Weekly Rundown: November 16-22

I spent this week recovering from the Historic Georgetown Bridge 2 Bridge Half Marathon.

Saturday, I planned to “race-out” a 5K, which is my term for running a race as a workout, usually a hard tempo run. Let’s be honest- I always push myself just a little harder when I pin the race number on.

When my alarm went off at 5:50 AM, I turned it off and rolled over, knowing I wasn’t mentally or physically recovered from my half. I travelled for work this week, so my nutrition, workouts, and sleep were off. I did speedwork on Wednesday and knew my body couldn’t handle 2 workouts the week after racing a half.

After running for almost 6 years, I’ve learned I don’t immediately bounce back from races, especially if it’s a longer distance or PR. I’m not running when it doesn’t feel right. Later in the morning, I had a major case of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).

Two days later I still have the FOMO… but with the Florence Turkey Trot in just a few days, it was probably a smart decision. I don’t want my turkey trot to turn into a Gobble Hobble.

I’m off work for Thanksgiving and Black Friday next week, so I should have time to get my mileage back up. Plus, the Florence Turkey Trot is a 5K, and I’d love to do well and maybe even PR. Guess we’ll see what happens!

Monday BodyPump + 5 miles
Tuesday Kettle bell fitness + 2 miles
Wednesday 7 miles (track)
Thursday 5 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday 9 miles
Sunday 10 miles (including HMP tempo)
Total 38 miles + 2 strength training workouts

On Monday morning, I headed to BodyPump bright and early because I went out of town this week and didn’t want to skip strength training. Since I was in recovery mode, I took it very easy on the leg tracks- but I plan to go back to my usual weight next week.

On Tuesday, I was in Florence for work. Since group fitness is always more fun than hotel treadmills, I joined my friend Kristina’s kettlebell fitness class at Fitness World Gyms. Kristina is really passionate about teaching kettlebells, so I paid a $5 guest fee for her to kick my tail. In the end, it felt like I was kicked in the stomach- my core was still feeling the (great but tough) workout on Friday!

Wednesday’s track workout was different. We ran a 1 mile warmup, 3 x 1200m with 400m recovery, then 4 x 600m with 200m recovery, and a 1 mile cooldown. The workout totaled 7 miles and was the longest track workout we’ve done.

My Garmin went kaput, so I did the entire workout by feel and have no clue what my paces were. It was kind of nice to avoid the Garmin pressure, especially since my legs were still recovering from the half. We headed to Montreaux after for recovery beverages and hanging out.

Thursday’s run was another easy 5 miles in the crazy Charleston humidity, which sticks around year-round. At 7:00 AM, it was 77 degrees and 100% humidity on my run. I thought about how people in their cars were listening to Christmas music while it felt like June. I was grateful for rain in the last half mile.

Instead of racing that local 5K, I ran 9 miles around Mt. Pleasant on Saturday, then headed to the Laurel Hill to cheer on some friends running the Ultra Chili 50K and Relay. Everyone was having fun and I enjoyed cheering and chatting. The OnShore Racing Team took the top relay spots on a very muddy trail course.

I spent Saturday afternoon eating shrimp tacos from Charleston Sports Pub and watching Gamecock football. The shrimp tacos were delicious, but the South Carolina vs. The Citadel game was three and a half hours of life I’ll never get back. We’ve been terrible this year.

On Sunday, I ran a total of 10 miles with the OnShore Racing group. I ran it as a tempo workout and included a few miles at half marathon pace. Now that the weather’s cooler, I want to run more pace-specific work before the Charleston Half Marathon. We had a good crowd at the run, and I headed off for a sports massage when I was done. I came home to a delicious Apollo pizza from South of Philly pizzeria– hooray for Clay bringing home pizza.

I hope everyone has a great week- we all have a lot to be thankful for!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 16-22

1. Sounds like a great week and you’re smart to listen to your body. I’d rather miss out than hurt something. I’m finding I hate recovery right now lol everything hurts and even thinking about running hurts. LOL!! It’s so cold here! I don’t much care for winter. But I do like the Christmas music. ;)Have a beautiful week!!

I bet everything hurts after your 50K but it was so worth it to complete that goal (and you could get a 50K car sticker now too, hehe).

Hopefully you have a speedy recovery and enjoy Thanksgiving- at least it’s a great week for refueling from that ultra😉.

2. I think it’s great that you listened to your body and didn’t race this weekend. I had that same feeling the day I ran the RW Half in October. It was a week after Hartford, and I didn’t feel recovered. I had a bad feeling and ran anyway, and then my calf happened. You made the right call!! That pizza looks FABULOUS OMG. And reading that you are still running in humidity made me a little nauseous – you are so freaking badass. We just have a few months of battling that kind of weather, you have it year round. When I was whining about the heat back in September you were probably like, ummmmm HI THIS IS MY LIFE. Haha. Also love the meme, except I think recovery is the worse word! I love the taper, but hate the off season🙂

It was 37 degrees this morning- finally feeling like Fall here. Or I guess winter since this is Charleston and all. I’m glad to say good riddance to the humidity this week.

I’m trying to get over not racing on Saturday. It’s sad when you feel guilty for missing a race when you still ran 9 miles. I’m telling myself that maybe I avoided something bad happening at the race or either in the future. I’ve “over-raced” before (did 4 5Ks in 2 weeks) and it’s not a good idea.

• Trust me, you made the right call. For as fun as RW was and for as happy I am that I did it because I had fun with my friends, my body was NOT happy and I paid the price!! I do get the FOMO, though – I am the EXACT same way.

3. Good for you to listen to your body. Sounds like you had a good week – and hopefully your thanksgiving will be wonderful!

4. While i was a bit bummed your weren’t racing this weekend,You were very smart to listen to your body! (you didnt miss much from the 5k btw).
    Im happy that onshore did well at the 50k-i still cant wrap my head around that distance,lol!!!
    it looks like its going to be good weather on thanksgiving so im sure your going to rock it at your race! I cant wait for a recap!
    (BTW your recovery week still looked like a training week compared to mine. I had a really hard week,and finally feel like myself today!)

A few of the OnShore people did the full 50K, but most did the team option which was 4 people, and you could divide up the 10 5Ks however you wanted. I know a lot of people who ran the whole thing and I can’t wrap my head around it either. I know how I felt at the end of my one and only marathon, and I can’t imagine 5 miles on top of that.

I guess my recovery week was more like “recovery half a week”. I did take it easy until Wednesday, and even Wednesday was very no-pressure. I hope I didn’t do too much!

5. Elizabeth C. says:

You and I are on the same racing schedule, going through the same thing! I also have a Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving, less than two weeks post half-marathon PR. It’s good that you spent some time recovering because coming back too soon can definitely trigger an injury. I think your Garmin not working on that one run was awesome. Less pressure to run a particular pace when you were still recovering. Good luck with your Turkey Trotting!

6. thisrunnersrecipes says:

You were so smart to listen to your body about the 5K! It looks like you had a solid week of workouts – 38 miles is super impressive for a recovery week – and your kettlebell class sounds so fun. Kettlebells always leave my core and glutes aching for a few days, but I was such a strong runner when I used to do them 2-3x a week so the soreness is always worth it.

7. Angela says:

I think you were wise to listen to your body! You had a great week with workouts regardless! Sometimes I just leave the Garmin at home, no pressure and clears the mind!!

I ran for so many years without the Garmin and had some great runs where I didn’t worry much about pace or time. Sometimes I miss those days and think Garmins are overrated.

8. It’s good that you listened to your body, I’m sure it was very grateful for a rest. But you seem to have had a great week for mileage anyway.. The pizza looks amazing.. I think olives and basil are two of my favourite ingredients on any Italian food. Cover them in cheese and it gets even better.🙂

Black olives are one of my favorite pizza toppings and salad toppings. I love my pizzas covered in veggies. I’m not too huge on a lot of cheese, and I usually like marinara, but South of Philly does a great garlic sauce and feta cheese is good on pizza.

9. Denise says:

I like running without the Garmin too sometimes. It’s nice to just feel the run without so much pressure to keep a certain pace.

10. Pam says:

Taking it easy after a tough race is really smart IMHO. I always take two full weeks off after running a marathon, granted I am old, but I do not miss running too much during that time. How fun that you were able to find a class while you were on a work trip. That is always better than just using machines at the hotel gym. I am still on the fence about a turkey trot and it is definitely tempting to sign up.

Honestly, I don’t blame you to take 2 weeks off after a marathon, especially the types of marathons you do because they are crazy active trips. Plus, you’re not just recovering from the race- you’re recovering from a lot of training too.

I didn’t feel “right” for 2 weeks after the one ‘thon I ran. Even last week, I didn’t feel like myself 100% until Sunday (Hence, no 5K). Most of my runs last week were slower and my run last night was too.

11. drachtungbaby says:

I heard the Ultra Chilli 50k was a mud fest – there was a group from Elgin that went down there and ran it. I loved the pic of the Apollo pizza – that was my favorite from South of Philly when I lived in West Ashley.

It was extremely muddy on the course! Some runners were avoiding it but the faster people ran right through and slid around. Some were covered in mud up past their knees. It rained a lot here last week and that course is usually pretty slick. The Peyton 10 X 5K will be held out there in March too- it’s a very popular site for trail races now.

South of Philly is the best. I love the Apollo salad and Tomato Pie as well, and we get their cheese slices for lunch occasionally. The family that runs it knows us by name.

12. runninrocker says:

You are right about that…so much to be thankful for. I hope you PR on your Turkey Trot and have a great time doing it. You sure run a lot of miles in one week! I love love love BodyPump class it’s such an all over muscle workout. I am just now starting to feel last nights’ class. Have a wonderful rest of the week and Thanksgiving!

BodyPump is the best. I go at least once a week. I wish my gym offered more classes because I’d go twice a week if it fit into my schedule (they have it on Saturday morning but I always race or do a long run that day). To me, it’s one of the best cross training workouts for runners.

I shoot for 40ish miles a week most weeks, but I built up to that over several years. I’ve found that is my “sweet spot”. I know plenty of people who run more or less- what matters is doing what works best for your life, keeps you injury-free, and brings you joy🙂.

13. Laura says:

It can definitely be hard not to race, but sounds like it was the right move. Kudos to you for recognizing that! Good luck at the Turkey Trot and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

14. I hope your race today went well. I had to trot alone before our long drive. I did 6 miles. Running a half this weekend – may be my last race of the year.

15. Wow, 7 miles of tough track workouts is intense.
    Oh my heavens that pizza looks amazing, never been to that place.

It’s out here in the same shopping center as Ladle’s and Charleston Coffee.

The 7 mile total track workout was intense, but that’s kinda what it takes. It’s tough to run a long workout on a track though- if the repeats are longer than a mile, or if it’s a tempo, it’s way easier on the road!