Friday Five: Fall Bucket List

Today, I’m linking up with Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run for the Friday Five linkup. Each week, the link up has a different theme, and everyone gives their personal insight on the same subject.

DC_linkup

This week is Free Friday, so I’m writing a Fall Bucket List. We’re lacking Fall weather in Charleston, but a girl can dream, right?

Go to a football game

Nothing says Fall like football. Clay and I are huge South Carolina Gamecocks fans, but I’m not one to turn down any sporting event, especially not football games. We try to make it to Williams Brice Stadium each year to see the Gamecocks play, but we haven’t been in a few years and it’s time to change that!

Copy of Picture 022

Last year, Clay’s high school football team went to the state championship game, so we traveled to Columbia to see them play. If they go back, we will too!

Visit our grandparents

Our grandparents live in North Carolina, and we hope to visit them soon. They are biologically Clay’s grandparents, but I’ve considered them family ever since I met them, when Clay and I were dating in college. They live near the mountains, so Fall is the perfect time to visit.

1390615_677986697893_1012812054_n.jpg

Grandpa Harold had some medical issues this summer, so we want to make a trip to spend time with them while they’re still in good health. We haven’t seen them since Christmas 2013 because our schedules haven’t worked out, and I miss them so much.

190595_530689747163_83200803_30878387_1095253_n

198128_530580466163_83200803_30876864_5838649_n

Try a new restaurant

September says goodbye to many tourists and hello to Charleston Restaurant Week. I’ll argue that Charleston Restaurant Week is not always a great deal because of the fixed-price menus that include appetizers and desserts, which we rarely order, as well as smaller portions and a limited selection. However, some deals are better than others, and we almost always support a local restaurant or two in September, since most places extend Restaurant Week for the month.

DSCN5146.jpg

Perusing the Charleston Restaurant Week menus gives me a few ideas for fun restaurants to try, especially since downtown isn’t as crowded. Apparently Restaurant Week in September is a “thing” in a lot of cities, so you might want to look into this regardless of where you live.

Watch Halloween movies

I love holiday movies and TV shows, and Halloween is no exception. October is time for the 13 Days of Halloween on ABC Family, which means lots of Addams Family, Hocus Pocus, and Casper. Plus, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown always comes on network TV.

If you don’t like seasonal shows and movies, most TV series are returning for the new Fall season.

Run in a costume

Racing in costumes, tutus, and skirts isn’t for me, but each year, my Sunday run group hosts a costume run complete with prizes, awards, and post-race booze and refreshments. Last year, the Carnival Fantasy cruise ship was in port the day of our run, so it was funny seeing the cruisers’ faces as we ran by the port in costume.

DSCN7946.jpg

If you do like running your race in a costume, Halloween is on Saturday this year, so chances are you can find a race near you to wear it.

522040_10153201371605283_3407377541797747560_n.jpg

What are you guys looking forward to this Fall?

This entry was posted in Friday Five Linkup and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Friday Five: Fall Bucket List

1. Liz says:

We’re going Taste of Atlanta this month which is a big event where restaurants come into Atlanta and have booths set up with food. We have always talked about going but finally bought tickets! I feel like there is a more expensive version, but this was $25 and not bad! I’m just looking forward to some fall days outside in the cooler weather! I love spending days like that outside! I need to enjoy my peaceful, breezy, childless days while possible, haha 🙂

$25 isn’t bad at all- especially ATL because that’s one expensive city and you get to sample a lot for your $25. I’ve seen a few Restaurant Week deals that are good but the reservations are completely sold out!

• Liz says:

We have another restaurant festival thing that is about $100 per person! I think that’s why I always assumed Taste of Atlanta was so expensive. I have a feeling it’ll feel like a $25 festival though, haha. We’re going to get there earlier in the day to make sure we get to the good food!

2. Kindal Boyle says:

Fun! We’re pumped for football too (Clemson and Philly Eagles!). And of course like you going up to the mountains! Halloween is Dan’s favorite. We do a family (his sister and mom joins in) for a Halloween book club. And we watch horror movies the entire week of Halloween. So much fun!

We don’t really have an NFL team so we kind of watch them all, but we like it because… football :). We also watch the Clemson games as a kid I used to coach in track, in Florence, is a kicker for them now- Alex Spence. Obviously I prefer the Gamecocks on that last Saturday of November but I have to root on my former Florence Track Club athletes at Clemson!

3. i did not realize halloween is on a saturday this year! yay, that’s fun. it’s so nice that you’ll be able to visit y’alls grandparents. i hope you have a great weekend 🙂

4. Jane Likes to Run says:

I’m looking forward to football and the leaves changing. It’s always so pretty!

5. Hollie says:

I’m looking forward to racing on Halloween and dressing up. I really enjoyed reading this Amy and seeing what you are up too.

I love that Halloween is on a Saturday. Most all races around that day have a costume contest or people dressing up, but it’s fun that it’s on Saturday this year because the next day isn’t a work day.

6. has2run says:

I am looking forward to new fall shows on TV. Baking (which is a no brainer since I am baking my way through a cookbook), fall scented candles. Have a great day
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

7. With Halloween on Saturday and the night before the NYC Marathon it will be interesting to see if my friend and I get any sleep before the race. I also love watching It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and enjoy the cool weather. Your race costume photo is so cute. I forgot that cruise ships go into Charleston. That’s great for the city in terms of economics, but probably not for the locals!

Most locals are cool with the cruise ship- it’s the politicians that don’t like it ;). We only have one that leaves from here, Carnival Fantasy, and it’s a small ship. It’s only in town one day a week and the area where it leaves from is a tourist area. Occasionally in the Fall and Spring we have super small cruise ships that leave from other countries and make calls/stops here, but those don’t disrupt traffic and most of those passengers go to the outlets to shop ;).

8. WE looked at colleges last year in Charlseton such a fun town but alas my daughter went to IU so we are now Hoosiers!

9. Halloween is always great for a race. Love dressing up in costumes. Love the week of the Halloween movies too.

10. fitpinkfeet says:

11. Great list!! I love how it involves things like FAMILY! Your wedding photo is beautiful. 🙂 I’ve never run in a costume…I’m too boring of a runner LOL!! But, you’re just too cute. Have a beautiful weekend girly!!

I have only run in costume a few times. I don’t think it’s really boring, but it’s not exactly a good idea for a race unless you can practice running in it. If I pay for an event I am going for time (even if it’s a crappy finish time!) and want to be comfortable in what I’m wearing. We have pub runs and things here that you can do in costume though for free :).

12. What a great list! I love how well rounded it is – it’s got a little bit of everything. Now you have me thinking about what I am looking forward to for fall…hmmmm!!!

13. Jennifer says:

You look adorable in your costume. I look fwd to hearing about your RW selections/outings. This fall..non-running…. I would like to go hiking near Harpers Ferry in MD/WV.

This weekend, we had food from three different restaurants, including one that’s new to us. No Restaurant Week menu restaurants, but we are trying some new places lately and it’s been fun.

14. I was just talking last night about how long it has been since I have seen a game, not on TV.

Our game turned out ugly last night and I’m hoping the season gets better for us. Looks like our QB might be out for awhile.

Gotta say, Charleston is a tough city for live football. We have CSU and The Citadel in town, and those tickets are cheap (there are even groupons for Citadel tickets), if you just want to see a game and don’t care about teams. But Columbia is a drive for Carolina, and any pro team involves a weekend trip…

15. love your list!
    The leaves in NC are so beautiful! I hope you can time the trip just right so you can se the colors during their peak!
    Im looking forward to using pumpkin spices for baking and holiday scented candles again!
    Ive never raced in costume before which is something that may have to change this year!

Oh, and my husband made the trip to Columbia on Saturday for the game- it is harder to see live pro games here as you mentioned, but at least we have moved back to the SEC so good games are always playing somewhere on TV.
    : )

Even if you don’t want to race in costume, you can find a costumed run! If you’re free on a Sunday you could come to ours downtown but I’m sure Fleet Feet will be having something too.

When the game started on Saturday I said I wished I was there but by the end of the first half I was really glad I was not there… I would still love to go this year although I am rethinking which game I want to attend… USC vs. The Citadel, maybe? Even then… I have seen The Citadel play and they’re not bad…

16. Farrah says:

These are fun goals! :]! I’ve never run in a costume, and now that I think of it, I think the only “Halloween” movie I’ve ever really watched = The Nightmare Before Christmas (does that even count? :O )!

17. Your bucket list sounds like so much fun! Fall is definitely the perfect time to visit NC, and I’m sure it will be great to be able to see family, too! I love when you try new restaurants and post about them! I mentally add them to a list for when I (someday) visit Charleston :).