Weekly Rundown: November 23-29

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Whether you spent it noshing on delicious foods with your family, turkey trotting, or Black Friday shopping, I hope it brought you joy.

Another week of training for the Charleston Half Marathon is done for me. I’m on a running forum on Reddit and a bunch of the posters decided to make this a super week, where everyone shot for more total miles, quality miles, consistency, or some other goal. Since everyone who doesn’t work retail had time off work this week, it just made sense.

Monday BodyPump + 6.3 miles
Tuesday 6.2 miles
Wednesday Sunrise Yoga
Thursday 7.2 miles, including Florence Turkey Trot  5K (21:47)
Friday 8 miles
Saturday 15 miles
Sunday 8 miles
Total 50.7 miles, 1 BodyPump class, 1 yoga class

I spent Monday morning strength training before running some garage repeats that evening and joining the Fleet Feet Mt Pleasant Monday Run-day group. Monday’s weather felt like Fall and it was amazing- I even wore long sleeves.

12301660_527339180763823_8773176742448493955_n

After our run, we went to Graze, which is a restaurant and bar next door to Fleet Feet. They extended their happy hour for us, and I had a buffalo shrimp taco and a salmon taco. The Happy Hour prices were on point ($3 tacos, $5 apps, $4 glasses of wine), and the food was delicious.

My first experience at Graze was a few months ago, and it wasn’t the greatest. I thought about skipping out on Happy Hour, but Vy convinced me and I had a great time. I’m glad I gave Graze a second chance and it was fun hanging out with the other girls.

On Thursday, I ran the Florence Turkey Trot 5K, a small race with about 210 runners. Clay and I were visited his parents for the holiday, and we drove up Wednesday night, so I was able to Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I ran a 21:47 5K, which was an 8 second PR. I placed first overall and got a fun turkey medal.

My actual race at the Turkey Trot wasn’t my best. I went out too fast and faded badly, but I held on and ran okay. I’m definitely thinking of a better pacing strategy for the Reindeer Run in 2 weeks. I saw a lot of old friends at the Turkey Trot and met new people, so it was worth it.

After my 5K race, I came home and ate like I ran a marathon. We use compartment trays for dinner and regular sized paper plates for dessert. Speaking of dessert, I didn’t take a picture of my chocolate cake and carrot cake but they were delicious too. Thanksgiving lunch is the best!

On Saturday, I joined Theresa, Jon, Tammie, Virginia, and Jonathan for a long run on the Sawmill Branch Bike Trail. Theresa’s plan called for 15 miles at 8:45 pace and we did 15 miles at 8:41 pace. We were finished by 9:30- what a way to start off a Saturday!

12278897_10153625008896708_900116333294163098_n

This was my longest run in awhile, and it went well except that I got crazy hungry around 12 miles into the run. I kept the pace up for the last 3 miles, just felt hungry. I came home and demolished a protein shake and an English muffin sandwich because runger (running + hunger) is real.

On Sunday, I ran 8 with the OnShore Racing Sunday morning crew. Since I ran a lot of miles this week and a long run the day before, I didn’t push the pace. I relaxed and talked to a couple of people and just enjoyed the beautiful weather. It was 64 degrees, 77% humidity, and absolutely perfect.

Sunday afternoon, I worked on Christmas decorations, which are quite a challenge when you’re 5 feet tall and your tree is 9 feet tall. I’ve gotten up as many lights as I can and have to wait on Clay to finish the rest because I’m just too short. I’ll post pictures once it’s done.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

This entry was posted in Holidays, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 23-29

1. Hollie says:

Your experience at the turkey trot sounds a lot like my most recent one…I went out way to fast and then faded. It sounds like it was a really successful week for you.

Thanks Hollie. Yeah, I thought about it when I read your recap, but going out too fast happens to everyone sometimes. You still had a great time at that trot, and I had a great time at mine, and the good thing about 5Ks is that since there are so many, we don’t have to wait long to run another ;).

2. Pam says:

Congrats on first overall in the turkey trot and another PR and shiny medal. I missed out on a turkey trot this year since we were serving dinner at the USO. One of our local races includes runners as bobble head doll awards and I was sad to miss out! Your tree would be a challenge for me too at 5’2″ I bet it looks beautiful with all the decorations. I started decorating too and hope to finish up today.

Thank you! I think it’s awesome you served Thanksgiving at the USO and that is worth missing a turkey trot for. I am hoping to finish my decorating today or tomorrow as well!

3. Congrats on the PR and first place! My tree is only 6ft tall because I’m only 5’5 and I’m not trying to mess with anything bigger!

Our small tree is a 6 ft tall one, and I could always handle it by myself once Clay got it out of the garage. This new tree is huge! It is pretty though, so I know the work is worth it.

4. Congratulations on the PR! If you can do that with poor pacing, I bet you’ll be in for another PR pretty soon. That’s exciting. 🙂

5. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on your PR and placing first! Your tree is huge! We had a 9 ft tree last year, and it was enough of a struggle for my 5’9 self to decorate.

6. YAY for a PR!!!!! I knew you would!
    : )
    Congrats!!!!!!
    also, what a great week of training!!!!! I have full confidence that you will hit another 1/2 marathon PR soon (and probably another 5k before the end of the year!!!!-you are on a roll, so just go with it!)
    I cant wait to pick back up with training this week and be able to run with you and the crew again! I’ve missed you!
    Have fun this week getting things decked out for Christmas-your tree is HUGE!!!! Cant wait to see pics of the finished product!
    Again,congrats on the PR!!!!

Thank you! I have a LOT of 5Ks coming up so I know I’ll beat this time. I’m signed up for 4 5Ks right now Dec/Jan and plan to shoot for low 21’s. We have missed training with you too and I will be there this Wednesday night (no clue what the workout is yet).

7. Looks like a great week of workouts! I love that you take BodyPump. I teach and take it regularly and find it to be such a great workout. I love not having to think about what comes next because it has already been decided for you and then all of a sudden you’re done and you worked the whole body! It’s a great cross training workout for running!

8. Elizabeth C. says:

Wow- you won the Turkey Trot! And got a PR! That must have been a wonderful way to start your Thanksgiving! Huge congrats! I also love the compartment tray idea. I hate when juices from one food flow onto another.

It was a great way to kick off the holiday weekend! Granted it was a small trot in a small town, but a win is always nice.

I hate when the juices flow from food to food as well, especially when some foods are savory and others are sweet.