Weekly Rundown: February 15-21

It was a great week of running, work, life, and celebrating Valentine’s Day- and here’s how it went,  I’m also linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link.

My goal this week was recovering from the Hilton Head Island Half Marathon. The week after a half marathon is always tricky for me, and I take it day by day. A 13.1 mile race is pretty taxing on the body and mind, and I’ve dealt with colds, fatigue, insomnia, and even mild depression the week after half marathons.

Funny-cat-drinking

Hilton Head Half recovery felt *much* easier than the Charleston Half Marathon. It was a harder course and faster time than Charleston, but I didn’t party after the race. Not sure if all the mimosas inhibited my race recovery at the Charleston half, or I just don’t have the tolerance I had in college.

The first few runs this week were hard and slower than usual (as to be expected), but I’m really glad the race didn’t kick my tail as badly as some have. Still, with no goal races on the horizon, I’d rather over recover than under recover.

Monday 60 minutes BodyPump + 60 minutes ArcTrainer
Tuesday 6.3 miles easy
Wednesday 60 minutes BodyPump + 5 miles easy
Thursday 6.3 miles easy
Friday No workout
Saturday 7.65 miles (Cooper River Bridge)
Sunday 10 miles
Total 35.25 miles + 2 hours BodyPump + 1 hour ArcTrainer

I went to BodyPump bright and early on Monday morning, but took it easy on the lower body tracks. I love 6 AM Monday class because it sets the tone for my week and I think it sets me up for success. I planned to run that evening but it rained so I hit Planet Fitness for the Arc Trainer instead.

On Wednesday, I went to the Fleet Feet Summerville Pub Run. The Asics wear testers were there and I tried out the Asics Fuze X, which felt great! The Asics Fuze X had cloud-like cushioning but the responsiveness of a racing flat. I don’t need shoes right now, but will consider these when I do. The extra cushioning felt good on my still-recovering feet.

12716126_898175793613376_5720011107694237608_o (1)

10550122_898176510279971_1258308218947812098_o (1)

The featured pub didn’t serve food, so the track regulars headed to Montreaux for drinks and food. I hadn’t been to Montreaux since before the holidays and forgot how good those fish tacos are. The wait was crazy so we all sat at the bar for a change.

IMG_20160217_203109

On Saturday, I headed to run the Cooper River Bridge. The Bridge Run is coming up in early April, so I expected it to be more crowded, but thankfully the bridge wasn’t packed!

I had a nice run then ended with a trip to Whole Foods for cinnamon raisin bread and went to the library to pick up some books I had on hold. I don’t browse the library a lot. Our library has a fun service where you can request books online and they pick them out and place them on the hold shelf for you, then there’s a self checkout. It’s convenient to run in, grab your books, check them out, and leave.

After a shower, Clay and I headed to one of our favorite West Ashley diners, Bluerose Cafe, for lunch. I tried the Bluerose Codfish Sandwich with green beans and it was delicious. Bluerose Cafe isn’t fancy or hip, but the prices are good and the servers are always sweet.

bluerose_sign

bluerose_cod_sandwich

On Sunday, I ran 10 miles with the OnShore Sunday crew. It was 60 degrees, 89% humidity, and sunny. Funny how hot 60 degrees feels in February and how cool it feels in September. We had a big crowd and some new people. I’ve missed the last two Sunday long runs (bad weather + staying in Hilton Head for the weekend), so I was glad to be running with friends this morning.

The run was good, but the last two miles felt pretty rough. Never underestimate how hard the first double-digit run after a half marathon feels!

After recovering, I headed to Mt. Pleasant for the Jammin for Jimi benefit, which was a silent auction and outdoor concert to benefit Jimi Beauston. He plays music at the Race the Landing 5K Series after parties each summer and was diagnosed with cancer. The benefit was a great cause, and $10 got you a concert and lunch. Plus the raffle and silent auction prizes were SWEET and most of us walked away with something.

IMG_20160221_163144

Lisa Deaton from Race the Landing and Lorcan from Lucey Mortgage Company did a great job of organizing and we had fun enjoying the beautiful weather (63 degrees and ocean breeze in February) and listening to the music.

12715457_10153914370201250_4634030883624444965_n

The concert/benefit was a great way to end the week. I hope everyone has a good Monday and your week’s off to a good start too.

This entry was posted in Fleet Feet Pub Run, Fleet Feet Summerville, Friends, Half Marathon, Hilton Head Island, Hilton Head Island Marathon, Mt Pleasant, Race the Landing, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Weekly Rundown: February 15-21

1. laurenweiner says:

I think you had an awesome recovery week. I don’t even want to see another double digit run for a LONG time after a half. 🙂

2. Sharon says:

Sounds like a great recovery week! I also take advantage of putting things on hold at the library! It makes for a nice quick trip. Have a good week!

3. Nice week in training, and fun pictures! I wish I could find a 6:00am BodyPump class — it’d rock my world, actually<3 Have an awesome rest of the week!

4. HoHo Runs says:

It’s wonderful your recovery went smoothly this time. But, that’s still an impressive amount of miles for a recovery week. It’s great the library will put books on hold for you. I’m going to check into that. I wish the running shoe testers would come around here. I’d like to try the Fuze X. I adore your moderation picture! Thanks for linking with us Amy.

You’re welcome- and thank you for responding and hosting the linkup. The Fuse X was a really good shoe. I’ll have to admit I’ve never really considered Asics because they are a bit heavy to me, but this one was much lighter and felt great. The shoe testers come to the Fleet Feet runs every month. It is a different brand each month.

5. BAH HA HA HA AH AH! THAT CAT is hysterical!!! I would be saying that about EATING! 😉

6. Christine says:

Yes to the 60 degrees feeling hot right now comment! I was definitely feeling those warmer temps on Sunday. It was 70 degrees when I ran, but overall I felt much better than I felt in those temps last fall, so improvements maybe? Either way, this weather has been beautiful and I’m glad it’s not 30 degrees and raining anymore!

Crazy how easy your recovery was this time versus Charleston. The mimosas may have had something to do with it.

7. Ha love the cat picture! Made me smile! What a recovery week for you, I’m glad you race turned out well. What is next on the schedule for you? I’d be just tickled pink with a decent running store in my town. That event at Fleet Feet does sound interesting. I’ve wore Asics before and I’d like to take another look at them! Thank you Amy for linking up with us! Have a great week!

8. Pam says:

You certainly nailed your recovery this time. You are such a wise runner listening to your body and not overdoing things. I could take a few lessons from you. It sounds like your local Fleet Feet really does some great events in Charleston. We have a FF here, but it seems like I am either busy, or out of town when they offer something I would like to attend.

I love our Summerville Fleet Feet. It is fairly new but they have done a great job at growing our local running community on this side of Charleston.

I try not to overdo things, but I try not to under-do, either. You never know what you’re capable of (mileage or workout wise) until you try- but there’s no shame in pulling the plug on a run or workout if you need to! It sure beats an injury pulling the plug on ALL your training!

9. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Great job on your recovery week! I feel the same way about alcohol and recovery – a few too many celebratory drinks makes that post-race soreness a little more evident. Also, this is the second post I’ve read today that mentioned cinnamon raisin bread and now I realllllly want a slice! Hope you’re having a good week of training!

10. Elizabeth C. says:

Great week! I love that you have the awareness to know to take it easy after a half marathon. It sounds like you are really in tune with your body, but also that you are starting to recover faster, which means your fitness is increasing!