Weekly Rundown: December 21-27

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

DSCN9364_thumb.jpg

My laptop’s hard drive died two days before Christmas, so I apologize for the lack of fun pictures in this post. With traveling, ordering a new hard drive, and trying to save the data on my old one (we couldn’t), I just don’t have many pictures today.

Monday: 60 minutes BodyPump + 6.1 miles

Tuesday: 6.25 miles

Wednesday: 60 minutes BodyPump + 7.7 miles (speed/treadmill)

Thursday: 5 miles

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 5 miles (hills)

Sunday: No workout.

Total: 30 miles + 2 BodyPump classes

Like almost every week, my Monday morning started out with BodyPump. I’ve really enjoyed class lately and have increased my weights comfortably. It’s my favorite way to cross/strength train and it’s only helped my running. We did a nice mix of releases.

Monday night, I went to Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant for a Christmas Lights Run. I arrived in Mt. Pleasant early (no traffic- score!), so I ran a couple of miles before the group run. We ran through a neighborhood that had some great light displays, and after the run, we had cookies, brownies, and baked goods.

The themed runs have been fun this holiday season- I was glad to get out of the house and enjoy a run with friends before Christmas. It was great seeing Jacci, Chris, Amy, and Vy, along with some others, and meeting new people too.

Wednesday night track was cancelled, so I ended up doing a speed workout on the treadmill at Planet Fitness. Planet Fitness was almost completely empty, but it won’t be that way in January! It was weird because traffic at the mall was insane (our mall also has the movie theatre and plenty of people were out seeing Star Wars too).

I watched Christmas specials while running on the treadmill, so it wasn’t that bad, but I really missed the track crew.

On Wednesday night, Clay and I exchanged gifts, and Santa bought me a new Garmin VivoActive! I had to try out my new toy on Thursday morning, so I went on a 5 mile slugfest run in the 70 degrees, 100% humidity Christmas Eve temperatures. It felt more like August than Christmas Eve, and even the slower paces of my “easy run” range felt tough.

I realized my Garmin was set to kilometers so I had to over run the last lap (8K) to hit 5 miles. I fixed it once I got home and read the manual. As someone who writes manuals for a living (technical writer), you think I’d read it first, but oh well… I don’t always practice what I preach.

Since I was out of town, I didn’t run on Christmas Day. After celebrating, we drove to NC so I didn’t really have time to run. I did log an “easy” 5 miler in the mountains on Saturday. It was 65 degrees and 94% humidity, so it felt more like Charleston weather but the run was harder because… hills. We joked that we brought the Charleston temperatures to the mountains of NC. My Garmin VivoActive worked MUCH better since it was set to miles!

I had a great Christmas and cutback week. I’m ready to hit it hard this upcoming week and next week before tapering for the Charleston Half Marathon on January 16. I don’t have much longer, so I need to get those workouts in.

Sub-1:40 or bust!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekly Rundown: December 21-27

1. Hollie says:

Good for you for making the best of the track night being cancelled. I had to drive by the mall the other day and they were so packed. It was crazy…luckily I didn’t have to go in though…I was not in the mood for that.

Sorry to hear about your hard drive. That stinks.

Thanks Hollie. The good thing was that I had a lot of pictures saved on this blog (hooray). We may try sticking my old hard drive in the freezer to recover some things, too…

2. Boo for hard drive woes! But I must exclaim, that’s a cut back week?! Nicely done!! I’m excited to read about it when you run sub-1:40. You’ve definitely been putting in the work.

Yeah, I usually run 40-45 miles a week (I am training for a half marathon), so this is certainly a cutback week. Probably not the best time to take a cutback week considering I’m 3 weeks out from the race, but it’s hard not to when it’s the holidays.

3. Angela says:

I just love the medals on your tree!

4. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Your half marathon is so soon – you’re going to do great with how consistent your training has been! A Garmin vivoactive is such an awesome gift! I hope you have a happy New Year!

Thanks! I hope it goes well. Wish I could have gotten a long run in last week, but it was just too hot Thursday morning (and we didn’t have much time). Oh well… Hopefully all will be Ok in less than 3 weeks.

5. I didn’t realize your half-marathon was coming up so soon… exciting! I was lucky enough that my cutback week naturally fell on the week of Christmas. It was very convenient!

The timing of taper/peak week for the Charleston Marathon races is the only thing I don’t like about them. The date has you “peaking” the week of Christmas or the week of New Year’s, which is really hard to do. Still, it’s nice because you have something to train for over the holidays to keep diet/workouts in check and also to stay sane during Christmas.

• I can’t imagine peaking over Christmas! Christmas this year tired me out even with a cutback week in my training– peaking would be intense!

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t :). I want to do well, but in the end it’s a race and not worth stressing over more miles. I figure my base is pretty strong and with some tune-up workouts in the next few weeks, I should be allright.

6. Glad you had a good Christmas! And the weather….so much for no humidity…

7. Bummer on the laptop hard drive 😦
    I dropped my phone on christmas eve and it’s a thousand % shattered and broken.

8. Aww sorry to hear about your hard drive. I need to back up all my photos on my laptop! I just moved them from my phone. Yikes, can’t believe it is almost time for the Charleston Half Marathon! Seems like I was just there 🙂

9. Pam says:

Speed workouts on the treadmill are always so hard for me. Kudos for getting it done and especially so close to Christmas. With Christmas house guests (5) and lots of food to prepare, I have basically been offline for nearly two weeks. It is fun catching up with blogs and you certainly did a great job getting in your workouts. I will be curious to see what you think of the Vivo Active.

10. I’m so sorry about your hard drive! It’s so tough when things like that happen. I bet it was fun to watch Christmas specials while on the treadmill in an empty gym!! Good luck with your sub 1:40 goal for your half marathon this month! I know you can do it!

11. Elizabeth C. says:

Recovery weeks are so important! Glad you enjoyed yours. And we also had that nasty humidity on Christmas Eve- definitely NOT ideal for running. Wishing you a happy new year and a strong last few weeks of training for the half marathon!