Weekly Rundown: December 28 – January 3

What a week. When it rains, it pours, and in that case, the Scott-Lundy household flooded this week.

I mentioned last week that my laptop’s hard drive died, and Clay has replaced it for me (Yay for marrying a techie). I salvaged most of my pictures since they were online, but I lost my iTunes playlists and some other documents I didn’t back up. Let this be a lesson to everyone… make backups frequently!

On Wednesday morning, I took my 2001 Honda Accord in to have it looked at since it wasn’t running well. Turns out, my transmission was on the way out, and I needed to pay $1600+ to have it replaced or rebuilt, or buy another car. My car was operable, but we didn’t know how much longer that would be the case.

IMG_20151230_152730

Wednesday night during track, Clay texted me that his car’s AC went out. Normally a broken car AC wouldn’t be a problem in December, except that Charleston’s had record-breaking heat this week. After a few hours at the car lot, Clay purchased a brand new 2015 Honda CR-V on New Year’s Eve. Instead of partying, we ate a frozen pizza and went to bed.

IMG_20151231_155635

On Saturday, my parents came down and Clay and I met up with them to test drive some cars. We had a successful trip, but I like to sleep on and run on important decisions. On Sunday afternoon, I put on my real girl clothes, bargained like crazy, wrote the check, and purchased a new-to-me Mazda 3 Hatchback.

1917786_826349417813_5828713837561247618_n

Not only do I own a car that runs well, I’m injury-free and can handle a decent training week. This was “peak week” for the Charleston Half Marathon on January 16, and here it goes!

Monday: 60 minutes BodyPump + 8 miles (treadmill/intervals)

Tuesday: 7 miles easy

Wednesday: 60 minutes BodyPump + 7 miles (track/speedwork)

Thursday: No workout- Car shopping!

Friday: 7.1 miles, including Race the Landing New Year’s 5K (22:22)

Saturday: 8.1 miles easy

Sunday: 13 miles

Total: 50.2 miles + 2 BodyPump Classes

Last week’s cutback was short-lived, so I hit the ground running, or BodyPumping, on Monday morning, then ran on the treadmill for a bit that afternoon and threw in some intervals. I don’t treadmill much, but it gets dark early and I wanted to use Planet Fitness before it gets packed in January.

On Wednesday, after dealing with car woes, I ran a track workout with the usual trackletes. The workout I did was 1 mile warmup, 10 x 600m with 200m recovery, and 1 mile cooldown. It ended up being about 7 miles total, so it was a bit long and I was the last person to finish. I still finished and my legs felt it!

12239876_10153607291661708_6120071279200885893_n_thumb.jpg

After track, we went to Triangle Char-N-Bar Summerville. I gave it a second chance, but I am still not a fan. They were out of the salad I wanted, and the waiter went back to check again to find out they were surely out. The kitchen ended up making me a special salad, which was great, but everyone was ready to go when I got my food to eat. It was a stressful meal to end a stressful day and I brought most of my food home. The last time I was there, Triangle messed up my order, so it’s safe to say I’ll stick to the West Ashley location. My salad was delicious, though- I’ll give them that much!

triangle

On Friday, I ran the Race the Landing New Year’s 5K. It was raining, I was stressed over car problems, and I slept poorly on New Year’s Eve. I live outside the City of Charleston, and fireworks are allowed here… my neighbors made sure we knew. I did a “race-out” (race as a workout) and finished in 22:22.

Race the Landing is a beautiful but a slow course, and with 2 other races this month, I’d planned to tempo it anyway. I placed in my age group, enjoyed great company, and ate lots of homemade soup and cornbread. The Summerville Track group had a few PRs and we all placed as well.

IMG_20160101_095252

I planned to run 12 miles on Saturday to preview the Charleston Marathon course, but since my parents were coming to visit, I ran from home. I ended up cutting the run short at 8 miles because I just didn’t feel that great. Even an easier pace felt hard. The car stress didn’t help either, but we had a successful test-driving trip that afternoon.

On Sunday, I ran 13 miles, including 8 miles with the OnShore Racing group. I felt much better than Saturday, and decided my body just needed to recover from Wednesday’s track workout and Friday’s race-out  tempo. I felt strong for my 13 miles and was happy with the pace at the end of a hard week.

944023_10101942600679517_728039988469634213_n

This week, I plan to shorten a few of my runs, get some inclines/hills in, and just de-stress. I’m hoping now that I’ve bought a car, I can relax and sleep better. I know that if I’m rested, I’ll have better runs, and I don’t want to go into the Charleston Half Marathon *too* stressed out and blow it. Everything is business as usual at the big girl job too, and I’m excited to return to routine.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Weekly Rundown: December 28 – January 3

1. Hollie says:

It sounds like you had a really eventful week. I’m glad you were both able to find cars. My life is the same way, generally things happen in threes and it sounds like you got it all out of the way. Great week of training too.

Thanks Hollie. I am also glad we both have working, dependable cars. I was terrified mine would finally kick the bucket on an interstate or driving home from Summerville at night, yikes.

2. Pam says:

Wow, what a tough week. I can’t imagine making not one but two car purchases in a household in just a matter of days. You should now be feeling stress free as you taper for the Charleston Half Marathon. Lots of people from my running group are running either the half or the full and I will be anxious to see how they like the race. You live in a great spot and everyone wants to do destination races there! Even my husband would love it if I chose to run a race in Charleston and he would want to come spectate, or really he would want to enjoy the city/restaurants!

Tons of locals run the Charleston Marathon, but each year more and more people are using it as a destination race (the race itself is only about 6 years old, so still pretty new). I worked the expo in 2014 and met a lot of runners from all over the US. Good luck to all your friends running it.

Car buying is definitely stressful and I’m glad it’s over! Ready to taper and relax.

3. Congrats on the new “to you” car! I like “new to you” cars instead myself!

4. Congrats on the new cars! Sounds like a pretty decent week. No stress this week 🙂

5. I hate having to decide whether to put money into a car or get a new one. It’s never an easy decision. I had a few fairly expensive car repairs last year all in succession, and every time, it was a struggle to decide whether to put the money in or not. And it was so stressful! Car stress is the worst. I’m glad you guys got it all figured out!

Yeah, the minimum cost of a new transmission was more than the treade-in value of the car, but it was still a tough decision. It’s hard not to place sentimental value on a vehicle and realize that in the end, it’s just a material item. I will miss my Honda, but I’m excited for some new Mazda Memories, too.

6. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on the new car! I worry about my 2006 Honda having problems soon so I’ve been on the market for a new car as well, at least to have one in mind when my Pilot breaks down too much. The new CR-Vs look so nice! Great week of training, and good luck on your last couple weeks before Charleston!

7. Wow, what a week! I had to get the transmission replaced for my car a couple years ago (11 years old come June). I didn’t want to get a new car until I move to a place with (a) garage parking or (b) private parking space (not alot in DC), otherwise the new car would be dinged up in no time. Good luck with the last two weeks of training before Charleston.

8. Liz says:

Ah I love Clay’s CRV! My mom has a 2011 CRV and I LOVE driving it when my car is in the shop! I would love to get one, but I just paid my car off a few months ago and it’s still perfectly good so I can’t really justify making car payments! Jon really wants to get a bigger 2nd car but I’m holding off as long as possible! I can’t imagine having to buy two cars in the same week though! I’d probably be more stressed out now! Have fun with your hills this week! Any sort of incline is my enemy lately! Even just walking up tiny inclines makes me huff and puff these days!

Oh wow- ATL has a lot of hills too so that’s gotta be hard with walking around town. I haven’t driven Clay’s CR-V yet but i’m glad he got a vehicle that I can drive if mine is in the shop or if I need to. I also can’t believe I spent this week buying 2 cars and running 50 miles… no wonder I’m exhausted.

9. congrats on the Mazda!!!! at least the first week of 2016 is turning out to better than the last week of 2015! I m getting excited for you about the Charleston half! you are so going to rock it!
    here is to a less stressful week ahead and a happy taper!!!!

Thank you! My week has already started out less stressful because at least I could drive to the gym today in a dependable car :). After what the mechanic told me, I was scared to leave West Ashley in my car.

10. Whew. What. A. Week.!!!

You are so right when you say that when it rains it pours! I’m glad you’re through the storms now, and they you’re better than ever! You’ve got a new car and it’s a new year!! Your salad looks so good–sorry about the bummer service, though. At least you gave it another shot!

Yeah, I like to give places a few chances. The salad was great, and I could tell the waiter was having a rough night with the kitchen. Still, I’m not sure I’d go back…

11. Elizabeth C. says:

2 new cars!? That’s really exciting. I know it wasn’t ideal to have to replace yours, but still. Congrats— I love it! Yummy salad. I am a huge fan of bean sprouts. 🙂