Weekly Rundown: November 30 – December 6

We’re another week closer to Christmas!

I love the holidays. I decorated both Christmas trees this week, which should totally count as cross training, and attended the Charleston Running Club Christmas party. I have a few more Christmas parties on the calendar too. I’m pretty extroverted (proud ESTJ), so a party each week from now until Christmas excites me big time.

This coming week, I have some speedwork planned, but aside from that, I plan to take it easy until Saturday’s Reindeer Run 5K. I’d really love to beat my 21:47 from the Florence Turkey Trot, especially since the course is flat, and hopefully I won’t go out too fast!

Monday BodyPump + 6 miles (Tour de Parking Garages)
Tuesday 60 minutes Arc Trainer
Wednesday Sunrise Yoga + 7.65 miles (Treadmill Speedwork)
Thursday 6.3 miles
Friday No workout.
Saturday 12 miles
Sunday 10.1 miles
Total 42 miles + 1 BodyPump class + 1 yoga class + 60 minutes Arc Trainer

Monday morning started as it always does, with 6 AM BodyPump. It sets the tone for my week and the 4:55 AM wakeup call is worth it. Since my legs were already shredded from higher than usual mileage last week and I don’t have any races coming up this week, I decided to increase my squat weight.

12033061_10208533912008205_5175682032833731900_n

Increasing my squat weight has been a huge mental battle for me because I’m always either recovering from a race or getting ready for one, but I just went in and said I was going to squat 2 large plates on each side of the bar, and I did. I didn’t have to take any breaks or decrease the weight, but the hardest part is always getting the bar off my back after all those squats! I did a 6 parking garage run that night as well.

Since my legs were feeling last week’s mileage and the parking garage run, I decided to cross train on Tuesday and arc trainer-ed for an hour. It’s less impact than running, but a great workout for your glutes and hamstrings, and I worked up a major sweat!

It rained on Wednesday night, so I did not attend my usual track workout and opted for the treadmill instead. Treadmill running sucks, but being slow sucks more, so I got it done.

Here’s the workout I ran:

Warm up (10 mins.) 5 mins. @ 6.5 mph
5 mins. @ 7 mph
Workout
(40 mins., 4 rounds total)
4 mins. @ 7.5 mph
3 mins. @ 8 mph
2 mins. @ 8.5 mph
1 min. @ 9 mph
Cool down (10 mins.) 5 mins. @ 7.5 mph
5 mins. @ 7 mph

Planet Fitness has Food Network so I watched a group of chefs build a life-sized gingerbread house while I did speedwork!

On Saturday, I ran Sawmill Branch with the Wednesday night track group and Summerville Running Club. A ton of runners came out and ran various distances (you just turned around when you felt like it). Jon, Tammie, and some other people are tapering for Kiawah, so most people didn’t run super long. Melissa, Theresa, and I ran 12 together. Theresa got 3 more in for her marathon training 15-miler.

12316582_10102671793915448_3282157654370673030_n

It was a beautiful and chilly morning to run Sawmill Branch. I went by Earth Fare for some goodies before coming home, too. They had an awesome BOGO sale this weekend, and I got some Califia Farms Almond Milk Eggnog, herbal tea, and an assortment of protein/granola bars.

Saturday night, I went to the Charleston Running Club Christmas party with my friends Emily, Jacci, Aisha, and Aisha’s husband Rick. It was held at Marion’s downtown and had lots of good food and beverages, and all of us cleaned up nicely for it.

I ate and drank entirely too much at the party (more than one plate). The food was really good, but it’s just not worth sacrificing training for, and I hope to get back on track next week. Eating too much at parties has been the story of my life lately, and running 40+ per week doesn’t exactly give me the right to eat what I want. I’m 5’0” and it seems like every ounce shows. The struggle is real.

I woke up Sunday morning having stomach issues from Saturday night’s party food. I felt like a busted can of biscuits, which wasn’t good since I had a tempo run planned. I ran 10 miles with OnShore Racing’s Sunday group, with about 4.25 at tempo pace instead of the 6-8 I wanted to run. I ran back with Jacci on her last few miles. It was her last long run before Kiawah, and she will do great. Best wishes to all the Kiawah runners tapering this week.

12345602_462928023894882_7520396372924241742_n

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 30 – December 6

1. wanderwolf says:

Looks like a great week of training with fun on the side and squat work increase is awesome! I know how hard it is to up the weights because of having races or long runs planned, so to see you do so successfully is motivating. 🙂 Also, the party sounds like fun! But I know what you mean about food and parties… it’s good to have running to keep at the back of one’s mind when thinking about the third or fourth plate of cookies. 🙂
    Also, I love the speed workout you did! Were the 4 minutes at 7.5 sort of your recovery? Or did you recover after the 9.0 mph? I’m going to have to try it sometime.
    Hope this week is just as good, if not better!

2. Christmas is such a beautiful time of the year. Between spending time with family/friends, Christmas parties & of course baking/eating cookies. What more could one ask or? 🙂

3. Laura says:

We got our tree this weekend so I am super excited to decorate it tonight after work. Yours looks great!! Nice week of training, and workouts. That speed workout and squat session should be good confidence builders for the upcoming 5k. 5k is speed and strength, and I think we ALL struggle trying not to go out too fast!

4. Your tree looks great!! I agree, decorating counts as cross training for SURE. Love that treadmill workout!! Great job getting it done even though you don’t love the treadmill. I know I will have a few of those sessions in my future if we get some snow during my training. Good luck on the 5K!!!

5. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Your tree looks beautiful! Your treadmill workout looks great – I’m saving that to try sometime. Great job on increasing your squat weight and good luck on your 5K!

6. Kara says:

I seriously need you as a workout buddy! You crushed this week! Also…love your tree with the race numbers. So cute 🙂

7. That’s a really impressive week of workouts.. I get up about 5 minutes after you in the mornings, but it takes me a while to get myself wakened up. I guess BodyPump has you awake in no time… 🙂 Loving the Christmas tree decorations by the way 🙂

I wake up at 4:55 and class is at 6. I do need about 30 minutes of time to drink coffee and really wake up, but I get it ;). I’ve heard of some people who get up and literally run out the door 5 minutes later and I can’t do that!

8. Haha, yes tree decorating should count as cross training. I still need to remove some of the branches of my tree so it fits properly into the holder (arms..right?)

Tree decorating is quite a shoulder workout when you get to the top branches. Our trees are both artificial, but good luck with getting yours into the holder and up!

9. LOVE the tree!
    LOVE the TM wokout–will be adding this to my workouts soon
    GREAT training week!
    : )

It wasn’t a bad treadmill workout, but I would’ve much rather been running with you guys.

I’ll post more pictures of the tree soon. I took a ton… it is covered in medals, and it’s not even *all* the medals. I only used the ones from this year and last! My marathon medal isn’t on there.

10. I’m sorry, I love working out, but I can’t wake up THAT early for a workout. Evening workouts for me! But that’s awesome that you increased your squat weight and stuck with it!

I have to do it at 6 AM because that’s the only time my gym has BodyPump besides Saturday morning (and I almost always have a race on Saturday). It’s worth it though, the instructors at 6 AM are great and the people are nice. Plus I’m done by 7 and off to work!

11. Great week of training and I love your tree!

12. Another solid week of training under your belt! Way to go. Also, love the Christmas tree picture! Decorating totally counts as a workout, in my opinion 🙂

How do you like the almond milk egg nog? I have been meaning to pick up some kind of holiday drink like that, but I don’t know which brands actually taste good, haha.

I’m glad you get to go to all kinds of parties this month, you wild ESTJ, you!!

P.S. I got your Christmas card in the mail today! Love it–thank you!