Weekly Rundown: January 25-31

After last week’s recovery week, I dove back into training this week. I got a lot of cross training and strength training in as well.

For several reasons, I ran 5 days this week:

• I didn’t want to jump from 4 to 6 days of running in one week.
  • I had some quality workouts and a “race-out” Charlie Post 5K scheduled.
  • I didn’t want my mileage to jump from 25 (recovery week) into the 40s (usual training volume).

I’m not a risk taker; I like to think long-term and not risk getting hurt. I don’t know the secret to speed, but I’ve learned that weeks off due to injury is a sure way to slower race times.

I’m also watching my nutrition and logging food in My Fitness Pal. It’s neat seeing what my calories and macros look like, and I think some tweaks might help my running. For someone whose only meat consumption is seafood, I always meet my protein and fat goals. I guess this is from being a vegetarian all those years and people asking where I got protein. Now, I’m hyper-aware of making sure I get enough protein- maybe at the expense of getting all the carbs I need. I’m trying to find more ways to incorporate healthy carbs into my diet!

Monday: BodyPump + 8 miles (treadmill with cruise intervals)

Tuesday: 60 minutes Arc Trainer

Wednesday: BodyPump + 5.25 miles (track/intervals)

Thursday: 6.2 miles (unintentionally progressive)

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 7.25 miles, including Charlie Post 5K (21:27)

Sunday: 10 miles

Total: 36.7 miles, 2 hours BodyPump, 1 Hour ArcTrainer

My workouts this week were all over the place because that’s how half marathon recovery goes. Some days you run a 5K and every mile split is under 7 min/mile, and other days a 9 min/mile easy pace feels like death. I’m trusting the process.

Monday’s treadmill wasn’t too bad, as I zoned out and watched trashy TV the whole time, but added in some intervals to get the legs moving. I headed back to the gym on Tuesday to ArcTrainer after work, so I’m getting my $10 per month out of my Planet Fitness membership.

Wednesday’s track workout was pretty rough. I pulled a workout from Run Less, Run Faster’s half marathon plan. It was 5 miles, including a 1 mile warmup, followed by 400 – 600 – 800 – 1200 – 800 – 600 – 400, a 1 mile cooldown, and a blurry Kelfie (Kendall takes the selfie = Kelfie).

1915446_10153909361448185_9010369872150553327_n

All the intervals were slower than I’d hoped for, and I could not hit my 5K pace until after the 1200 (I got faster as the workout progressed). I could tell it was my first track workout in a few weeks.

After track, we headed to Icehouse for recovery beverages and food, where I had a really delicious Greek salad. I entered it into My Fitness Pal and realized I probably needed more carbs. Oops.

I took Friday off working out and Clay and I went out to eat at Poogan’s Porch. I started out with the argula salad, and for my entree, I had the crispy skin snapper with white cheddar grits, sauteed greens and radishes.

IMG_20160129_182836

IMG_20160129_184635

Poogan’s Porch also has the most wonderful biscuits! I highly recommend it if you’re ever in Downtown Charleston and looking for good southern food (I’m usually not even a fan of southern food).

On Saturday, my legs seemed to find the “pop” that’s been missing all week. I ran the Charlie Post Classic 5K and finished in 21:27. I was 6th female overall and 2nd place in my age group.

IMG_20160130_095221 - Copy

I showed up at the race with ZERO goals and expectations and really surprised myself. Maybe not hitting my goal paces on Wednesday night was my body’s subtle way of conserving some of that energy for Saturday, but I had a great race. It was not a personal record, but it was my first 5K where all my mile splits were under 7:00 min/mile (6:49, 6:50, 6:53).

The Charlie Post Classic 5K did not have free mimosas after the race like the Charleston Marathon, but on the drive home, I found a garage sale that did. I drank a mimosa, bought a cookbook, and talked to the seller, who was selling EVERYTHING so he could move to Europe. Offering free mimosas at your yard sale is a great way to get business because I felt guilty drinking his booze and had to buy something.

IMG_20160130_121354

Since I only ran a 5K and did not need to replenish many calories, I limited myself to one mimosa.

On Sunday, I did a long run with some friends, running through The Citadel campus and then the usual 8 mile downtown route. I took it nice and easy and we had some fun conversations. It was a great maintenance long run while I figure out my training and racing goals for the Spring.

I hope everyone has a great week!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Weekly Rundown: January 25-31

1. wanderwolf says:

Sounds like you had a really great week. The free mimosas are a great idea!
    Also, congrats on the speedy 5K. Consistency at that speed is a good sign that you’re likely going to be able to go faster soon. 🙂

2. Wow that’s a lot of miles! You go girl! Are you training for a half marathon?

Thank you! I am not training for anything specifically right now, but I race 5K-Half. This week was rebounding from the Charleston Half Marathon which was a little over 2 weeks ago.

3. laurenweiner says:

Mimosas at a yard sale? What a fantastic idea!

4. I think you’re very smart to not to take risks with jumping back into high mileage! You have said before that running will always be there if you have to take a break of cut back, and I love that you’re cool about that! I always think about you saying that because it’s just so wise not only in running but other things in life, too!

Great job on your 5k!! You continue to amaze me!

Agreed- and it’s just running. It shouldn’t add stress to life! This truly is a lifelong sport, and I hope to be running well into my older years. I’d rather not burn out now.

5. great job this weekend chica!!!!! AND if you take in account that this was gun timed and not chip timed, you technically hit a PR of 21:19 (we were 8 seconds from the clock)
    also, who can resist FREE mimosas at a yard sale? awesome!!!!!!
    keep up your hard work and being smart with training-it is all paying off!!!!!
    you rock!!!!!!!

Thanks! I do think it could have been a PR since it took us some seconds to cross the start and because I’m horrible at starting and stopping the Garmin (I started when the race gun went off, not when we crossed the start). But either way, it was a breakthrough race, which is really what counts.

You did amazing and congrats on being a paid athlete once again!

6. Kara says:

That’s an amazing idea – free mimosas at a garage sale! Genius. Good for him though, assuming moving to Europe is big dream of his! Also, this quote made me laugh: “I’ve learned that weeks off due to injury is a sure way to slower race times”. SO TRUE! I’ve learned this the hard way…over and over again :/ I need to take your advice!

Yeah- part of me thinks he may have had to get rid of some of the alcohol too, so this was a perfect way to do that as well. He definitely had a lot of takers on the mimosa.

7. Great job last week! I did a ladder workout too, and I saw someone else posted about one. I think it was the week for ladders 🙂 I like that you are easing yourself up to your regular volume. It is really good to get your body adapted to training because you are so right – weeks off from injury is certainly not the way to build speed!

Yeah, especially since I don’t have a goal race right now. I’m still debating some 5Ks and which ones I want to focus on. I’d rather over-recover than over-reach in training and be stale on race day.

8. I find that recovery weeks are a little all over the place too. And that track workout from RLRF is quite possibly my least favorite of them all! 🙂 All of the changes in distance always get me! Hope you have a great week Amy!

I’m not really a RLRF follower (my training seems to be the exact opposite but hey, it’s working)… but I do love the speed workouts! Each workout is about 3 miles long and perfect for my own training.

The changes in distance are also hard to explain sometimes when you’re at the track, especially the 600M one.

9. Hey, nice job with the three sub-7 miles in the 5k! And it’s (almost) always better to be safe than sorry when running, so I think it was a good decision to take another week to build up your mileage after your recovery week. 🙂

Thank you! I agree, it did take me longer to physically recover from the Charleston Half too. Every race is different, and as cliche as it is, you have to listen to your body.

10. Hollie says:

That’s awesome you were able to surprise yourself at the race. It sounds like it was a great race. I’ve found for no reason, I recover better from some races and not others. I recovered well from Carlsbad but there have been some half marathons it has taken me weeks to recover.

You’re right- and it’s so weird! I would have thought it would take me longer to recover from my Bridge 2 Bridge Half since that involved 3 bridges. Charleston was FLAT- but it took me longer to recover. It varies a lot, just gotta listen to your body in the weeks after.

11. Wow! Your amazing ! Keep it up and you can accomplish whatever goals you make.😃

12. I am so impressed with your mileage and this is a lower mileage week for you too! That is amazing! I think this would get me to stop at the garage sale for sure and I would feel guilty too if I didn’t buy something! What a great marketing tool, right? I’ve always wanted to go to Charleston it is on my bucketlist! Headed on over to check out your last recap! I see that you linked on my page. #WeeklyWrap and I do hope you’ll make it a habit!

13. I find that if I’m not hitting the paces I want it’s usually my body’s way of conserving energy for something else! I have had to “trust the training” a lot this cycle as I work a lot and have missed some workouts. It sounds like you had a good week overall though! And that food looks awesome- I’m a huge fan of southern food so I would love a place like that!

14. HoHo Runs says:

Welcome to the Weekly Wrap! The snapper with grits looks delicious! I do like southern food. That is marketing genius on the part of the yard sale homeowner! Who wouldn’t stop for a mimosa? Congratulations on your 5k finish time and age group placement. I hope to see you here again next week, Amy!

15. Mimosas are a GENIUS way to get folks to a garage sale! I’ve never seen that before! And I’m glad you indulged!

You’re speedy. I can only hope to get my times down there. My current 5K sits at 24:40, but my focus lately has been on my long distance runs, not building speed for my 5Ks. Ah well – I’ll get there eventually!

Thanks for linking up again! 🙂

I am working on my speed :). But honestly, all of my speed comes from training for long distances. I’m not one who can run 25-30 miles a week and run fast. I do much better with aerobic training. From the training logs you post, I bet you could go way lower in a 5K if you took a few weeks to focus more on speed, during the off season for longer distances :).

16. Congrats on your 5K! That’s an incredible time! Sounds like a competitive field at this race.