Weekly Rundown: January 11-17

This week’s theme: Give a little less in training, so you can give a little more on race day.

Monday: BodyPump + 6 miles

Tuesday: 5.15 miles + 20 minutes yoga/stretching

Wednesday: BodyPump + 5 miles (track)

Thursday: 4 miles + 20 minutes yoga/stretching

Friday: No workout

Saturday: Charleston Half Marathon (1:39:59)

Sunday: 4 miles recovery

Total: 37.35 miles, 2 BodyPump classes, 40 minutes yoga

Homeowner Problem #32619: Our family managed to survive last week with nothing breaking, but we weren’t so lucky this week.

Monday morning at 5 AM, I heated up my breakfast, closed the microwave door, and the microwave hummed. Each time I closed the door, it hummed and wouldn’t stop. Clay got up and we tried slamming the door and other remedies, but nothing worked. We finally left the door open. Now, the microwave buzzes unless the door is open or we unplug it, which means we leave the door open because the plug-in outlet is inside a cabinet above the stove (I can’t reach it).

I still headed to BodyPump and had a great workout. I’m not a Clemson fan, but I used an orange yoga mat since their football team played in the NCAA National Championship.

IMG_20160111_055941

On Monday evening, I ran 6 miles on the treadmill then watched the championship with Virginia and Brent until halftime, when I went home and soon fell asleep. These 8:30 Monday football games are tough when you wake up at 5 AM.

For Wednesday track, I did the same workout that I ran the week of the Historic Georgetown Bridge to Bridge Half Marathon. It consisted of a 1 mile warmup, 8 x 400m, 1 mile tempo, 1 mile cooldown. We took a slightly blurry selfie.

12573010_10153880604848185_4653604693573640224_n (1)

I had great splits for my 400s, even though I “lost” one on my Garmin when I was resetting it (no lights at the track!). My tempo was also pretty solid but a little faster than I would’ve liked. Only I would complain with a fast run. It was a bit chilly but perfect running weather.

After the track workout, Tami and I went to Charleston Bakery and Delicatessen for desserts to go. The name is misleading because the bakery is located in Summerville, but the desserts are worth the drive. I got a salted caramel brownie and she got a red velvet cheesecake.

My brownie was good, but I had major dessert envy over Tami’s cheesecake. It was a huge slice and looked delicious.

IMG_20160113_193105

I took off work on Friday to go to the Charleston Marathon expo, where I picked up my race packet and bib. I also bought a few shirts at the expo, because I love the Charleston Marathon long-sleeved tech shirts. Who needs Fabletics, StitchFix, or expensive gear when you can set PRs in a race shirt and a pair of $10 outlet shorts?

IMG_20160116_070313

It rained heavily, and this was my first time driving my new-to-me Mazda 3 in the rain. It also flooded outside the school where packet pick up/expo was held, so I was super nervous driving in the rain and the flooded streets downtown. My car must be part submarine, but all was fine. The flooding receeded before Saturday’s race.

I went to Mt. Pleasant to eat lunch at Water Dog Grill with Clay. Water Dog is near his job and one of his favorite restaurants- they have tons of TVs for football watching, and the staff knows his name as soon as he walks in. I had a grilled mahi and veggie wrap with sweet potato fries, and it was a fun carb-loading lunch!

IMG_20160115_132933

On Saturday, I ran the Charleston Half Marathon. This was my goal race for the month, and I had a pretty lofty goal of sub-1:40. I achieved that goal by ONE SECOND! I was upset when I crossed the finish and saw 1:40 on the clock, then I checked the results and saw 1:39:59. I wasn’t right at the starting line so my chip time made up for those few seconds.

This was a 1:44 second PR for me (1:41:43 > 1:39:59), and I will blog about the race later this week. I hung out at the finish for a few hours, caught up with friends, and saw the marathoners come in.

IMG_20160116_102847

On Sunday, I ran a 4 mile recovery run around the neighborhood, where I bought a World’s Finest chocolate bar from a kid selling them for a school trip to Washington, DC. It was nice to shake my legs out after the half, but I’m still mentally and physically fatigued. Besides that, we did some things around the house on Sunday.

As for what’s next, I’m running the Charlie Post 5K on January 30, but I’ll spend this week recovering from the half with easy runs and cross training.

I hope everyone has a great week!

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Charleston Marathon, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Weekly Rundown: January 11-17

1. runner1313 says:

Well done! You must be super happy about your performance.

Thank you. I’m pretty stoked.

Before the race, I was standing in the bathroom line with Liz, the 2:30 half pacer. I told her I was pacing the 1:40 group, but there was no 1:40 group… I was just going to run that time.

So. Ironic.

Did you have fun pacing?

2. Nice job on the half marathon! I’m looking forward to reading your recap. 🙂

Enjoy your recovery week! You definitely earned it!

3. Congratulations!! That was a true example of how a second can make a huge difference. And the pictures of food you posted here is making me hungry even though I just ate!!!

I can’t imagine how overweight I would be if I didn’t work out because I live in a city with some wonderful food. If you run for food or beer, Charleston is the city for you…

4. wanderwolf says:

woo hoo!! Congrats on the PR. 🙂

5. Theresa says:

Congrats on your PR!!!!

6. Margaret says:

Congrats! How awesome to hit your goal right on. 🙂

7. laurenweiner says:

Congrats on the PR! That’s awesome!

8. Pam says:

Congrats on that big PR and going sub 1:40. That is amazing and you must be thrilled. Hard work really does pay off at races. So glad your new car is running well, but too bad about the microwave oven. It seems like lots of things have been breaking at your house lately. Hopefully this is a better week!

Thanks Pam!

My microwave is fixed. I don’t know what was wrong, but I was heating something up and closed the door, and it is no longer buzzing. It looks like that buys us some time before we have to replace it.

I saw a few members of your Without Limits Wilmington crowd this weekend at the race, too! Tom is really promoting Wrightsville Beach and really wants runners. Seems like a fun race.

9. Woohoo, PR! And even cooler you JUST got it – that’s so much better than JUST missing it. Way to go Amy Lauren. Hmm your microwave situation seems weird – any updates on that? Have a great week!

10. Holy crap lady, your new PR! Ahhhhh! CONGRATS!!!! I am so excited to read that recap. Breaking 1:40 is HUGGEEE and that is a HUGE PR! You earned that. You train hard and SMART. Love your words of wisdom for the week, by the way. I really need to take those to heart! I also have dessert envy of that cheesecake, but I bet your brownie was equally as delicious. Now I want all of the dessert. Ugh. Haha! I hope you have a great week and you keep riding the PR high. Can’t wait to read about it.

Thank you! I barely broke 1:40, but I did get 13.24 on my Garmin, so I guess it wasn’t as “barely” as the results say. My average pace was a bit faster than my last half.

I really do try to train smart. I think it is easy to train too hard and get caught up in paces. Consistency is *always* the biggest factor :).

11. congratulations on your new PR! I wish I were that speedy! I’m gunning for a new half marathon PR in two weeks and am nervous as all get out! Eeeeeek! Gonna go find your race recap now and check it all out! 🙂

Thanks for linking up again last week – hope to see you this week too!

Thanks- you aren’t exactly slow yourself! You will get there, consistency is key :). Don’t be too nervous, I think that can make us tense before races… just relax, it is just running and you do it most every day (more days than not)… so you will be fine.