Weekly Rundown: August 17-23 Training Log

I decided “Weekly Rundown” was a fun name for a training log post, especially since I’m not training for a particular goal race. I’m enjoying summer running, beating the heat, and working on building a nice base for some speedy 5Ks and a winter half marathon.

I had a couple of great runs, as well as birthday drinks, a race, two dates with Clay, and a going away pool party. Although summer is coming to an end and I realize I haven’t been on a formal “vacation” or even left Charleston much, I’ve had a really fun few months. I kinda enjoy having the type of life that I don’t need a vacation from.

This week, I ran 39.5 miles. I also did a BodyPump class and a sunrise yoga class.

Monday: 60 minutes BodyPump

Tuesday: 9.15 miles

Wednesday: Sunrise yoga + 5.1 miles speedwork

Thursday: 6.2 miles

Friday: No workout

Saturday: 7 miles, including Race for the Ark 5K (21:55- new “official” PR)

Sunday: 12 miles.

After running 13 miles on Sunday and not sleeping well that night, I cut my usual Monday cross training short and only did BodyPump. Normally I do an easy run or arc trainer session, but I spent the evening watching Orange in the New Black with Clay and laying around on the couch. You really can’t argue with extra recovery the day after a 13-miler, especially with a 5K coming up and little sleep.

1621675_10152463503070888_3516343457025823339_n

Tuesday, I woke up a little early and logged some extra miles before work. I work at home, but I have set hours and have to be at work around 8. I got out at 6:30, so I had time for an extra 2 miles in the neighborhood before a busy day of meetings- I had 3 meetings on Tuesday!

On Wednesday, I headed to the track to run with the Summerville Tri Club. Our workout this week was 6 x 800m, which is one of my favorite workouts. Whether you’re training for a 5K or a marathon, 6 x 800m is a great workout. I ran the first one a little easy, ran consistently for the next four, and went all out on the last rep.

It was hot and certainly didn’t feel like Fall weather, but  the Summerville football team and cross country team were practicing and that’s a good reminder that cooler temperatures are on the way.

11148641_10153426952281708_4430483079762643444_n

We had a great crowd at the track and afterwards, we headed to Montreux to celebrate Theresa’s birthday and have recovery beverages.

11880613_10153426952326708_6055037608586159462_n

On Saturday, I ran the Race the Ark 5K, a local race that benefits Alzheimer’s and dementia awareness. My uncle passed away after having Alzheimer’s, and my grandma had dementia in her later years, so this is a very special cause for me.

I always run better when I run in memory or honor of someone, and I set a new “official” 5K PR- 21:55.

I’ve run faster paced races, but all of those 5K courses were slightly short (3.05-3.08). Race the Ark is certified and a true 5K PR. It was 72 degrees and 100% humidity, so I’m hoping to run even faster in cooler temperatures if I can stay healthy. I placed 2nd in my age group and I will post a full recap later this week.

The race was really big for a small town, with almost 500 runners and many of them high school cross country kids- making it a fast field and course. I ran even splits, and my last mile was the fastest (7:02, 7:03, 7:01, :48). Best of all, I got to share the race with some awesome people like Aisha, Mark, and Melissa B. We will miss Melissa B. since she is off to medical school next week.

On Sunday, I headed out for 12 miles downtown, including 8 miles with the OnShore Racing crew, followed by Melissa’s  going away pool party and preparing for the upcoming work week. It was a busy weekend and I have a busy week coming up, but after Race the Ark, I’m pretty motivated to keep working hard.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Weekly Rundown: August 17-23 Training Log

1. lolorunnah says:

Awesome job on the 5k !!

2. Hollie says:

Congrats Amy on a PR. I’m glad you were finally able to run on a certified course. It sounds like your training has been going smoothly!

3. Congrats yet again… you continue to obliterate those PRs…. As for the sleep graphic, that is so me!

4. I love the award for the race! Cute! Congrats on the PR. Also, I completely agree with the sleep thing! I am never tired when its actually time to sleep – much to the dismay of my husband!

5. wanderwolf says:

Nice rundown! Congrats on the PR and the party drinks. 🙂 Sounds like a pretty awesome week!

6. Congrats on your new PR! I’m so impressed with how even your splits are. I always positive split 5ks because I run them like I’ve ever raced anything before!

I have always run positive splits in races too. I’ve been working on running all my training runs at negative split paces. Even at speedwork, I intentionally run the first rep at less effort bc I know I’ll be wiped by the last rep. Old habits are hard to break, though. It’s really not bad to positive split a 5K because it’s just 3 miles so you can possibly hold on if you take the first mile too fast (Unlike a half or full!)

7. GREAT JOB on the 5k!!!!! Its always a good feeling to race for a cause close to the heart
    : )
    you’ve had some great training and speed workouts over the past few months and its starting to pay off! and to think,summer isn’t even over yet, so I have NO doubts whatsoever you will crush this official PR before the years end!
    Overall sounds like a solid week full of good running, good friends ,and good times!!!
    *hugs*

8. thisrunnersrecipes says:

Congrats on your 5K PR – that’s an amazing time! Your splits on that are so perfectly even. It sounds like you’ve had a great week overall of training – and cooler weather is almost here!

I am looking forward to cooler temps. I know it’ll be at least 3 weeks before we see any here, but that’s not too much longer! Usually by mid-September the mornings are a lot more bearable here.

9. Oh my gosh that picture is me. I sleep worse at night in my bed than anywhere and anytime else.
    Great workouts and woohoo on the PR cannot believe you did that when it is so stinking hot.

10. Ellie says:

Solid week of running! Great time for the 5K

11. Congrats on your new official PR and hoorayyy for 2nd place! :D!!