Weekly Rundown: October 26 – November 1

Happy Monday everyone!

12111954_10153709717374083_7085045729877911527_n

I hope everyone had a great Halloween. I hate to be a Halloween curmudgeon, but Clay watched horror movies at his friend’s house, so our light was off this year. My money and time were better spent on dinner at Triangle Char-N-Bar with Emily and Mariana, along a pint of Haagen Dazs.

I was in bed by 10:30 and enjoying my extra hour of sleep- but I won’t enjoy darkness as soon as I get off work in the evenings. My body’s getting used to this new time, which always makes me feel tired earlier. Extra sleep’s never a bad thing.

Monday: 60 minutes BodyPump + 5 miles (Fleet Feet Run Club)

Tuesday: 6.1 miles

Wednesday: 60 minutes BodyPump + 60 minutes Sunrise Yoga + 6 miles (Track)

Thursday: 5.2 miles

Friday: No workout

Saturday: 13.2 miles (Race 13.1 Charleston, finished in 1:48:35)

Sunday: 8.2 miles

Total: 43.7 miles, 2 BodyPump classes, 1 Sunrise Yoga class

I had a great week and shared some fun runs with fun people.

On Monday, I BodyPump-ed that morning, then went to the Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant Group Run that night. The folks from the Kiawah Marathon were at the group run and held a pumpkin pie eating contest and door prizes. The person who ate the pumpkin pie the fastest won a free entry into the race. I didn’t enter the contest, but everyone at the run got pumpkin pie to eat at their own pace.

12191777_519371531560588_3882514200521076848_n

It was drizzling rain but cooler outside and felt great- I ran up the Cooper River Bridge for part of my run to get some incline work in. I also won a door prize (Kiawah shirt from a previous year’s race and a chip clip).

11215729_519371561560585_7513642350717395510_n

On Wednesday, I BodyPump-ed, then hit the track in Summerville with the speedwork group for 16 x 400m (4 sets of 4 x 400m). We increased the number of reps from our usual 12, so this was 4 miles of hard sprinting. I started out at 5K pace for the first 4, then sped up toward the end.

This workout was a big mental hurdle for me because normally our speedwork only totals 3 miles of hard running, but by the end, I was so pumped and excited to reach a new milestone and that only helped my pace. Most of us had Halloween festivities with kids or other things to do, so we didn’t do drinks and food after.

12049112_10153572208236708_2583561647211178588_n

Another important thing happened on Wednesday- I received a complimentary entry to Saturday’s Race 13.1 Charleston held at Middleton Place. I received the free entry from Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina, who sponsored the race (I have BCBS insurance through work). Virginia is training for an ultra in January and needed some trail mileage, and I wanted one more long run before Georgetown Bridge to Bridge Half Marathon on November 14. Both of us ran the half marathon, and she added on some miles since her ultra training calls for a longer run.

A few others we run with (Sandy, Jon, Victor, Margaret, Liz) ran too, and everyone agreed Race 13.1 did a great job. Charleston is sorely lacking in good trail races, and Middleton Place Woodlands was a beautiful location for this.

The race was Halloween themed with a costume contest, tech shirt, and great finisher’s medal. I tried not to run super hard and finished with a time of 1:48:35, good enough for third place in my age group. I’ll recap the race more this week.

On Sunday, I was feeling the trail half, but I ran with the OnShore Sunday Run group. It was 73 degrees and 94% humidity and certainly didn’t feel like November. I ran a fairly easy pace for the 8 miles and enjoyed some good conversation.

I got a much-needed sports massage after the run- and scheduled a couple more massages since racing season is here.

12096024_454800508040967_1751260074426446569_n

Clay and I tried Bay Street Biergarden for brunch on Sunday. To start, we had a haus-made pretzels appetizer and he had some wings. I refueled with a delicious tri-color quinoa and argula salad (arugula, quinoa, roasted butternut squash, pecans, and goat cheese with balsamic dressing). Clay had the pork schnitzel sandwich and both of us agreed it was one of the better brunches we’ve had in Charleston.

Bay Street Biergarden has lots of beers on tap and TVs for watching NFL, and brunch was a fun way to end the Hallo-weekend.

DSCN9267-001

I hope everyone’s week is a great kickoff to November!

This entry was posted in Trail running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Weekly Rundown: October 26 – November 1

1. Hollie says:

That salad looks awesome. Your training this week looks awesome as well.

Sadly, I’m not getting used to this hour of sleep and still waking up at the twilight zone. I wish I had the ability to sleep in.

I haven’t slept in since the time changed! It feels really weird in the evenings but I’m glad I can get my runs in before work again (I work so much better when I run before work). Before, it wouldn’t become light out until 7:15 and was harder to get the miles in.

It was a great salad, although it could’ve used a bit more arugula. At least they didn’t skimp on the toppings- that made it quite filling.

2. Great training week! That food looks amazing, too! Ugh, the time change is really throwing me off – and my toddle is equally confused.

Thanks- yeah it is messing me up in the evenings, but it’s easier to wake up at least. The time change plus heat is messing with me. Daylight Savings Time and 80 degrees don’t mix…

3. Farrah says:

hahaha, I love that comic. 😀 I feel like November + Thanksgiving probably feels the same way about that! I feel like a Halloween race would be a lot of fun! 😀 Congrats on getting 3rd! ❤

Thank you! I read somewhere that Halloween was the 3rd biggest running holiday, behind Thanksgiving and July 4. With costumes and (usually) beautiful weather that’s a great thing!

4. Amazing job on the half marathon! So awesome! We also had our light off on Halloween. I was at a party at a friend’s house, so no trick or treaters at my door!

From what I heard, my neighborhood was swamped and most of those kids came from other neighborhoods (I saw a ton of cars at the front of the ‘hoo, which can only mean one thing). I almost ran over a few in my neighborhood when I came home at 8:30. I think the Nathan visibility lights runners use would be good for trick-or-treaters!

5. SuzLyfe says:

Great work on the half! That is fantastic. I know I will never be that fast, and I’m ok with it 😀 We all know that I pouted at home on Halloween. But I did trick or treat the bulk candy at Whole Foods, so there is that.

Thank you!

I am content with my speed. I’m not fast, but I’m not last (I’m always closer to first than last). I think if running brings you joy, speed does not matter. Whether you run a 6 minute mile or a 16 minute mile, running is a hobby for you.

I’m not complacent and I train to improve, but whatever pace you run, just own it. I own my 9 minute miles on easy days, which for me, is most days.

I never realized Whole Foods had bulk candy. I guess I should know that because Earth Fare does, but I’ve only been inside Whole Foods a few times. I don’t exactly live close to one, and it’s kinda pricey.

6. SOLID week!!!!!!!
    I *knew* you would make top 3 in AG, even when you didn’t race it
    : )
    you. rock.
    way to get some shake out miles the next day with onshore. i’m sure that massage felt like heaven!!!!!!!!

Yes it did! It was over a month since my last massage, and they help big time. I started getting them last Spring when I had a hip injury, and they were the only reason I was able to run the Bridge Run. I’m pretty committed to getting my massages because I don’t want to be injured (plus, it’s a nice way to treat yourself). Those first shakeout miles were really tough too. My easy pace is almost too slow for OnShore these days…

I was really surprised to place in my age group. This was a fairly large race with a lot of out of towners. While Charleston has a couple fast ladies, it is easy to place in your age group here if you train- at least in comparison to other areas of the US where road racing is more popular.

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Great time on the half and congrats on 3rd place in your AG! The time change throws me off as well and I never like it when it’s dark before 5pm – it makes me want to go to sleep so early!

Yeah, we will be speedwork-ing in the dark on Wednesday (but with lights on the track/field, at least). It does make me feel tired earlier but I really do need to go to bed earlier than I do. Sometimes it’s 11 PM when I get to sleep for a 5 AM wakeup call, and that’s just not good.

8. liz says:

We ran the exact same mileage, to the tenth of a mile, last week! Also: that brunch looks phenomenal!

It was great! It wasn’t cheap so it’s not somewhere we can go each week but I’d recommend Biergarten for a solid brunch in Charleston. They also have free parking!

9. I saw an advert for Christmas shopping on TV already…. It’s crazy how soon after Halloween it starts… What times does it get dark with you, now that the clocks have changed?

Christmas has been in Costco for months, and now Hallmark channel is airing Christmas movies. It’s crazy.

Yesterday it got dark around 5:30 here, but it was an overcast day so it was never very sunny out :(.

10. How great to get a free entry into a 13.1 – what a nice surprise! Sounds like it’s still really hot there – has been more fall-like here in VA although I think the heat is coming back this week… Nice going on the track! I am super-cautious about doing too much speedwork these days, glad the extra mile didn’t give you any trouble.

It was a big confidence booster that I needed. I’ve stuck with 3 mile workouts for so long.

I said if I felt off, I would stop with 13, 14, or 15 (and still would have gone out of my comfort zone just from doing more!).

I too am cautious about doing a lot of speedwork though. I’ve kinda figured out that my body can only handle one speed/track workout a week and a race-out/tempo maybe every two weeks. Never underestimate the value of easy miles!

11. Laura says:

Can’t wait to read more about the half! Congrats!

I think it’s awesome that you added a few more repeats at the track. It can definitely be a hurdle mentally when you know you are doing more than you are used to. Love that you finished strong and really felt that accomplishment!