Weekly Rundown: January 4-10

It’s almost go time for the Charleston Half Marathon!

If I can survive a 50 mile week, buying two cars, a hard drive replacement, holding down the fort at work, and getting very little sleep, a 1:40 or better half marathon is within my reach. Luckily, I didn’t have to deal with most of that this week, but I could still use a bit more sleep.

Monday: 60 minutes BodyPump + 6 miles (parking garages)

Tuesday: 6.2 miles

Wednesday: 30 minutes Arc Trainer + 20 minutes yoga + 6 miles (track/speedwork)

Thursday: No workout.

Friday: 6.25 miles (4 mile treadmill tempo)

Saturday: 10 miles

Sunday: 9 miles

Total: 43.45 miles, 1 BodyPump class, 30 minutes Arc Trainer + 20 minutes yoga.

More training, less talking = Not much to say this week. My lack of sleep got to me on Wednesday, and I missed 6 AM BodyPump. I hope the extra hour of sleep was worth missing an early morning workout. Since the guilt got to me, I ended up cross training later.

That evening, we ran a track workout that consisted of a 1600m, 2 x 800m, 4 x 400m, and 4 x 200m with 200 float recoveries. Once you factor in warmup and cooldown, it was a total of 6 miles with 4 miles of hard running and a very blurry kelfie (Kelfie= Selfie taken by Kendall).

935_10153865657973185_4879361287722270117_n

All of us started running at the same time, and the amount of time you had between when you finished and we started the next exercises, was your amount of recovery. In other words, the faster you ran, the more recovery you got. I ran as hard as I could during the intervals (which wasn’t super fast based on my race times and how fast the others ran), but recovered super quickly.

I’m pretty sure I have zero fast-twitch muscle fibers and qualify as an endurance beast.

On Thursday, Clay and I went on a weeknight date night to Circa 1886, a super fancy, 4-star, restaurant in Downtown Charleston. It’s Charleston Restaurant Week, which is the only time we can afford places like Circa 1886. I had the scallops for my main course.

IMG_20160107_190411

While the food was good, the S’mores Dessert was the dish that blew me away. I’d recommend Circa 1886 for a great value during Charleston Restaurant Week, as they didn’t skimp on portions. Not that I go there often to know what the portions usually are, but Clay and I both left full.

Date night was fun, and I enjoyed it. But I’m a simple person and fancy restaurants just aren’t for me. In the end, it’s just food. I was spending time with Clay, and I’m okay with a date night at Circa 1886 or Waffle House (I draw the line at fast food, though).

IMG_20160107_193253

On Saturday, I ran 10 miles around Mt. Pleasant, including the Cooper River Bridge. A lot of runners were out on Saturday morning because everyone is getting in those last runs before the Charleston Marathon races, or training for the Charlie Post Classic or Peyton’s Wild and Wacky. Those running the Boston Marathon are beginning their training cycles, too.

The temperature was great, but the fog was so crazy that I couldn’t see the bridge’s columns or inclines. Even though I couldn’t see the incline all the time, my legs still felt it. David who blogs at DoomBuggyRunner was out that morning too, and he took this picture of the bridge.

img_5238-001

On Sunday, I ran a warmup mile, then 8 miles with the OnShore Racing Sunday group. Again, lots of people are training for something, so we had a big crowd. We all posed for a picture by the Charleston Marathon truck since the race is this weekend. The race director, Howie, runs with our Sunday group and it’s always fun to see the big marathon truck pull up to Hampton Park.

946125_473308006190217_8954285108882691085_n

Since the half marathon is this week, this week will be all about rest, recovery, race strategizing, and a few tune-up runs before Saturday. I have a few goals, with the #1 goal always crossing hte finish line injury-free and smiling. Still, I’m excited to race in my city and earn the fun finisher’s medal, no matter what happens.

Happy Monday, everyone!

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Charleston Marathon, Training Log and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Weekly Rundown: January 4-10

1. Hollie says:

Seriously what a week you had!

Good luck with the half marathon Amy. You’ve been working hard to achieve that goal so I’m excited to see how it goes for you.

That smores dessert looks amazing. I like Restaurant weeks (we actually have one in Philly soon) but they do get extremely crowded!

The restaurant was a bit busy and noisy. We got there at 6 and it wasn’t crowded, but it was packed when we left. I think I would have enjoyed a quieter meal a bit more.

I’m still getting used to the new car, but it’s great so far.

2. Good luck on Saturday!

3. wanderwolf says:

Hope you have a much better week! And that you get that important sleep.
    Just out of curiosity (since I’m doing a half on Saturday too), what are you doing, workout wise, this week? Is it a PR goal race for you? I have little idea of what I’m doing, so I reach out to you 🙂

First off, I’m not a certified or trained running coach. In fact, I’m not certified or trained in much of anything- so all advice will be completely personal or based on what I’ve read ;).

I wouldn’t do anything new this week, or suggest anything new, unless Saturday’s a goal race for you. Then, you will possibly have a new pace, personal record, or personal distance record… those are great new things to have on race day. New foods or clothes are not great new things to have on race day.

My best advice is to look at what you’ve done before previous races and see what’s worked and what hasn’t. This is why keeping a detailed training log is important. My personal plan is to do “a little less” all week to give “a little more” on Saturday. In other words, easier/shorter easy days, and fewer “hard miles” on Wednesday at track. I don’t plan to any more complete rest days than usual, as complete rest just makes my legs feel flat and it’s hard to get going.

Besides that, I’ll try to get good sleep all week, use a pace calculator to write out a little race plan/checklist, and review my training log because looking back at my training the night before a race makes me confident that I’ve done the work and the race is more of a victory lap.

Hope that helps!

• wanderwolf says:

It does! Especially considering that you’re still doing your Wednesday night track, but not as hard.
        I know you’re not paid to give advice, nor necessarily qualified (though experience counts for something), but I appreciate the response! A reminder to look at my training log is a good idea… And of course, nothing new!!

4. runner1313 says:

See you in a few short days! Sounds like you are ready to go. Is the weather still looking good for Saturday? Early on it looked like rain, then it changed to sunny and 60 for a high. Haven’t looked the last few days, but hoping for a warmer run than two years ago, and WAY less wind! I’ve put in my training miles, so pacing the 4:00 should be a ton of fun! Have a great week!

By 6 AM Saturday rolls around, and it’s time for me to pick out my race outfit, I’ll be pretty sure of the weather.

I try not to obsess over it because weather’s not something I can control, and if you train in all types of weather (minus dangerous weather), you’re ready for whatever race day brings.

This is Charleston, so there’s a 100% chance humidity will be involved.

5. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Good luck with your half marathon! That fog is crazy – we had similar stuff this week and could barely see the road. Happy Monday!

6. Ahh I am so excited for you! I can’t wait to read about your race. That sounds like a very strong track workout. I think I’ll save this idea. I feel like we are the same: endurence beast with zero fast twitch fibers and I am a super simple gal who doesn’t do fancy either. I usually feel way out of place at a high class restaurant. But, that dessert might be worth it. 😉 Happy Monday Amy!

I tell everyone I am an endurance beast. All of my speed comes from the fact that I run a lot of miles- except some of these track workouts and hills are starting to bring it out.

I felt very out of place at Circa 1886, but I’m glad I got the experience of going. It’s good to try new things and get out of your comfort zone sometimes. However, my comfort zone is a lot more budget friendly so I think I’ll stick with the restaurants that are in my usual price range ;).

7. SOLID week!!!!
    Love the pic of the bridge and OMG! That smore!!!!!!!!!
    Weather should be perfect on race day and NOT in below freezing temps like it was 2 years ago!!!!
    Just hope the wind stays calm and we both have stellar races and see some speedy times on the clock!!!!
    : )

I’m hoping the weather is good- a lot can change between now and Saturday. I am a little worried about that rain on Friday, as usually the forecasts are a day or so off this early in the week (I used to obsessively track the weather, pre-race). Depending on the direction of the wind, the half could be a very fast race.

8. laurenweiner says:

Good luck!!!! Hope the weather cooperates 🙂

9. KrisLawrence says:

Wishing you an amazing Half Marathon! You are ready!

10. Megan says:

What a week you’ve had, for real! You’ve got this race on lock if you can survive all that, too! Good luck!

Thanks for linking up! I hope to see you again in future weeks! 🙂

11. Wow girl, you are amazing.
    I don’t know how you do it all.
    Full time job, blogging, and at least one, if not two hard workouts a day.

Working from home helps big time. I would never be able to fit all of this in with a commute, but I do work out before and after work on Wednesdays. If I didn’t, I’m not sure when I’d ever see other humans…