Weekly Rundown: September 21-27

I hope everyone had a great week and restful weekend. A lot of us ran local road races this weekend, so it wasn’t completely restful. After spending last weekend in Myrtle Beach, I was glad to be home and in my own bed.

On Thursday, I found out I was selected as an ambassador for the James Island Connector Run, so I added that race to my schedule. The race is October 24, and the race crept up on all of us since the date is two weeks earlier than usual this year. It is a great race and I hope I’m recovered and ready to tackle even more inclines since it’s two weeks after my half.

If you need convincing, check out my Five Reasons to Run the James Island Connector Run. The race also sent me the discount code Scott15 to save everyone $5. You can register here.

JICR_thumb.jpg

Besides adding the James Island Connector Run to my race schedule, I decided not to run the Kiawah Half. The Reindeer Run 5K is the same day, and it’s one of the largest 5Ks in the state. Truthfully, it wasn’t a hard decision because Kiawah’s expensive, and half marathons can be brutal.

Plus, the Reindeer Run is 10 miles shorter- so I can get to the finish line and party quicker.

Monday: BodyPump + 6 miles

Tuesday: 5.1 miles (2.1 mile warmup, 8 x 400m, 1 mile cooldown)

Wednesday: Sunrise yoga + 6.1 miles (hills)

Thursday: 8 miles

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 7.5 miles, including the Carolina Children’s Charity 5K (22:21)

Sunday: 12.1 miles

Total: 44.8 miles, 1 yoga class, 1 BodyPump class

I ate a lot of “good for the soul, bad for the running” food in Myrtle Beach last weekend, and it took a few days to leave my system, so Monday’s run was pretty rough. I run 6 days a week, so I figure each week has at least one tough run. It’s nice to get it out of the way early.

On Tuesday, I ran 8 x 400m at the Citadel track. It’s not a fast track and no one wanted to do much speedwork, so I cut down the number of reps but ran faster.

Wednesday is my usual track day, but the middle school football team has taken over the Summerville High School track, so a bunch of us gathered to run hill repeats in a local neighborhood. It’s surprising to find hills in Summerville, but they are around. Only a Lowcountry runner would consider them hills, but it was a nice change from flat ground and the evil oval.

12038423_10153510888621708_75505480634574756_n (1)

No one went out for recovery beverages after the hill workout, so I dropped by Publix to pick up some Ben and Jerry’s since it’s on sale this week. I treat myself to a serving of B&J most evenings after dinner, and my favorite flavors are Milk and Cookies and The Tonight Dough.

My name is Amy Lauren, and I hoard pints of Ben and Jerry’s.

On Saturday, I ran the Carolina Children’s Charity 5K. I ran a 22:21, which is on the slower end for my 5Ks, but I’m at peace with that. Between humidity, high mileage (45 mpw for the past 3 weeks!), and a hill in the final mile, I knew it wouldn’t be a PR or ER day. I stuck it out and was 2nd place female overall.

The Carolina Children’s Charity 5K was a small race with lots of vendors, food, and jump castles. This is the only race I’ve seen in Hanahan, which is near North Charleston. Running somewhere new to me was fun.

Sunday, I ran a little over 12 miles with OnShore Racing. This was my last long run before the half marathon. I arrived early and ran 3, ran the 8 mile route with Melissa and Mariana, and we all ran an extra mile so Melissa could hit 9. She’s training for the Sweet Tea Half Marathon in November.

We had a great run, but 100% humidity is no joke. I’m glad my long runs are done and I’m now hoping for lower humidity and temperatures for the Historic Georgetown Bridge 2 Bridge Half Marathon. I skipped brunch to buy groceries and drink a peanut butter and banana protein shake and work on some projects at home.

I hope everyone has a great week!

This entry was posted in James Island Connector Run, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Weekly Rundown: September 21-27

1. Eat some B&J for me! My husband doesn’t let me have it in the house because then he’ll eat it… 🙂

2. Theresa says:

That cooler week a couple weeks ago was such a tease. :/. Part of the reason I decided not to race this weekend was because it was so humid. I want to wear long sleeves!

3. KrisLawrence says:

Congrats on the ambassadorship and also the 2nd place finishing! Also, “good for the soul, bad for the running” is my favorite fuel, ha ha ha.

4. Christine says:

As I’ve said a million times, I’m over this humidity. Nice job on your race, even with the 100% humidity! I’m supposed to run the IOP Connector 10K this weekend. If it’s humid, I’m bailing. I’m just not into these slogfests anymore.

I was sort of disappointed that they move the Reindeer Run to the same weekend as Kiawah. It’s always been the previous weekend, and I was thinking of running it this year as a shakeout/easy run during taper week.

Another friend and I were talking about Reindeer Run on Facebook. She’s also running Kiawah and was disappointed, so she emailed them to ask why they changed the date (in case they weren’t aware that Kiawah was the same day which will obviously impact the numbers for both races).

Turns out, the cruise ship is in port on Dec. 5, so the city did not want to grant them that date due to crowds and traffic downtown. Hopefully next year, they will not be on the same date.

The weather is supposed to cool down starting Wednesday. The IOP Connector Run should be pleasant, weather wise. No brutal humidity, just brutal Connector surface ;).

• Christine says:

Yeah, hopefully the weather is good. The connector surface doesn’t really bother me, or at least I didn’t notice it bothering me last year (or on the James Island Connector Run). At least I’m getting two holiday races in with the Turkey Day Run and the Nexton Cocoa Cup (which is a week after the marathon, so I think I’ll be bringing up the back of the back with a stroller walk/run), even if I have to miss the Reindeer Run.

I vote that you heavily decorate your stroller for that Cocoa Cup and have fun with it, especially a week after the ‘thon. If the race is anything like last year, I highly doubt you will be a BOPer (Back Of Pack -er) bc I remember tons of walkers.

The surfaces of the connectors and bridge never bother me when I’m racing on them- I suppose the endorphins dull it. But later- especially on Monday- my legs feel it! Must be that 48 hour DOMs…

• Christine says:

Yeah, I meant back of the pack, not back of the back! Anyway, yeah I’ll be out with the stroller. My husband is running it, too, so it all depends how I feel if I decide to run or run/walk with him and the stroller. Either way, the stroller will be there, with bells on!

I don’t think you will be in the back at all ;).

5. The humidity on race day was horrible,but hey you survived and walked away with a 2nd overall!
    Thank you for running with me on Sunday. I would have been literally lost without you! I’m glad I was able to get the miles in with good company and NOT on a treadmill!!!!!!!!!
    I totally laughed out loud about your B&J addiction,btw. Sadly I am lactose intolerant and cant handle “real” ice cream. My addiction is gummibears and I keep my stash way up high on the cabinet shelf,behind the bowls so it takes work to get it down,lol!
    Great training week, enjoy your taper for your half coming up,and lets hope mother nature is done teasing us and will finally bring the fall temps back (with lower humidity)!

It was quite an awesome run yesterday. Thanks for making the trek from the ‘ville. I’ll run with you any Sunday you need to do a long run. I’ve had to do a few long runs on the ‘mill and it’s certainly no fun (unless there’s a good football game or movie on).

The three days of Fall weather we had a couple weeks ago was such a tease…

6. I love that – “good for the soul, bad for the running” food! I think that’s exactly what you should be doing on vacation!!! Congrats on taking 2nd female overall. Also, I need that Speculoos Ben and Jerrys!

Speculoos is really good! I’m not a fan of Trader Joe’s “Cookie Butter” but I liked this ice cream. It’s very caramel-y.

In terms of flavors, Milk and Cookies is my favorite, hands down, followed by The Tonight Dough, then Speculoos. I haven’t opened the Red Velvet one yet, so can’t comment on it.

Americone Dream was a bit of a disappointment. The waffle cone pieces were a little soggy in the ice cream. I’m sure the pint will eventually be finished off, but 3/4 of the pint is still in my freezer and I haven’t dug into it since the night I opened it.

• Mmmmmmmm now I need to go to the store after work and go investigate what I can find. OMG. I’m sitting here drooling over your comment, soggy waffle cones and all. I freaking love ice cream!!!!

I do too- you’ll like the speculoos flavor. It’s not that Americone dream was bad, but I feel like it could’ve been so much better coming from Ben and Jerry’s. I’d probably opt for a Nutty Buddy.

7. Elizabeth C. says:

If there was ever any doubt that we had a lot of things in common- it’s gone. I, too, hoard Ben and Jerry’s and I have 3 pints in my freezer right now. I usually have 1-2 scoops after dinner and I love it! I love that Milk and Cookies flavor, and Red Velvet is also yummy. Great week- nice job continuing to train hard and balancing the tough days with rest. Oh, and congrats on being an ambassador!

The best thing about rich, high-quality, ice cream like Ben and Jerry’s is that you only need 1-2 scoops to feel satisfied and happy. I’ve bought the cheap stuff, the “frozen dairy dessert” that isn’t real ice cream- and it just leaves me craving more sugar or eating the entire container.

I guess we’re not ice cream hoarders, since we actually eat it- but the good stuff isn’t on sale often, so why not stock up?

8. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on your second place finish! I love “good for the soul, bad for the running food” – it’s always worth a few rough miles for me, especially when it’s on vacation.

Thanks! Yeah, it’s important to just eat whatever you want on vacation- nobody does many vacations each year and some people don’t take them at all. All about balance :).

9. Oh my gosh those Ben & Jerry’s would call my name and I would eat them right away!

10. Kristin says:

Good food always sounds like a great idea at the time…. until the run happens the next day!!