Weekly Rundown: November 9-15

Happy Monday, everyone!

I spent last week tapering for the Historic Georgetown Bridge 2 Bridge Half Marathon on Saturday. I had a wonderful race, finishing in 1:41:43 and placing third female overall (it was a small race).

Best of all, I spent time with friends and family and celebrated a successful Fall season of training. I’ll write a complete recap of the half marathon later this week.

Monday
BodyPump + 60 minutes Arc Trainer
Tuesday 6.2 miles
Wednesday Sunrise Yoga + 5.3 miles (track)
Thursday 5.1 miles
Friday No workout
Saturday Historic Georgetown Bridge 2 Bridge Half (1:41:43)
Sunday 3 mile recovery run + 2.5 mile walk
Total 35.5 miles, 1 BodyPump, 1 Sunrise Yoga, 60 minutes Arc Trainer

Training this week wasn’t too exciting. All my runs were easy except for Wednesday (track) and Saturday’s race. The weather finally cooled down, so training was enjoyable again!

On Wednesday, the track workout was 12 X 400, but since I was racing, I opted to run 8 x 400 and then finished off with a mile at close to half marathon goal pace. According to my watch, the last four 400s were below 6:00 min/mile pace. I still think that’s wrong, but everyone ran super fast at track.

Melissa and I ran the last mile together at a 7:50 pace after the 8 x 400 and while chatting and that was a big confidence booster before Saturday’s half marathon.

12234891_10153595863686708_8339737352270837262_n

Saturday’s Bridge 2 Bridge half marathon was great. Charleston runners represented in Georgetown, and many of us placed or set new PRs on a difficult course with three bridges that you run over twice and rough headwinds.

12246628_10205425481180868_1345282964046573104_n

I’m glad I stuck with the Georgetown Bridge 2 Bridge race, even if the course was tough. It’s a great small-town race that promotes health and fitness in an area that needs events like this.

My official time was 1:41:43, which is a 7 second PR from February’s Save the Light Half Marathon. I feel like this PR is worth more than 7 seconds, because the Georgetown course is *much* harder than Folly Beach.

My Garmin logged the Georgetown Bridge 2 Bridge course as 13.34, and I set a Garmin PR of a 1:40:07 half. All of us logged 13.3 on our watches, and while I’m no slave to the Garmin, I think I could run sub-1:40 on a flat course. Until then, I’ll consider 1:41:43 my official PR.

I can’t write about Saturday without mentioning the rest of the Flowertown Flash (Summerville speedwork) track group. Everyone who ran the Sweet Tea Half Marathon in Summerville met their training goals most and set new PRs. It was great coming home and reading about everyone’s PRs. We push each other on Wednesdays, and it’s paying off on race days. Here’s a picture of Theresa, Tammie, Melissa, and Jon at the Sweet Tea Half.

12241211_10102642870423358_8613193760842034998_n

Finally, on Sunday, I headed out to Hampton Park for the OnShore Racing Group Run. I let most of the group go today and opted for a 3 mile recovery run followed by a 2.5 mile walk around downtown Charleston.

Sunday was a beautiful day, and my legs feel much better. Walking as cross training and post-race recovery is way underrated, and I know that taking it easy for a few days will make all the difference when I race again.

12208749_458120207708997_2589878359519538259_n

After my run and walk, Clay and I went to Costco and out to Mex 1 Coastal Cantina for lunch (shrimp tacos!). Then, we relaxed with football for the rest of Sunday.

Congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend, and I hope we all have a wonderful week! Almost time for turkey, turkey trots, Thanksgiving, family, and Black Friday!

This entry was posted in Half Marathon, OnShore Racing, Summerville, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 9-15

1. wanderwolf says:

Sounds like a great week and a great race! It also sounds like, on a true course and a flat course, you’d have sub-1:40 in the bag. 3rd overall ain’t shabby, though! Hopefully this week is a smooth recovery and building the strength for whatever comes next.

2. Pam says:

You had a fantastic week Amy.A PR on a tough course, especially with headwinds means a big PR when you move to another flat half marathon. I am all for resting before a big race, and walking as recovery is underrated. I did alot of walking the week after the NYC Marathon since I was at Walt Disney World and my first run back after the marathon felt great.

The headwinds were brutal. I didn’t think it would be possible to always have a headwind in a race but it seemed like we did. Staying active but taking it easy post-race is the way to go!

3. Great weekend for a half! 🙂 Congrats on placing in your half!

4. Great race! Congratulations on the PR– those are the best! 🙂

5. Congrats on your race! 1:41, WOW! Impressive! AND 3RD PLACE?! YAS. You crushed it! You worked hard – that PR is well deserved!!!!

Thank you! I was shocked to place overall. A 1:41 half marathon is usually not going to place overall.

It was a small race (only 149 half marathoners), but sometimes those are even harder because you don’t have pace groups, and you have fewer runners to pace off of or “Rabbit Hunt” in the last few miles.

I fought hard for this one, and I’m proud.

6. Nice half! Great weekend, too!:)

7. Angela says:

Great race!!! I love personalized bib numbers too!

8. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on your PR and 3rd in your AG! A 1:41 is really impressive, especially on a hilly course like that! You’ve had such a strong fall racing season!

9. Elizabeth C. says:

Congrats! You are such a wonderful ambassador for local Charleston running, and I love that you are so involved in your local community. That race sounds extremely challenge with wind and bridges. Good for you for not shying away from a challenge! It will make a flat course with no wind feel so much easier. Since so many courses don’t line up with the Garmin, I like to track my Garmin PRs and my official PRs separately. The Garmin ensures and apples-to-apples comparison of all runs/workouts/races, and even though it’s not official, I think it’s more of an accurate representation of the achievement. Anyway, great blog post and congrats on your placement!

I typically track my Garmin PRs and race PRs differently too. Usually they line up now, but I went a few years without running a half marathon race, so I kept PRing the 13.1 distance in training runs (lol). I definitely considered those PRs.

I try to stay involved around here- we have a great running community and Charleston’s a great city all around!

10. Awesome job! You’ll definitely get that sub 1:40 on a flat (not windy) course! Congrats on getting on the podium!

Thank you!

BTW, I wish more races had an actual podium. We just all went up and got our medals and kind of left. I have placed overall in a few (very very small) races, but have never seen a podium at ANY race.

11. Girl, a 1:41 ( so really a 1:40) on that hilly course is like a 1:38 on a flat one. The Charleston half coming up in January will be a cake walk in comparison!!!!
    I’m so proud of you for earning your PR, i was doing the snoopy dance when I got your text about your time!! I know you have had a good training season and speed work really does pay off!!! Thank you for putting in the miles with me and pushing me when I needed it during summer training. Fall weather is finally here so I’m sure there will be some new PR’s in the making
    : )
    Again,congratulations on a a great race!! YOU ROCK!!!!
    Here’s to a happy recovery week!

I am mostly hoping for good weather at Charleston at this point. As long as I keep my training up and don’t *lose* any fitness, and run a good tactical race, I should be sub-1:40. But you never know about the weather at Charleston- remember 2 years ago?!?!?

We have been rocking it out. I was so proud of everyone who PRed on Saturday. Hope to see you soon and good luck on Saturday at Oakie 5K!

• Thanks! I just hope I’m recovered lol! I really hope the weather does hold up for the charelston half as I remember vividly the coldest race day in the history of charleston!!! (Says the gal who thinks 40 is a cold front, ha!) Oh and btw your watch wasn’t wrong on the 8x400s. We were doing under 6min mile pace last week
        What the what????????

12. Great week and a GREAT race!!! Congrats on the PR! Also, glad the weather is starting to cool off some.

13. Yay for a new PR! And I agree – when courses are hard, it feels like you earned it so much more, right? I love how you write your notes on your bib afterwards. So smart!

14. jillconyers says:

Congrats on the great finish and PR! Loving the perfect running weather right now.

15. Farrah says: