Weekly Rundown: November 2-8

It’s the first full week of November, and 2015 is flying by. I can’t believe it’s November, because the weather felt more like June this week.

fall_temps

This was a weird week, because I spent it recovering from Race 13.1 Charleston and from being sick on Monday night and most of the day Tuesday. I felt tired, achy, and like a train hit me. I slept for 10 hours on Tuesday night and missed my Wednesday morning workouts but my body needed the extra two hours of sleep more than the gentle yoga class. It was an extra-long savasana (corpse pose).

It was great to take a break from tune-up racing, as Charleston had no races this weekend. I was surprised we didn’t have a Veteran’s Day race because this is a big military community.

12065944_10153739608315850_1444186405421150811_n

The Georgetown Bridge to Bridge Half Marathon is Saturday, and I don’t feel ready, even though no training will help at this point. I already have regrets of not running enough bridge repeats and tempo runs. Maybe those regrets are just taper crazies- I guess we’ll see next Saturday. Bring on the taper.

Monday: BodyPump + 5.1 mile run
Tuesday: 60 minutes Arc Trainer
Wednesday: 5.35 mile run (track/speedwork)
Thursday: 6.25 mile run
Friday: No workout
Saturday: 12 mile run
Sunday: 8 mile run (progressive/tempo)
Total: 36.6 miles, 60 minutes Arc Trainer, 1 BodyPump class

On Wednesday, we ran a 6 x 800m workout at track. I was feeling the wrath of whatever I was sick with, so my 800s were close to current 5K pace. I really didn’t push the pace too much and that was okay. It was humid out but everyone had a fun time and got their workouts in.

12036434_10102630723366158_1903616654656910614_n

One of our track guys, Dan, ran the Savannah Rock and Roll Marathon and wanted Triangle Char-N-Bar for dinner, and we obliged since he needed to carb load for his ‘thon. I had the butternut squash soup, which tasted pretty yummy with how lousy I felt. It’s great that Triangle expanded to Summerville- and fun that restaurants that are in Downtown Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, and West Ashley are opening new locations.

I finally felt like myself on Thursday! Had a nice run, then Arc Trainer session (I also Arc Trainer-ed on Tuesday because it was raining and I didn’t want to run in the rain).

On Saturday, everyone met up at the Y to run 12 or 18 miles at Sawmill Branch. At 6:45 AM, it was already 70 degrees and 100% humidity, feeling more like June than November.

12219434_10153588442181708_6804859725436326691_n

The heat and humidity have lingered, and while you acclimate to them living here, there’s a reason why half and full marathons aren’t held from April-October (and why the Savannah Rock and Roll half and full marathons were shut down early with runners diverted off the course). A runner passed away at that event too, which was really sad.

Sunday morning was amazing because a cold front and rain moved in overnight and cooled things down big time. It was a beautiful 59 degrees and 88% humidity. I ran 4 miles out progressive (8:54, 8:28, 8:18, 8:14), then 4 miles back tempo (7:45, 7:36, 7:22, 7:20).

I ran solo and from home because Clay and I had a lot going on. We went downtown for the Charleston Coffee Cup. As a Yelp Elite (300+ reviews and counting), I received a pair of tickets for the event. We sampled tons of coffees and voted for our favorites, tried a few baked goods, and brought home some cold brew for later. Lots of vendors were there, and all the coffee and food prices were reasonable. I now have a lot of local coffee shops on my radar to try…

coffee_cup

After Charleston Coffee Cup, we went to Water Dog Grill in Mt. Pleasant for lunch. Last Spring, Clay started working in Mt. Pleasant, so he’s tried a lot of MTP restaurants, and Water Dog’s one of his favorites. The staff knows his name and what he usually orders, and they fix his half-and-half sweet/unsweet tea for him as soon as he walks in.

Clay had a burger and I had the blacked mahi wrap with sweet potato fries, which was delicious, and the bar is set up so you can watch all the Sunday NFL games.

It was a great lunch date to relax after getting hyped up on coffee. We made a Costco run then came home to more football, monitoring our fantasy teams, and things like laundry to get ready for the week.

I hope everyone has a great week, and good luck to everyone training for halves, fulls, and turkey trots- not much longer!

This entry was posted in Downtown, Mt Pleasant, Summerville, Training Log, Yelp and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Weekly Rundown: November 2-8

1. Sounds like a great week! That Kermit picture is too funny. Had me LOL!! I ran the Savannah race too. It was my big A goal marathon. But by mile 7 I knew I had to drop down to the half. Since there was no way my pace could drop and I felt miserable I decided there was no point in running miserably. It broke my heart really. The whole thing was a freaking disaster! But I’m dusting it off, giving myself a break, and moving onward. Looking for a local turkey trot of some sort. 🙂 have a great weekend!

2. We’ve lost the humidity for the most part, but its still pretty warm. Hopefully the weather will change for you soon. Sorry you got sick this week, but glad you are feeling better now!

Humidity is by far the worst, but heat’s bad too. So one time it was 79 degrees and 39% humidity here and it felt like heaven. It’s amazing the difference in 79 degrees when the humidity is low vs. high…

3. Nice job on that tempo run! Until today, we really haven’t seen any fall temperatures. Friday was hot and HUMID here, and we are in PA! What is with this weather? If we are still hanging on to high temps in PA, I can’t imagine what Charleston is like. Those sweet potato fries…I need them!!

Yeah, we had about 3 days of Fall temperatures here, but I was out of town for two of them (haha) in NC. It seems like the cooler temperatures are here to stay with highs in the 70s and much lower humidity now.

4. Those sweet potato fries look AMAZING. The weather here in NC has been so crazy. It’s been raining like crazy but it’s also been HOT. Then all of a sudden I wake up this morning and it’s 40 degrees.

They were great fries! Our weather has also been rainy, cloudy, and dreary, just hot. Today isn’t as hot and feels more like Fall temps, plus it’s finally stopped raining!

5. GREAT training week, and welcome to the taper! Sweet potato fries = my life!<3

Those fries were really delicious, too. I brought half the wrap home, but I ate all the fries. This is the first restaurant I’ve visited with crinkle-cut sweet potato fries.

6. wanderwolf says:

Sounds like a great week (especially after your recovered from race/whatever you had). That progressive/tempo run looks nice! The whole thing was negative splits!
    The weather here was especially warm too… 6 AM and already 85 degrees with 87 humidity! Here’s to a better week for both of us 🙂

Ugh, that sounds miserable as well! I think you’re in Fla, though, right? I just can’t imagine…

I am a negative split runner. Even in my interval workouts, the first one is always the slowest. I think it comes with being a morning runner most of the time, it just takes that first mile for my legs to fully wake up (no matter how short or long the run is!).

• wanderwolf says:

It’s doable (the humidity I mean). It means I’m super fast (compared to my normals) when I get dry and coolish conditions. 🙂
        And I get you on the negative splits. I’m the same way… and it does have a lot to do with being a morning runner! But it’s much healthier than going out fast. The legs can’t just go out at tempo pace. They do need to ease into it.

It’s amazing how much speed the humidity sucks out of you. Last Saturday my 9 min/mile 12 mile run was hard, then yesterday I ran a half and averaged 7:37 min/mile pace… on a harder course but cool temps. I know people say you “acclimate”, and you do- to the point you can handle running in it. But there’s a reason why marathons in the South are held in Dec/Jan/Feb!

7. Laura says:

So glad that you were feeling better by the end of the week, recovery + sickness = no fun! Congrats on that awesome progressive/tempo run too!

Thanks- yeah, being sick is no fun. I guess my immune system was a little down, so I was probably susceptible to any little thing after that half. Glad it happened last week and not this week, at least!

8. Elizabeth C. says:

Nice week. I can’t believe it’s still warm down there! I hope you get some nice cool air ASAP. And it’s not surprising that it took you awhile to recover from the half. It was a hard effort, and you had been training hard the week prior. Glad to hear that you are well recovered now! Your Sunday morning progression/tempo run shows that you are in excellent shape.

It’s cooled off today- dreary, but I’m loving the temperatures. It was so humid Saturday that even the 9 min/mile pace felt hard. Obviously my lungs could tell a big difference on Sunday!

9. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Great week of training – those are impressive paces on your tempo run! Those sweet potato fries look so delicious. It’s funny – in Washington state and Oregon, most of the races are held between June and October since it’s not rainy season – the exact opposite of the rest of the country!

We have a lot of races here in the summer too- just shorter races. By October, half marathons start back but the earliest full marathon I know of around here is Halloween weekend (Spinx RunFest in Greenville, SC). I will say the month of August is always really slim because of the oppressive heat and humidity.

I was proud of my tempo paces. I’d hope to be in better shape this close to a half, but I did run 12 miles the day before. The temperature change made a big difference for my lungs.

10. awesome progressive run on sunday!!!!!!!! (I slept in and didn’t run until the afternoon)
    and yes the 12 miler with the heat and humidity wasn’t comfortable but hey, the miles and training are under your belt, and if for some reason you don’t get the time you want for this bridge 1/2, there is always the Charleston 1/2 (which is FLAT). But-You are more prepared for this race than what you think, so just show up on race day and see what happens!
    : )
    Glad you are feeling better and those sweet potato fries look yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Farrah says:

I would so love for it to feel like June! ;_; (I’m perpetually cold, hahaha.) It looks like you had a great week of workouts despite the heat though! :]!

I’m glad you’re feeling better! ❤

Yeah, I try not to let the heat stop me. After all, this is home. I live and race here so if it feels like death on race day, it’s not like they’ll cancel. June temperatures in SC can be pretty brutal in June, much less November… but the 100% humidity does make your lungs stronger.

12. Yay for tapering! I can’t believe (well, I guess I can) that you guys are still experiencing crazy warm temps! We’ve been in the 50s lately here in the Burgh, with some rain here and there. Not too bad. We are expecting our first snow this Friday!! Jimmy is soo pumped, haha.

I LOL’d at what you said at the beginning of this post about the long savasana pose. Too funny!

Fortunately today’s high is 77! It is supposed to cool down big time for this weekend though, and I’m not complaining. Hello 60 degree temperatures!

Last night was amazing. 60 degrees and our second cool night all “Fall” long :).

I like seeing snow on TV and in pictures. I don’t like seeing it in person, but I never do so it’s all good.

13. The weather was terrible Saturday for not only RnR Savannah but also for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon at WDW in Orlando. I think race organizers end up taking alot of heat from runners when they make appropriate decisions for the safety of runners. I too had heard about the runner who lost his life at the Savannah race….so very sad. Savasana pose was my favorite at my first Yoga class and this Type AA personality girl actually feel asleep in class. It was awesome!

I saw where Wine and Dine was cut short due to thunderstorms. It was just a rough weekend in general for all races. I’d like to say that if the weather was like that I’d just take it easy on race day, and maybe I would, but I know that people could easily get carried away in the moment and overdo it. I hate to hear of anyone dying while running :(.

I’ve seen people fall asleep in yoga classes during savasana! I haven’t, but I go in the morning 🙂