Weekly Rundown: December 14-20

Happy Monday and Happy Holidays- Christmas is only a few short days away!

This week, I ran my second holiday race, the Cocoa Cup 5K in Summerville. I also logged many quality miles (hill workout, tempo, and race), as well as some cross training. I’ll be out of town for a few days this holiday season, so I’m running workouts while I can.

Monday 60 minutes BodyPump + 6 miles (garages)
Tuesday 6.3 miles
Wednesday 60 minutes Sunrise yoga + 5.8 miles (3 mile tempo)
Thursday 7 miles
Friday No workout.
Saturday 7.1 miles including Cocoa Cup 5K (21:45)
Sunday 12 miles
Total 44.2 miles, 1 hour BodyPump, 1 hour Yoga

Monday morning started out with 6 AM BodyPump and ended with a garage run downtown. I love the sights and sounds of Downtown Charleston at Christmas, and the view from the tops of the garages is pretty sweet. We don’t have hills here, so we improvise by running from parking garage to parking garages, running to the top, enjoying the view, and running back down. I don’t have any hilly races coming up, but the inclines build different muscles and change up the routine.

12208654_10206530805500348_1587339037674466206_n

On Wednesday, my legs felt pretty beat down, so I skipped BodyPump to sleep in a bit and went to Sunrise Yoga at 7. That evening, we cancelled our usual track workout and everyone headed to the Fleet Feet Summerville group run, where the theme was catching the gingerbread man.

IMG_20151216_195107_1

Everyone who finished in front of the gingerbread man won a $10 Starbucks gift card. I was one of the lucky recipients! Those who finished behind the gingerbread man won a pair of socks, and everyone got raffle tickets for giveaways.

The run was 3 miles long, so most of us used it as a tempo run and ran a few miles before and after for a solid workout. When we got back to Fleet Feet, we had Christmas cookies and a hot chocolate bar, complete with Bailey’s and Peppermint Schnapps to make it a true “recovery beverage”. Fleet Feet also offered 20% off for everyone, so it was a great night all around.

IMG_20151216_193038

The weather was all over the place this week, and that became a big deal because I got a weird congestion/crud. I ran easy on Thursday, but by Thursday night I was in Wal-Mart looking for antihistamines and decongestants. I started taking medicine, which helped a little, but you can’t find pseudoephedrine anywhere anymore and the other antihistamines just aren’t as good! I took Friday off running (as usual) and slept in hoping to feel better.

I didn’t feel 100% on Saturday morning, but I still headed to the Cocoa Cup 5K, where I ran a 21:45. I didn’t expect to PR so soon after the Reindeer Run 5K, and I didn’t PR, but I was happy with a 21:45. Even feeling sick and on antihistamines, I ran a 5K in under 22 minutes. Back in September, my “bad days” were 30 seconds slower, so I am seeing some speedy improvements! I placed in my age group as well.

Everyone from Wednesday night track had good races, with several of us placing. The Cocoa Cup 5K ran out of hot chocolate and had some traffic issues. The race production wasn’t the greatest, but I was satisfied with my finish time.

IMG_20151219_111320

On Sunday, I ran 12 miles with Melissa, and we met up with the OnShore Racing Sunday Run Group in downtown Charleston. It was chilly outside and both of us took it easy since we raced the day before, but it was a good endurance-building long run in preparation for my Charleston Half Marathon in a few weeks. I skipped the Sunday brunch to handle some holiday errands, went home, and drank a protein shake.

I hope everyone had a great week and has a great holiday season. Be safe if you’re travelling and spend lots of quality time with your family and friends!

IMG_20151220_145926

This entry was posted in Training Log, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Weekly Rundown: December 14-20

1. Hollie says:

It’s always good to see improvements even on your bad days. Nice job this week Amy and enjoy the Holidays!

2. LilMysNinja says:

Congrats on placing Saturday!
    I love the gingerbread man run. How fun! I should ask my Fleet Feet about doing something like that. I hope you’re feeling better today!

3. runner1313 says:

See you in Charleston! I got a hotel booked, one that allows pets. Just in case. Happy Holidays!

Cool deal- I hope the suggestions I sent helped. I wasn’t sure about the pets thing because we don’t have any. There’s tons of parking at the start of the race so no need to stay close to it at least.

4. I LOVE the idea of the gingerbread man run. So fun! The president of my work is an avid runner, and he does a “Beat the Boss” challenge every year for the Shamrock race. If you beat him, you get a prize of “unimaginable value.” Its usually a t-shirt 🙂

5. SuzLyfe says:

We did a Scavenger hunt (rather than gingerbread man run) for our Fleet Feet/Chicago Endurance Sports run this weekend. So much fun!

6. thisrunnersrecipes says:

That’s a beautiful view from the parking garage! Congrats on a great finish time – those improvements on off days are a great progress to see. Happy Holidays!

7. another solid week of training in the books!!!! congrats again on your race- I knew you weren’t feeling well when i saw you and you were smart to listen to your body and work on a pace goal as opposed to going on all out. That takes a lot of discipline!! And I so wish I could make the garage runs on Monday nights. That view is amazing and I really need “hill” work. I will probably take your advice and run the garage here in the ‘ville
    anyways, enjoy your Christmas week and hope you gt to felling 100% soon!
    -hopefully Wednesday wont rain us out for track!!!

Hopefully we can do track tomorrow night! Come to think of it, the garage runs actually started when Richie and Steve met to run the bridge and it was raining… they met at the garage to start the run and it was so bad, they decided to just run that garage like 6 times.

I’ve been feeling much better, fortunately! I was A-OK with giving 90% on Saturday because I have 3 races on the calendar in January.

8. kristenk says:

Your runs all sounded like so much fun! I love that you run garages and that you got to chase a gingerbread man. I wish my running group did stuff like that!

The Gingerbread Man run was through Fleet Feet Sports, which is a franchise of locally-owned running stores all over the country. Every Fleet Feet store does themed runs occasionally but other running stores have them too, it’s a good way to run somewhere new and meet people. If you have a Fleet Feet nearby, definitely check it out :).

9. Great week of workouts!!! Merry Christmas 🙂