Weekly Rundown: February 8-14

Happy Monday everyone! The recap will be short because it’s been a busy week in non-blogging real life and in running life. I’m also linking up with Holly at Hohoruns and Tricia at MississippiPiddlin‘ for their weekly wrap link.

Last week, my friend Joyce invited me to Hilton Head to join her, Darrell and Tracy (who I also met at the Save the Light Half Marathon last year) and some other friends. They rented a home on the island for the weekend to run the Hilton Head Island Marathon races.

I committed to the race last Friday, won a sponsored entry on Tuesday, then found out a good friend was starting chemo for cancer on Wednesday. The running and triathlon crowd is coming together to help Anne with whatever she needs. Iron Anne is a rockstar runner and triathlete and will beat this cancer. I have offered to help and mentally dedicated my race to her on Saturday.

Some days, running for a cause and passion trumps training, and Hilton Head Half Marathon was one of those days.

Monday 60 minutes BodyPump + 6 miles (Parking Garages)
Tuesday 6.35 miles easy
Wednesday 60 minutes BodyPump + 5.7 miles (Track/Intervals)
Thursday 4.1 miles easy
Friday No workout
Saturday Hilton Head Half Marathon (1:38:28, new PR) + tons of walking
Sunday 4 miles recovery
Total 39.25 miles + 2 BodyPump classes

I ran 2 workouts this week before the race. On Monday, I ran my first garage run in several months. The run is approximately 6 miles including running up and down 6 different parking garages in downtown Charleston. We had a nice crowd for the run and all stayed together. Some of the guys sprint the uphills of the garages to make it a speed workout. We timed the run just right to miss the rain.

The weather was freezing our Wednesday track workout! Most everyone follows Run Less, Run Faster, so we just use those workouts. This was a decreasing ladder of 1200, 1000, 800, 600, 400, 200 intervals. My favorite part about the workout was the 200m recoveries instead of standing rest, because the jog recoveries kept everyone from standing around and getting too cold.

IMG_20160210_184914-001

Tuesday and Thursday were easy days (as usual), and I took Friday off to sleep in, relax, pack, and travel to Hilton Head. It was my first road trip in my new-to-me car which was exciting, even if I had to take some detours and traffic was bad on the island.

Saturday was the Hilton Head Half Marathon, and I’ll write more about it this week. Hilton Head Island is a golf and beach resort town. Bike and walking/running paths line the main street through the city, and it’s very active, healthy area. Hilton Head has great shopping too- hello, outlet mall! I really enjoyed it and plan to visit again.

IMG_20160213_131027

On Sunday, I ran a short recovery run on the island before eating breakfast with the group and heading back to Charleston. I got home around 1:30, took a much-needed nap, then headed out to celebrate Valentine’s Day with Clay.

We celebrated by having a candlelit dinner at the Waffle House, as that’s our tradition. An omelet, raisin toast, and hash browns makes a great romantic meal!

IMG_20160214_172952_01-2

I hope everyone has a great week and stays warm, dry, and healthy!

This entry was posted in Half Marathon, Holidays, Married Life, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Weekly Rundown: February 8-14

1. Hollie says:

I look forward to reading about your new PR, Amy. Two workouts beforehand too? You crushed last week.

2. laurenweiner says:

Can’t wait to hear about the PR!

3. My thoughts and prayers are going out to Anne! She is iron man strong and has a great support system ,which will help in ways words cant express!!! Please let me know I can be of any help to her and her family.
    I am also looking forward to a race recap!!

Anne is great! I am trying to think if you met her, she does a lot of the Race the Landing events and is good friends with Lisa, Tami, and some others in the track crew. You know we all come together to help each other out and will be there for her!

4. wanderwolf says:

Wow! Congrats on the PR! Especially after not really taking it easy, before hand. I can’t wait for the recap!
    Also, I love how you and your husband celebrate. Too cute.

5. Theresa says:

Mmmmmmm. Waffles. 🙂

6. I love your Valentines tradition of eating by candle light at the Waffle House! Wow that is just awesome! I bet you get some looks huh? I actually love WH. I mean where else can you get all that food that comes with the All-Star Special for under $7???? Do you get the waffles what’s your favorite kind?? I love the colors of the Hilton Head medal! Congratulations!!! Appreciate you linking back up with us Amy!

7. HoHo Runs says:

I love Waffle House, especially after a race! How cool you go there and eat by candlelight. I assume you take your own candle. Congratulations on your incredible finish time at Hilton Head. It’s very sweet you dedicated your run to Anne. I hope she is doing well. I’m curious, why are there two medals? Is one for an award? Thanks for linking up with us Amy!

When you make the Valentine’s Day reservation, they seat you at a decorated booth with a candle. It’s all a part of the experience!

One medal is for finishing and one is for winning my age group. I really wasn’t expecting to win my age group. I guess all the fast people ran the marathon 🙂

8. Woot! Congrats on your new 13.1 PR! Can’t wait to read more about it. Interesting that your running group follows Run Less, Run Faster. I used to follow the plan and had a pretty good marathon (come to think of it, it was my PR) using it, but a coach laughed at me when I told him that’s the plan I was using. Glad to hear it works for others, too! Sorry to hear about your friend’s diagnosis; hope she’s doing ok.

A lot of the people who do track on Wednesday night are triathletes, so RLRF works really well for them. If you have biking and swimming it is hard to fit in more than 3 runs a week anyway, and those are the cross training activities. A few aren’t triathletes but like gym classes to cross train. For those of us who aren’t, the suggested speed workouts in it are all about 5-6 miles total and work for the hour we have the track.

While RLRF isn’t for me as far as training plans go, it’s working for some of my friends. Different things work for different people; everyone has different life situations and circumstances. They’ve run sub-4 hour marathons and one friend BQed following it. And hey, if what you are doing is working and resulting in faster times… why change?

The coach probably wanted your business.