Weekly Rundown: August 24-30 Training Log

I felt a little funky this week, so I didn’t run as much as I would’ve liked to. I had a sore throat and minor sinus issues, so I ran easier and shorter during the week. My medicine made me feel a little woozy, but I managed to get some runs in.

Taking it easier this week was good because I was busy with other activities. I ran a fast 5K at Race for the Ark, so a recovery week wasn’t a bad idea. For work, I attended a training class on keeping churches safe, and I also volunteered at the final Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K.

Images from the 2015 Daniel Island Happy Hour 5k series by Onshore Racing.

Images from the 2015 Daniel Island Happy Hour 5k series by Onshore Racing.

As a volunteer, I handed out finisher’s medals in pouring rain. It wasn’t raining when the race started and a few runners beat the rain, but over half the runners finished soaking wet.

Images from the 2015 Daniel Island Happy Hour 5k series by Onshore Racing.

I was soaked and cold at the end. This probably wasn’t good for my throat or sinuses, but I love the sport and loved seeing everyone smile when they finished and got the medal.

This week, I ran 37.5 miles. I also did a BodyPump class, 60 minutes of Arc Trainer-ing and a sunrise yoga class.

Monday: 60 minutes BodyPump + 5.15 miles

Tuesday: No workout

Wednesday: 60 minutes sunrise yoga + 6.2 miles

Thursday: 6 miles

Friday: 60 minutes arc trainer

Saturday: 10.15 miles (Cooper River Bridge)

Sunday: 10 miles

In hopes of feeling better and satisfying my sweet tooth, I’ve been eating this Ben and Jerry’s Milk and Cookies ice cream. It was on sale so I picked up a pint to try- and It’s probably the most delicious pint of ice cream I’ve ever had. I pity the fools who eat “frozen dairy desserts” or fat-free, sugar-free (taste free) ice cream. Why even bother?

I love Ben & Jerry’s. It’s yummy and made with love by hippies in Vermont.

My runs this week were uneventful. My car wouldn’t crank so I skipped speedwork. With the sinus mess and the car problems, I’ll worry about track and tempos when I feel better, no need to push it. I was mostly sad to miss the post-speedwork drinks.

I did my longer weekend runs (10 on the bridge on Saturday morning, then 10 with OnShore on Sunday morning). I definitely brought up the back of the pack with my paces, but slow is the new fast, right?

11951944_437793323075019_236606932473119465_n

Besides that, I slept a lot- Antihistamines do that to you. Now just hoping for a speedier, cooler, and less sickly week next week!

Pictures from the Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K are courtesy of Brian Fancher Photography. Brian is a local runner and triathlete, as well as a fellow TrySports Mount Pleasant ambassador. Please consider Brian Fancher Photography for your sports, wedding, portrait, or commercial photography needs.

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Weekly Rundown: August 24-30 Training Log

1. wanderwolf says:

I hope you have a better week too! Though for a “down” week, yours was pretty awesome. 🙂

2. Feel better! That ice cream looks fab. I never eat the sugar free stuff. I will do dairy free ice cream, like stuff made with coconut milk on occasion. Technically, dairy screws with my stomach and coconut milk is pretty rich so it’s a good substitute. Most times, I don’t care and eat the real stuff anyway…even knowing I will be in for a world of hurt later!

I’ve had the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream before. It’s good. Dairy doesn’t usually bother me anymore, so I don’t buy it on a regular basis, but it’s a good option for anyone with issues or lactose intolerance.

3. Steph says:

Aww, feel better soon. That picture of you in the rain is so cute. And I’m right there with ya on the ice cream thing. There is no substitute for the real deal!

Feeling much better now and I agree, nothing beats real ice cream. My grandma and I used to eat it together up until she got extremely sick and could not live at home.

4. Man, I’m sorry you weren’t feeling well. Looks like you had fun handing out medals despite the rain, though! You look much happier than I would be in the rain! Eat a pint of ice cream for me? Hubby won’t let me keep it in the house…lol 🙂

I was freezing in the picture, and while I wasn’t extremely thrilled with being cold and wet, that’s what I signed up to volunteer for. It would suck if the volunteers bailed if I were racing, so we just smiled and made the best of the rainy situation. Everyone had a lot of fun anyway.

5. I HATE running when I don’t feel well. It’s so hard to find the energy and my breathing gets all messed up when I’m having sinus issues. You had a great week anyway!! And Ben & Jerry’s is basically like medicine.. good choice 🙂

6. Christine says:

Sometimes rest weeks are necessary. Hope you’re feeling better now! One of these years I’ll run the Daniel Island Thirsty Thursday series (or at the very least, one of the races).

I’ve actually *never* run the course. I’ve volunteered at both water stations and the start and finish. I should go out and run the course someday, a lot of people really like it because it’s a very packed trail (so not too difficult, muddy, or technical).

I did ride the course in a golf cart… the views are beautiful.

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

I hope you feel better this week and get in some good miles! Ben and Jerry’s is so good – I can never do that low sugar or low fat stuff, and even though I should do the dairy free stuff for my stomach, I just can’t. If I’m going to have ice cream, it needs to be ice cream!

Agreed- if you’re going to have a dessert, make it worth it :). Just don’t have too much and hopefully it won’t bother your tummy (but really… one serving is so small!).

8. plumpetals says:

Hope you feel better this week!
    For a rest week you were still really active! 🙂

I am feeling better now. It wasn’t exactly a rest week (hehe), but I definitely took the paces of my runs easier. I don’t usually post paces in the blog posts (they are in my training log for me to review, but it’s not something everyone needs to know or cares about). I’m excited to hit the track this week.

9. hope you are feeling better. i completely agree w/you on the ice cream front. if you want ice cream, just eat ice cream!!

I think I’m finally over it. I had a great 8 miler this morning and haven’t felt stuffy or pressured in a few days. Good ice cream is the best and perhaps feeling better is due to finishing off that Ben & Jerry’s last night…

10. Even for not feeling well you still had a solid week of running!
    That picture of you in the rain is priceless btw!!!!!
    Here’s to a healthy training week ahead!!!!

11. Wow, that picture of you soaking wet is adorable. It shows what a great volunteer you are!

12. A good bowl of Ben and Jerry’s should help you feel better. I just discovered a new flavor, Boom Chocolatta and it is amazing. Sorry you had to volunteer in the rain, but I am sure the runners were very appreciate of all the volunteers!