Friday Five: Five Fall Races in the Charleston Area

Today, I’m linking up with Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run for the Friday Five linkup. Each week, the link up has a different theme, and everyone gives their personal insight on the same subject.

DC_linkup

This week’s theme is five Fall races.

All of these races are in the Charleston, SC area. I’ve picked various race distances, terrain, levels, and areas around Charleston so everyone can read about an option that’s right for them. I have also participated in all of these events myself.

September 12: Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile + Relay

Last year, I ran the inaugural Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile trail race which benefits the Lowcountry Autism Foundation. It’s on a horse trail in the middle of nowhere, and it’s still pretty hot in September, but helping families and kids with autism is a great cause and worth it. The post-race mimosas, candy, and burritos aren’t bad either.

DSCN7692_thumb.jpg

At the Raccoon Pond Rush race, you can run a solo 10 miler. Since most of us have never run a 10 mile race, it’s a pretty good chance to PR by default- or a great long run if you are training for a 10K or half marathon.

You can register for the 4-person relay, 2-person relay, or solo 10 miler, making this a perfect opportunity to practice your trail running before some of the upcoming trail races such as the Lowcountry Trail Half Marathon, Race 13.1 Charleston, or the Ultra Chili 50K.

You can register at EventBrite.

September 19: Fall Equinox 10K

If you’re looking for a race to qualify for a Cooper River Bridge corral (seeded or competitive), the Fall Equinox 10K is it.

DSCN7729_thumb.jpg

Held in Hampton Park, the Fall Equinox 10K is the only flat and fast 10K Charleston has to offer. If you’ve been running through the summer, this race is a great opportunity to capitalize on the strength you’ve built from running in the heat. Unlike the Bridge Run, you can enjoy free beer at the end if that’s your thing.

Since most area 10Ks involve bridges, connectors, and crowds, chances are you haven’t run a flat one in a while. This is a good race to shoot for a 10K PR and I set a PR here last year.

DSCN7854_thumb.jpg

Register online through OnShore Racing.

October 10: Avondale 5K

While the number of running events in West Ashley is climbing, the Avondale 5K is a long-time event and very well attended. This race begins and ends at Triangle Char-N-Bar and benefits the Charles Webb Children’s Center.

DSCN7906_thumb.jpg

The Avondale 5K course runs through the Avondale neighborhood with several turns, but you can still run a fast race and celebrate with free mimosas and breakfast burritos from Triangle. I ran this race last year, and the after party is one you don’t want to miss. This race also attracts a lot of walkers so if you are a walker or a run-walker, you will feel welcome here.

DSCN7902_thumb.jpg

Register online at the Avondale 5K website.

October 10: Lowcountry Trail Half Marathon and 5K

If you’re more of a trail runner or live in the Johns Island area, the Lowcountry Trail Half Marathon and 5K might be the race for you. Held at Mullet Hall Equestrian Center, the race is on horse trails and shaded.

DSCN6321_thumb.jpg

While I haven’t run the half marathon, I ran the inaugural 5K. Charleston County Parks and Recreation always does a great job with their races, offering tech shirts, swag, and delicious refreshments- including pizza and beer in 2013.

DSCN6308_thumb.jpg

For newbies or those just getting into running, Charleston County also offers a 5K training program with this race as its “graduation race”. The trail is beautiful but technical, so it is probably not the course for a PR. With the mid-October timing, it works well if you’re training for a winter marathon, ultra, or half.

Register through the Charleston County Parks website.

November 14: Old Village Harbor 5K

If you want a cool road race with great views of the Charleston Harbor, door prizes, and a fun t-shirt, check out the Old Village Harbor 5K. This longtime race course runs through one of Mt. Pleasant’s most beautiful neighborhoods, and the homeowners and business owners come out to spectate and cheer for the runners.

DSCN6423_thumb.jpg

I’ve raced the Old Village Harbor 5K twice, and each year (2013 and 2014), I left with a sweetgrass basket Christmas ornament as an age group award. I hang these on my tree each year. Winning a Christmas ornament has inspired me to put up a running-themed Christmas tree full of race medals this year.

DSCN6455_thumb.jpg

Local Charleston artist Tate Nation does custom artwork for the race t-shirts each year as well. While the shirts are cotton, it’s a fun shirt to wear when you’re not running, or the art would make a great centerpiece on a race t-shirt quilt.

The race also offers tons of door prizes, so you’ll want to stick around to hear your race number called (Tip: If you go to your car to change clothes after a race, take your number to the finish). It also features a good mix of faster runners, run-walkers, and walkers.

DSCN6419_thumb.jpg

Register online at Timing Inc’s website.

I don’t receive any kickbacks if you do or don’t run these events, but local race directors and charities put a lot of time, effort, and money into them. If you’re in Charleston and not sure about which races to run this Fall, I hope you’ll consider some of these or support at least one local race this Fall.

This entry was posted in Charleston, Charleston Running, Charleston SC, Running and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Friday Five: Five Fall Races in the Charleston Area

1. i’m a big fan of smaller, local races. looks like you have some great options down in charleston.

We do! We have some bigger races as well, but they are coming up later in the year (I’m not sure I’d consider a December race a Fall race). I’m excited about a lot of upcoming races around here.

2. Kristin says:

Fabulous fall races!! Pretty cool just like you!! Yep you’re awesome!! Have a fab Friday!! 💗

3. These look really fun! I visited Charleston for the first time a few weeks ago – I loved it and loved running in the city! I would love a race that ends with burritos 🙂

4. Looks like the folks in Charleston know how to have fun! I love that Sweet Grass award. I just saw the women who make those baskets on TV. So cool!!

They’re not as prevalent as they once were (maybe because Mt. Pleasant is so much more developed than it was 15 years ago), but when I was a kid, the basket makers used to line Hwy 17 North into the city and sell them by the road. You can still find some along 17 North as well as downtown making and selling baskets- and you can definitely find Sweetgrass baskets around here.

5. Liz says:

Those sound like some fun runs! I haven’t really done any races I was blown away with. I mean, I haven’t done that many at all- maybe 5-10, but I was always a bit let down with them. There is a Braves Country 4 Miler that’s pretty cool cause you end in Turner Field and run through some cool areas by the stadium (although, a lot of the run was through a bit of the ghetto too) but they’re moving Turner Field so I think it’ll lose a lot of that awesome feel if they keep it up! Maybe I would have been more motivated to keep running if they had more things like Charleston/Mt Pleasant has.

Don’t get me wrong, we have some less-than-stellar races here too. It’s usually kind of obvious which ones they are so you can figure out to stay away. I tend to run whatever my friends are running and being with people I like always makes it fun. We do have a lot of races here so I think organizations are realizing they need to offer something if they want to attract runners.

6. runsonsyrup says:

Sounds like you have an excellent season lined up. Have fun!!

Thanks- I honestly haven’t decided which races I’m running this Fall (although I know a few of these will be included). I hope to do a couple new-to-me races as well.

7. I looked into doing Raccoon Rush, but it looked like they didn’t have day of packet pickup and I didn’t want to drive all the way out there twice.
    However, I will be doing the trail half.

I’m pretty sure they have packet pick up the day of the race. They did last year- I don’t see how any race can NOT have packet pick up the day of the race (but I know some races don’t, particularly Rock and Roll).

I can definitely find out for you if you’re interested in running it (I also have a discount code I can share)

8. Jennifer says:

That running gecko is hilarious. I like that you have many race options in your area – they all sounds fun!

We have a ton- multiple races each week. I actually think we have too many because this area doesn’t have enough runners to support 4-6 races a weekend and the bubble is going to burst soon (when the super small races realize how hard it is to raise enough money with participants to make planning a race worthwhile).

9. Elizabeth C. says:

A super helpful blog for the local running community! All of those races sound like a lot of fun, and I’d definitely be interested if I lived in Charleston!

Thanks- yeah I’m hoping this gets a lot of local hits (it got a lot of “likes” on my Facebook wall, at least). I won’t be doing all these races this year but I will run some of them.