear you are feeling better, and smart to not double up Monday after some days off for that stomach bug. Good luck with upcoming 5k, and with all those bridge run prep workouts I think you will have a great race!

It felt great to sleep in on Monday (I didn’t sleep that well when I was sick, either, and this time change hasn’t helped much).

I plan to hit the bridge this week as well for another run there. You can’t beat training on the actual race course.

5. I love your close knit running group. That’s so great. Glad you are feeling better, lady!!

6. Elizabeth C. says:

You listened to your body, and waited until you were ready to run! I’m glad you are over that nasty stomach bug. Looks like a lot of nice workouts this week, and a fun race too. Looking forward to reading the report!

Well… on the days when I could not walk to the mailbox or make it up the stairs, I knew a run was certainly out of the question. But yes, I did listen to my body and avoid a lot of speedy paced running this week, besides the 800s (which really weren’t super speedy, just wanted to get the legs crusin’)

7. Pam says:

You seem to back in fine form after being ill for a few days and missing workouts. After reading about several ankle sprains it confirms my decision to avoid trails. While I love hiking, running through trails would make me too nervous. Have fun with family this week.

The thing about trails is that they vary so much, you just never know what you’ll get. A road course might have some potholes or cracks, but a trails course always varies.. from a packed dirt road that cars and trucks drive on, to big mud holes with lots of roots and wildlife.

8. Way to bounce back at it this week! So glad your feeling better! I really wish I coukd have made it to some of the group runs this week, it looked like fun!
    It also looks like summer started this week. Hello humidity and heat! Stay hydrated and hope you have a good training week!
    Oh and love your rock btw,
    ; )

They started announcing with 3rd place, so I got first pick at the rocks…

Group runs were good last week. FF is having a run on Wednesday this week, and then 105.5 Brew is doing one next week, Thursday night in Summerville. It’s nice to run different locations!

9. Angela says:

I hope you are feeling better!

10. I never think missing a run for illness is a bad thing – I think sometimes we want to push through but it often sets us back more in the long run (haha, pun intended).GREAT job listening to your body. I missed a whole entire week of training very early on in this round of training. I was upset with myself and panicked at the time (it was like week 3 or something) but I know now I made the right call. Resting and recovering when your body really needs it is critical!

Awesome job at the 5K! Love the rock!!!! So cool 🙂

Ha! I couldn’t walk to the mailbox, let alone run a 5K. I was waving the white flag last weekend… but honestly there are other races, races every weekend really.

Three days off running may have helped my legs heal a little, even though the rest of my body felt like poop.

11. HoHo Runs says:

Reading your blog makes me with wish we had more groups run around here. Fleet Feet does have some, but they are not convenient for my schedule. That is a very cute medal (and painted rock?) from Peyton’s 5k. It’s good to hear you are feeling better. I would have taken Monday off too! Thanks for linking with us Amy.

Yep- Peyton’s race did finisher’s medals for everyone and I love that. That way everyone gets something and it was well earned on that course regardless of time. I will put my medal on my Christmas tree.

12. thisrunnersrecipes says:

It sounds like you made the smart choice by skipping your Monday workout! That extra sleep is so important when coming off of illness. I’m glad your feeling better and great job on that trail race! I can’t even imagine pushing at 5K effort in mud.

Extra sleep is always good :). Sometimes I wish the group fitness classes were a little later than 6 AM… but that’s the only time I can swing it, so that’s when I go!

The race was muddy and sloshy- I’m still working on the recap. It’s weird to see the time on the clock read 24:xx when you’re used to 21:xx in a 5K… but that’s a trail race for ya, I guess.

13. Sounds like you hit the ground running after your sickness. I’m glad you are feeling better. Love how you have such a great group of people to run with and events! Look forward to hearing more about the trail run too! Thanks Amy for linking up with us!

You’re welcome, thank you for hosting it each week. We have a fun group of runners and triathletes here, everyone is so welcoming regardless of ability or skill level. that’s the best part!