Weekly Rundown: Sept 28 – Oct 4

With the Charleston flooding, training was all about improvising this week. You have to roll with the punches- or tides, waves, and rainfall.

62548447

I ran 5 times this week, but no run is worth risking your life or safety over. If you altered your running due to weather, or took the entire wet weekend off, you are as much of a runner as someone who ran all the miles.

Running is all what you feel comfortable with, and it’s your choice. We’re all adults and none of us are getting paid to run; it’s our hobby. If running in the rain and braving the weather isn’t safe- or if it doesn’t bring you joy- *don’t do it*. Life’s too short to run if you don’t want to.

On Saturday, my friend Paul took these pictures downtown on our usual Sunday running route. The news saw him and stopped him for an interview since they saw a crazy person running and figured they could get a story from it. Gotta love the media.

12119913_10100888902070059_89804024127328133_o

12110009_10100888902139919_2059606750462910750_o

11230858_10100888902075049_2403384695803062382_o

The Georgetown Bridge to Bridge Half Marathon is less than a week away, and nothing can salvage my (lack of) training now. At this point, the risk is greater than the reward, and I wasn’t taking a risk on the flooded streets.

As far as training for this half, the heat impacted my motivation, and I haven’t done any tempo runs at race pace, nor any runs longer than 12 miles. I suppose this is the reality of an early October half marathon in South Carolina. Maybe with cooler temperatures on race day, my legs and lungs can gut it out for 13.1 miles.

Monday: BodyPump + 30 minutes Arc Trainer + 15 minutes elliptical

Tuesday: 7.1 miles (progressive)

Wednesday: Sunrise yoga + 6 miles speedwork

Thursday: 7.1 miles

Friday: 8.1 miles

Saturday: No workout.

Sunday: 6.1 miles

Total: 34.4 miles, 60 min. BodyPump, 60 min. yoga, 45 minutes cross training.

On Monday, I did an hour long BodyPump class that morning, then headed to Planet Fitness for some Arc Trainer time after work.  I joined Planet Fitness for 24-7 gym access in case weather situations like this flooding occurred. $10 a month to guarantee I get my runs in is a steal.

Charleston’s Planet Fitness conveniently closed for renovations the day before the rain began.

On Tuesday, the temperature was 74 degrees, with a dew point of 74 and 99% humidity. I ran a 6 mile progressive run, then a 1 mile cooldown, hitting half marathon pace in the last mile of my progressive run. Clearly this was because our humidity was only 99% instead of the usual 100%.

Wednesday speedwork was really good this week. The chance of rain cancelled youth sports, including soccer and football. Since all the kids’ games were cancelled, the track was empty for us adults to train hard. We ran 3 x 1200m followed by 3 x 400m, then headed to a restaurant called the Shuckin’ Shack for recovery beverages. The Shuckin’ Shack was a bit disappointing, but oh well.

I usually rest on Friday, but with the upcoming flooding, I managed to squeeze in 8 miles before the rain started. Since it rained all day Saturday, I spent the day in my pajamas watching football and eating peanut butter from the jar. Props to my friends who got long runs in on the treadmill or in the rain- our track group went to the Summerville YMCA and claimed a row of treadmills, all for their weekly long runs.

Sunday wasn’t nearly as rainy, but the water didn’t go anywhere. I managed a 6.1 mile run in my neighborhood because I was unable to leave the neighborhood- both roads were flooded and closed. A lot of people were in the neighborhood running, biking, and walking their dogs and everyone was really friendly.

Here are some pictures from my neighborhood on Sunday. My home (and all the homes in my subdivision) are safe, and we didn’t even lose power. I hoped to run longer, but if the worst thing that happens to me with the flooding is running 6 miles instead of 10, I’m lucky. I need the extra rest and recovery before Saturday, anyway.

12115955_10103507151901397_7648823186569354779_n

12107144_10103507152545107_8191634830782925261_n

12140621_10103507152400397_5914494145480542276_n

12109299_10103507152150897_5356461195186112124_n

Bring on the sun, cooler temperatures, and bridges!

This entry was posted in Charleston, Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Weekly Rundown: Sept 28 – Oct 4

1. What a weekend huh! Man that was exciting. Never been so excited to go to work this morning just to get out of the house!

2. Way to go! You’re going to be fine for the half, and I bet you’ll have a great surprise race day! The weather was insane, I am glad your place is safe, ours was too. 61 around our neighborhood was starting to get bad last night, so we had to cancel our boot camps incase Dan nor I could get out. Man, I’m ready for this stuff to be over! Dan just read that winds are supposed to pick up today and with it, trees since the ground is so wet. STay safe!

I don’t blame you to cancel boot camp one bit. It’s not worth it to try to get out- you never know what the conditions are like where your boot campers live, and plus what if it started raining like crazy and you, Dan, or someone else got stuck there? I have seen a few people complaining about places being closed (first world problem!) but for the most part, people are staying in and understanding.

Glad you guys are okay- I saw where some places on 61 were pretty rough. Shadowmoss is terrible and only a few miles from both of us, but we aren’t too bad, so it really varies neighborhood by neighborhood.

3. Ugh so sorry you are dealing with all of that flooding! I’m in North Carolina but we got spared… it was nearly as bad here as they thought it was going to be. Glad you are okay!

Certain areas here are really bad. I’m glad my neighborhood isn’t one of them. It hasn’t really rained today, thank goodness, but it will take awhile for all this water to dry up…

4. KrisLawrence says:

Yikes!! Stay safe girl!!!

We are- in fact much of the water that was on the roads yesterday has since receded as of this morning. I really believe Columbia got the worst of it, not Charleston.

5. lolorunnah says:

Thought of you as I saw the flooding on the news!! Glad you are safe and well!

6. So sorry for the flooding in your area! So glad you made the decision to stay IN and SAFE! I wish I could have joined you for your Saturday. Pajamas and PB? YES PLEASE!

Definitely! No run or workout is worth risking your life over, and even though I had to cut my Sunday run short, it’s better to do that than run more than you should sometimes, especially so close to a race.

You can’t beat watching football in your pajamas all day on a Saturday. It was kinda nice :).

7. Elizabeth C. says:

Wow- that flooding looks awful. I actually had no idea you guys were hit so hard. I think you aren’t giving yourself enough credit for your half marathon training. I’ve been following your training and I think you’ll be more prepared than you think. And I also don’t think you need to run farther than 12 miles to train for a half marathon. It’s all about consistency, which you have. Nice job getting it done this week!

Yeah, I’ve run several half marathons without running 13 milers- I just feel SO much more confident when I’ve run at least one. I have been super consistent this training cycle, though, and running at least 5 days a week (6 most weeks).

I’m thinking I will taper a little this week, which I’ve never done before but I don’t have anything to lose right now by resting a little more :).

8. Glad your neighborhood stayed safe and dry! Those pictures are crazy! (and leave it to Paul to be the crazy runner,lol!!!! Theres no way I could have headed that way to run even if I tried-)
    Parts of Summerville got hit really bad and several roads were closed and rerouted as well. (Thankfully our neighborhood stayed above the water)
    I think you will do better than what you think this weekend. You are prepared way more than what you give yourself credit for!
    Im getting excited for you!!!!!

I would not have been able to get there either. I don’t think anyone showed on Sunday except maybe someone who lived on the peninsula. It wasn’t worth it for me to risk it, and at least out here, I got my 6 miles in without having to dodge too many puddles (so I kept a decent pace).

I’m hoping a few days of pre-race rest (not complete rest, but just easier than usual) will help too.

9. Sarah says:

Dang look at all that water! I agree completely, changing up workout/run plans > risking it with flooding. Besides your race is so soon (you’re going to rock it!) so it’s definitely not worth it… not that it would be regardless.

10. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Yikes, that’s so much flooding! I’m glad you’re playing it smart and staying safe. That’s a bummer though about your gym being closed right as the storms hit! I think you’re going to do great at your race – you’ve had several high mileage weeks and have done a lot of hill work, which is speed work in its own right. Hopefully the weather is better for your race!

I hope it is too. They have sent out several emails saying it’s still on (the area where the race is held apparently got hit pretty badly, but the course itself is fine). I’m just glad the race will be held and I’m healthy/safe and can run it.

11. Sorry that your neighborhood is so crazy. I keep hearing so much about Shadowmoss. Glad everything is okay with your yard/house.

Yeah, we lived in Shadowmoss when we moved here. We’re really glad we did not buy a home there… it has always flooded pretty bad but this time was really epic 😦

12. I have been thinking about you and Clay with all of the rain and flooding in Charleston. I am soo happy to hear you guys are doing okay!

13. Farrah says:

Goodness, that is some insane flooding! x_x I’m glad your place is okay! I wish you the best on your half!

14. Oh Amy, those photos really show how rough Charleston got hit. And I know from our Twitter communication that you were on the lucky side. Cutting a run short because you can’t leave the neighborhood seemed a small price to pay for a safe dry home with electricity. We were lucky here and while our street was impassable for a very short period of time, nothing really affected us other than my running. That does not count when people are losing belongings and homes due to the devastation of Joaquin. By the way, I was one of the crazies who did a super long treadmill run-18 miles!

15. Laura says:

All of the flooding is insane! Hope it gets better soon though, good work getting things done despite the weather. I think you are going to surprise yourself with the half marathon!

Thanks. My race actually got postponed last night, but the RDs made the right call with the flooding conditions (the police are needed to handle emergencies, so they cannot close the roads for the course).

16. Alaina @ thesimplepeach says:

You are on your way to a great half! I hate hearing about all this flooding. Be careful!

17. Liz says:

Those photos are crazy! I’m so glad that your home is okay (and you guys too!). I’m impressed that you still got in so many miles even with the roads being like that! I would have spent all days in my PJs on the couch- not just one!

I was so stir crazy and had to get out! Even with so many local roads closed to cars on Sunday, my neighborhood was open and I could run there, so I did. But it was a good excuse for some rest too, and we all need extra rest!

• Liz says:

I guess I get that! I did go for a 7 mile walk when I was snowed in a few years ago! It was so slippery and freezing but I HAD to get out! Every single road nearby was iced over but Jon’s Jeep was able to get out, so he went to the hospital to help out the people there and I had cabin fever!

ATL doesn’t get a ton of snow (although it gets more and colder there than Charleston but everywhere’s colder than Charleston)- so i can totally understand the cabin fever and how crazy things were with the weather. Glad Jon has a Jeep so he can get out in bad weather!