Weekly Rundown and a Change of Plans: October 5-11

With major flooding in South Carolina, life lately is all about rolling with the punches tides and rising rivers. Running is no exception to that.

On Tuesday night, I received the e-mail that the Historic Georgetown Bridge to Bridge Half Marathon was rescheduled for November 14. The police who would be closing the roads for the course are needed to handle emergencies and disaster relief in Georgetown County.

11221968_942466375832272_1883448959305584871_o

I support the race 100%, feel like the right decision was made, and I will run on November 14. The race directors were very professional in handling the situation, and they e-mailed us early enough so that we could cancel our hotel and make alternate arrangements.

I’m grateful the race was postponed rather than cancelled. November 14 won’t work for everyone, but it is racing season and the date doesn’t conflict with any other races on the Grand Strand. It might work better for some runners and increase registrations.

Again, I feel very blessed and grateful. Clay and I didn’t have any home or property damage from the flooding- in fact, our power did not even flicker.

If the worst thing that happens to my family is rescheduling a leisure trip, we are extremely lucky.

Monday: 7.1 miles

Tuesday: 4.15 miles

Wednesday: 60 minutes BodyPump, 60 minutes sunrise yoga, 6 miles (speed)

Thursday: 7 miles

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 8 miles (bridge repeats)

Sunday: 14.05 miles (progressive long run)

Total: 46.2 miles

Monday classes were cancelled at my gym due to weather, so no BodyPump.  I was really grateful for the extra sleep before my half marathon, which hadn’t been postponed yet.

The race was postponed  Tuesday night, so on Wednesday, I got up for BodyPump at 6 AM, then stuck around for sunrise yoga since I was already at the gym. Sunrise yoga is a gentle class and more of a recovery exercise for me, but it feels very different (um, HARD) after 60 minutes of weights.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, so I topped off my Wednesday full of workouts at the Summerville High School track that evening. Since everyone was cooped up at home for a few days due to the flooding and closed roads, we had a big crowd and everyone was excited to run.

We ran a ladder (1200, 1000, 800, 600, 400) with 200m recoveries, with some extra 400m reps at the end, keeping everything under 5K pace.

After track, we headed downtown to Montreaux for food and recovery beverages. Since my birthday was Thursday, I picked the location. It’s my favorite restaurant in Summerville- I love the fish tacos and sweet potato fries, which I tried for the first time.

Plus, they have a drink called the Dragonberry for only $5- delicious and budget friendly.

I loved celebrating my birthday with my track friends. We’re an eclectic group of all ages, paces, distances, and even sports. We have people training for 5Ks, half marathons, marathons, ultra marathons, and lots of triathletes. The workouts and hangouts are one of the highlights of my week. Everyone’s made new friends and surprised themselves with the workouts they’ve completed, race times, and fabulous bars they’ve discovered.

I woke up feeling 30 years old on Thursday, most likely due to BodyPump, speedwork, and that Dragonberry drink. I had a nice progression run around the neighborhood, worked all day, and ate Firehouse Subs for lunch (you get a free sub if you show your ID on your birthday).

Clay and I celebrated that night by watching DVRed old school Nickelodeon shows like All That. He cooked, so we didn’t go out. Who needs to go out when your husband cooks?

Since I wasn’t running a half marathon on Saturday, I ran repeats on the Cooper River Bridge. I ran 4 repeats up the Mt. Pleasant (steep) side to the second column. The first repeat was a warm up that I ran with a friend, and the second and third were fine. The fourth repeat was tough, but I powered through it. I ran a total of 8 miles- 4 mile repeats- and it was hard but satisfying.

12029715_1190145327668004_5274543245112052324_o

The bridge repeats were great training for the James Island Connector Run on October 24. Don’t forget you can register and use the code Scott15 to save $5. If you need convincing, check out my five reasons to run the James Island Connector Run.

On Sunday, I ran a 14 mile progressive run at group run. For the first 6 miles, I ran with a friend running his next-to-last long run for MCM. It was nice easy downtown mileage. I picked it up the last 5 miles. The temperatures were cool and it was a beautiful Fall day in Charleston. The run gave me some confidence for the upcoming half.

12079684_449858755201809_268342602931740166_n

I hope everyone had a good week and is staying safe and dry!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Weekly Rundown and a Change of Plans: October 5-11

1. lolorunnah says:

Happy Belated Birthday!! You had a great week of training and I’m very happy to hear you and your husband didn’t experience any damage from the floods! If you lived in jersey I’d say come to my half this weekend ! A November half sounds great though and gives you some more time to prepare.

Thanks. I won’t be racing this weekend, but I do have a race next weekend at least. It’s kinda weird and rare for me to go 4 weekends in a row without one, but that’s life.

November’s a great month for half marathons in SC. October is very iffy with the weather as it can be nice, but it can also still be insanely hot. In fact, it was pretty warm Saturday, at least warm for half marathon standards (but ok for 5K).

2. Hollie says:

Happy belated birthday Amy! It sounds like you had a great week despite things changing. Anything feels hard to me after weights so I understand your pain!

3. Angela says:

Happy Belated Birthday! Loving those recovery beverages 🙂

4. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Happy belated birthday! You had such a great week of training again – your bridge workout sounds both fun and so challenging! I’m glad to hear you’re staying safe in those floods, and it was really wise of the race directors to postpone.

It was a challenging workout but fun. The bridge is rough (the incline and surface) and a commute for me, so I don’t run it a ton. This workout let me make the most of being near the bridge by getting in multiple repeats. Since each was a mile, I can even look at the Garmin and see the pace differences in obvious uphill/downhill!

5. “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing” –> YESSS!!! Love. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Sounds like you had a great time celebrating. I love your outlook on the half – you are so positive! I am so glad the race directors kept everyone informed and made the decision early!

With the race… the decision was made, and being negative or upset wouldn’t change it. I have some friends who were already signed up for other races that day, or who just had other plans, so I hope they can transfer their entries to someone else (they’re allowed to- it’s just a matter of finding someone to take em).

I am very thankful they made this decision early. On Saturday, a triathlon was scheduled in Columbia (~2 hours away) and I had some friends who made the drive before, stayed in a hotel, and the day of the race, it ended up being cancelled due to weather. I think they should have cancelled or postponed sooner because Cola was a lot worse off than Coastal SC/Charleston/Georgetown.

6. Another solid week, chica! glad you had a happy birthday and your husband cooked for you!
    Wednesdays are becoming part of my favorite day as well in regards to speed work and recovery beverages. It is a good crew to be around!
    Also, thank you again for running with me on Sunday. I’m glad I was able to keep you in sight and hang with yall those last 5 miles for 2 reasons- 1) I needed the distance and progressive miles and 2) I had to keep you in sight so I knew the way to get back to my car,lol!!!
    I have no doubts you will be ready for your upcoming half-you may even surprise yourself on race day!
    Heres to another good week of running ahead!

You’re welcome! I did keep looking back to make sure you and Gracie were okay- she knows the way back but she’s in high school so we watch out for her too. It was a great training run and I felt it later that evening, whew!

We’re gonna rock our half marathons :).

7. Kara says:

I’m envious of your running group – wish I could find one by me! Way to go with all the workouts…you inspire me! Thinking of you all and hoping everyone is okay after the flooding.

8. Belated happy Birthday Amy! It looks like you had a great celebration with your running group and then having your husband cook. I love the nights when Tom cooks on the grill! I’m so sorry things are still such a mess in SC, but grateful for tor you and others than seemed to have fared very well during the storm. We had some flooding in Wilmington, but our area was not affected.

9. Theresa says:

YAY recovery drinks! 🙂

10. Elizabeth C. says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Sounds like a strong week of training. A 14-mile progression run is tough. Sorry that they moved the race, but at least it’s still happening!

11. Will you still be able to do the half with the rescheduling?
    Hope you had a rocking birthday.

I’m still running the half on the rescheduled date.

I initially planned to run the Old Village Harbor 5K that day, and while I’m sad I have to miss that race now, I’ll stick with Georgetown because they do a great job with the race and it’s a small town, homegrown event (Old Village Harbor 5K is too), and I like those :).

12. Jennifer says:

Happy Belated Birthday, Amy! So glad the race was rescheduled. There was one race that was canceled in the DC area and it did not even rain – I know folks were not too happy with how the RD communicated the news to them and what were the options for them.